It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: The Ohio Special Election - 2nd Congressional District *RESULTS COMING IN*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A special election is taking place today in Ohio's second congressional district. Jean Schmidt (R) is facing off against Democrat Paul Hackett in an election that has captured the attention of the nation.

news.cincypost.com
In today's special 2nd Congressional District race between Republican Jean Schmidt and Democrat Paul Hackett, the victor will replace former U.S. Rep. Rob Portman, R-Terrace Park, who resigned earlier this year to accept President Bush's cabinet-level appointment as U.S. trade representative. The seven-county district stretches from eastern Hamilton County and southern Warren County east to Portsmouth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Paul Hackett is an Iraq war veteran who is vocally critical of President Bushes policy and decisions regarding the conflict. He is fighting in a heavily Republican district which polled at over 70% GOP in the previous election. Many eyes are on the candidate who may shape the future of political discourse based on his results tonight.

After making appearances on MSNBC's hardball Hackett has impressed many but it remains to be seen if he can impress those where it counts: the polling booth.

Jean Schmidt has served 4 years in the Ohio House representing the 66th district. She has a formidable pack of endorsements ranging from the NRA to the Fraternal order of Police.

Hacketts endorsements range from Fmr Gen Wesley Clarke to the Cincinatti Post. As well as the support from several unions.

ATSNN will have full coverage of the Ohio 2nd Race as the results come in.

Related News Links:
hackettforcongress.com
www.jeanschmidt.com
www.onnnews.com

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I saw this on the news last night. My prediction is that he'll lose and go back to Iraq as promised. But the kicker here is that he'll meet his demise a la Pat Tillman in order to permanently shut him up.

Don't go back Hackett!! You've done enough for your country already.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Diebold can deliver this one for Jean too. Ohio elections are just a sham!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
56 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 6,562 51%
JEAN SCHMIDT 6,276 49%

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
175 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 13,512 51%
JEAN SCHMIDT 12,802 49%

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
305 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 23,957 51%
JEAN SCHMIDT 22,846 49%

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Wow, this is a nail biter

Paul Hackett (D) 30,322 50%
Jean Schmidt (R) 29,776 50%

With 409 precincts reporting

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Schmidt pulled ahead:

Jean Schmidt (R) 45,134 52%
Paul Hackett (D) 42,342 48%

580/763 precincts reporting

www.channelcincinnati.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
662 precincts of 753 reporting
JEAN SCHMIDT 49,681 50%
PAUL HACKETT 48,811 50%

back to almost level.

this is real close!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Ohio TV is reporting that Clermont County is reporting voting irregularities.

They are now counting by hand.

thats why its taking so damn long.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Getting too close for comfort and they need to find a way to help Jean pull out a bigger lead?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is video of her in polling places handing out freebies and breaching the 100ft barrier.

Naughty naughty!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
There is a new video coming out... Voting in Ohio for A**Hats.

When I lived in Florida I used to see alot of NY plates. I don't recall seeing many Ohio plates. You'd think they were sharing voters.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
753 precincts of 753 reporting
JEAN SCHMIDT 57,974 52%
PAUL HACKETT 54,401 48%

Clermont came through for Schmidt, after downtime and voting irregularities. I don't think its over.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I rest my case. A 4% jump in the lead after about 85% of the precincts were already counted. Seems suspicious.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wait a minute....

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
753 precincts of 753 reporting
JEAN SCHMIDT 57,974 52%
PAUL HACKETT 54,401 48%

www.wcpo.com...

Schmidt 59,095
Hackett 55,091

100% precincts

Link: news.cincinnati.com.../20050802/NEWS01/308020015/0/CINCI

?????

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
and a THIRD SET of final numbers?

wtf is going on???

www.hamilton-co.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Six Ohio servicemen killed on the same day. Any connection do you suppose? Was this likely to affect any meaningful change in voter inclination? Is this sort of manipulation of public conscience meaningless in the face of possible vote-machine malfeasance?

In other words, was this event in Baghdad a coincidence, an attempt at manipulating voters, or what?

I'd say it's two unusual coincidences, made somewhat irrelevant by modern technology to assist in vote fraud..but still caught my eye, and rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd ask the question here.

Probably nothing, right?

Whoa..seeing those numbers in disagreement makes my question irrelevant. This election is going the way of so many before it, it seems. Another crowbar wedged in the great divide? Methinks so...

[edit on 2-8-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The only reason it was close is Hackett was running as Bush's best friend, looking at his ads, you couldn't tell he was a Democrat.

Transcript of ad.

PRESIDENT BUSH: There is no higher calling than service in our armed forces.

HACKETT: I agreed with that and that's what led me to serve and fight with my Marines in Iraq. Those words are a part of me. These young men and women, they get it. We're going to help these people. We're all over there because we think America is worth fighting for and take responsibility for your actions. I think Washington, DC, needs more of that type of leadership. I'm Paul Hackett. I approved this message, and I respectfully ask for your vote on August 2nd.

Looks like we have the Democrats secret weapon...pretend to be a Republican.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well maybe in his ads, but his rhetoric was quite harsh. He even called Bush an S.O.B. and insinuated the greatest threat to the U.S. is Bush not bin Laden...

I think if he had been a little less harsh, he might have actually won.

Anyway, well done Schmidt! Congrats!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join