It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pentagon Bans Press Release "Anonymous Quoting"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Acting after an incident involving The US Army 3rd Infantry Division using almost identical quotes which were atributed to unnamed Iraqi's, the Pentagon has banned the use of anonymous quoting in press releases. The incident was called an "egregious error" by chief Pentagon spokesman Lawrence DiRita and is under investigation. A July 29 Memo was sent to the service secretaries and military chiefs stating "The use of anonymous quotations in a Department of Defence press statement is prohibited."

www.abc.net.au
Any statements that included comments by third parties must identify them and have their permission to use them, it said.

Two 3rd Infantry Division statements about 10 days apart quoted an unnamed Iraqi official as criticising an insurgent bombing in nearly identical terms as "enemies of humanity without religion or any sort of ethics."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The memo also stated that press statements should be drafted by "trained public affairs professionals" and not delegated to others.

Well it looks like all news coming out now will be "the official line" and not allow for any slip throughs of information not previously approved from the higher ups.

Many witnesses and people making such statements will now be afraid to do so in light of identification and possible retribution.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This was to be expected. They couldnt just ignore that little blunder, they had to make it look like they were doing something about it.

However, they should of just fallen back on the fact that the Bush administration has said they will allow disinformation to be fed to the World and the American public if it strengthens America's interest and security.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This will change nothing. Propaganda was invented for a reason. It was invented to sway the thoughts, beliefs, and feelings of individuals in the region and elsewhere.

Old style:

"'The terrorists are attacking the infrastructure, the ISF and all of Iraq. They are enemies of humanity without religion or any sort of ethics. They have attacked my community today and I will now take the fight to the terrorists,' said one Iraqi man who preferred not to be identified."

New Style:

"'The terrorists are attacking the infrastructure, the ISF and all of Iraq. They are enemies of humanity without religion or any sort of ethics. They have attacked my community today and I will now take the fight to the terrorists,' stated Mohadi Makaname.

Expect a slew of names that cant be cross referenced.

[edit on 8/2/2005 by QuietSoul]

join