It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: On Breaking News...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
For the third time in the last four weeks big news stories (London x2 and today's plane crash in Toronto) broke while I was at work (where I don't logon anywhere that's not directly work related). You want to know something?

ATSNN Rocks!!!

While those stories broke I had more details and had them faster than the other people at the office. They where all looking at the usual suspects of major newswires and sites that have frequently updated, but "static", content and sites with live content where usually giving them access trouble due to high traffic. Me?

I was on ATS reading details being posted by members reporting the coverage from many different sources. Where else can you get coverage from different places around the world in real time?

Today, people at work where coming to me to know what was going with the plane crash and they wanted to know where I was getting my info.

I don't know what they though of the site since I only had the news thread open with frequent refreshing, but they were impressed. They were a little less impressed when some members made some stupid remarks and mods had to step in. Very unprofessional.

I do know one thing about the people I work with. If they start to read wild speculation, political barbs, personal attacks, sweeping blanket statements etc… they will not be back.

Credibility is an elusive quality.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by speaking for all of the mods and admin when I say that ATSNN - especially during a live breaking event - will be held to a higher standard.

Some mods have been making an effort lately and have been receiving a lot of grief from members who just don't get it.

ATSNN is a member driven news portal (as is ATS in general). Like our new Council, it's an online community experiment, because at ATSNN "we cover the coverage".

In a community the police don’t, and really can’t, force people to behave. The people are expected to behave themselves.

Quality and credibility is not up to the mods it's up to the members.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yes you are so right, the site's credibility is completely in the hands of the members. Who are in turn kept in check by staff mind you. Admin, supers and mods oh my don't forget councilors, are members too, just with more responsibilities. The bad apples who can not control themselves will be seen for who and what they are. Some thing I hope, that will not reflect poorly upon the rest. This may not be world news, but it does make a point, one that should be taken into consideration by all to learn from.

If only every one here could act with maturity and self control, however when teenagers and immature adults, well I'm sure the point is under stood.

It would be nice if ATS was a household word, who knows some day...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Amen, agree 100%

We have a wonderfully diverse community, lets keep it smart and civil!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey I had an idea. What if the members of this site bought a location, a lot as you may for the ATS community to turn into a studio. Abandoned movie theatre, empty warehouse whatever. Maybe with the backing of some third party politician ATS could open up a studio with a news station. Get out own little channel, throw out a few start-up tv shows related to the nature of the site to attract viewers, in turn attracting advertisers to pay for the broadcasting. Well it may sound far-fetched, but it is a dream I wish could come true. I would just love to actually turn on the tv again and watch exclusive news coverage by ATS on topics the major media are many times not allowed to talk about. Would be awesome.

What kind of timeline and start-up costs would be required for this though? And lets not forget we can stream the news online. What about it founder does this sound interesting at all?

Besides if we became a credible news-source we wouldnt have to worry too much about the ill-mannered immature members that make us look unprofessional at times.

[edit on 8/2/2005 by DYepes]

[edit on 8/2/2005 by DYepes]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ATS is a blocked site at my office, so I don't get the luxury of having access to the most up-to-date information posted by our esteemed members.

But they forgot about ATSNN!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nerdling, I couldn't agree with you more!

As for DYepes:

In local markets here in the US you can get a half-hour show (20-22 mins actual air time) for about $400-600 per show.

No, this is not national . . . but you have to start somewhere.

The particular market "quoted" covers a 1.2 million viewing audience.

Antennae, Cable and Satellite . . . SouthCentral PA, MD, VA, WV, and DC via SAT.

Like I said you have to start somewhere.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Dyeps, the TV thing sounds a little far out, yet it's possible. And to think how ATS has grown...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I have to agree with the thread-originator. I too have gotten some of my first news bulletins via ATS.
That's a very good thing. It is a means of communication by which we can all assist eachother. Those attempting to put forth rumors as news will eventually be weeded out.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I full heartedly believe in everything you've posted. It turns me off to read posts (during breaking news, or ANY OTHER NEWS POST for that matter) that have nothing to do with the news presented.

Ever since the news voting was implemented, just about everytime theres a new post, every single one of them seems to be started with a members opinion on why it should or should not be in ATSNN. Isnt that what the voting is for? Why do posters feel the need to state their opinion in the thread in an attempt to derail the post during the voting?

Wish the mods could delete these posts, or even better, the members would stop posting why they voted what way.. no one cares. If the story is upgraded, then obviously the members feel its worthy of ATSNN. If you disagree then you need to agree to disagree to yourself. Posting your complaint on the thread does nothing but degrade the news discussion presented.

Example:
www.atsnn.com...

Notice posts 2, 3, and 4 on the first page argue why it should or should not be on ATS... WORTHLESS DEGRADING DISCUSSION.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Excellent post Gools. I think that the members here do a great job. Yesterday I was impressed with the speed that the news got to us. I hadn't heard about it, as I was in the car when it happened but when I picked the wife up she told me. She wanted to get home and turn on the TV, I told here that she would get the info faster on ATSNN, the members didn't let me down. I was getting a lot of it before it was on TV. And we live about 40 minutes away from the crash site.

Job well done.

To echo what Gools was saying, ATSNN HAS to be kept at a higher standard.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Good Op/Ed Gools, bang on with what I expect from ATSNN as well. It is playing with fire when "we cover the coverage" as every one has an opinion and invariably we like to express them

Its the innappropriate barbs and such which you quite rightly highlight as being completely unacceptable.

top topics

join