It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be concerned about Acrylamide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article on acrylamide I dug up while searching. I've heard about it before but this time I found an article which is kind of alarming.

www.hc-sc.gc.ca...

I recommend reading the entire article but here's the health concern paragraph.

Does acrylamide pose a health risk to humans?

According to a recently concluded meeting of the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization Expert Committee on Food Additives and Contaminants (JECFA), acrylamide in food may be a human health concern.

However, both Health Canada and JECFA agree that it is currently not possible to determine the precise level of risk for human health. Because acrylamide is known to cause cancer in animals, further research on the effects of exposure to acrylamide is needed before the risks of acrylamide exposure from food can be fully understood.

Work continues in this area, and as the results of new studies become available, Health Canada will continue to evaluate the level of risk associated with dietary exposure to acrylamide.

Health Canada estimates that the typical Canadian adult is exposed, on average, to about 0.4 micrograms (millionths of a gram) of acrylamide per kilogram body weight each day (0.4 μg/kg b.w./day). This preliminary estimation of exposure is consistent with exposures that have been estimated in other countries.

So it looks like acrylamide may pose as a health hazard to humans. In response Health Canada is now determining how much is a safe amount. It's found in potato chips, french fries and many other products that reach high temperatures during processing. I wonder how often one would have to consume chips in order to put themselves at risk?. Any comments on this?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Everything now adays seems to cause cancer, i wouldnt dwell upon it..

P.S.
Havent been on this site for a year or 2 and everytime i come back it always looks sooo different......anywayz keep up the good work

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
An issue that needs more attention IMO.

This is a Government of Canada website and the story made it briefly to the national news level.

Another reason to avoid junk food.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think this should be taken seriously. I don´t think it´s dangerous to consume these products in smaller amounts, but too much of it and it may increase the risk of cancer. I´m no expert on this, but that´s what I think anyway. We need to know which products have the greater amounts of acrylamides and then try to eat/drink a little less of those products. Instant coffee is one of those products. I drink instant coffee even though I know it contains acrylamids. I really should try to drink a little less instant coffee, stop being so "lazy" and make more "real" coffee instead. "Real" coffee taste better too. Instant coffee is for the lazy people. I still eat potato chips, but not as much as I used to...

top topics

join