It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer treatment nano style....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I found these articles fascinating. It would appear that 'nano' technology even in this basic form is reaping benefits already.

BBC.co.uk/News
Nanotechnology has been harnessed to kill cancer cells without harming healthy tissue.
The technique works by inserting microscopic synthetic rods called carbon nanotubules into cancer cells.

When the rods are exposed to near-infra red light from a laser they heat up, killing the cell, while cells without rods are left unscathed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

BBC.co.uk/News
A nanocell that can burrow into a tumour, cut off its blood supply and detonate a lethal dose of anti-cancer toxins has been developed.
The double-action therapy, which comes packed in a tiny double chamber, leaves healthy cells unscathed.

It has proved safe and effective against melanoma and a form of lung cancer in mice.

news.bbc.co.uk...

After seeing people who have been exposed to the rather brutal chemotherapy these potential treatments are absolutely amazing and I hope they have every success in adapting them to all types of cancer.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Looks promising, i wonder what the costs are like though ?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
whats the likely time frame for these new treatments.sounds promosing though

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kittens Cause Cancer
Looks promising, i wonder what the costs are like though ?

Cost would be nothing compared to finding a way to specificaly target cancer cells. The savings to the health care system and to mankind would be immesurable.

That being said, lots of questions to be answered here, and the potential for weapons applications will be scary as well.

top topics

join