It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New F-15 upgrade programme to take it upto 2025

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
[SIZE=4]Breakthrough in self-protection programme to allow updated aircraft to operate alongside F/A-22 Raptor until 2025[/SIZE]

>>Click here
[SIZE=1]
A long-awaited self-protection upgrade for the US Air Force’s Boeing F-15 fleet appears to be a done deal, with a new-start development programme for a wideband digital radar warning receiver (RWR) planned to move forward in 2008.

Upgrading the F-15’s analogue threat receiver – BAE Systems’ ALR-56C – has become a top acquisition priority after years of indecision. The latest digital RWR technology not only passively scans for threat emissions, but can also locate the source of hostile radar with weapons-aiming precision. That may give the F-15 a limited electronic-attack role, a capability once reserved for dedicated electronic-warfare (EW) aircraft such as the retired General Dynamics EF-111 Raven and the current Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler. It would also help to level the EW capabilities of the F-15 and the Lockheed Martin/Boeing F/A-22 Raptor, which are expected to operate together until 2025.

US Special Operations Command is fitting Raytheon ALR-69(V)9 digital RWRs on its Lockheed MC-130s and a Northrop system is also understood to be part of its EW suite for the United Arab Emirates’ Lockheed F-16 Block 60 fighters.

Five companies have agreed to participate in the technology survey, which will wrap up in late fiscal year 2006 or early FY07. Participants are likely to include the four top US-based EW contractors – BAE, ITT, Northrop and Raytheon.

The objective now is to integrate digital RWRs on all 179 F-15C/Ds and 225 F-15Es that the USAF intends to keep in its inventory through 2025. The development and demonstration phase is expected to yield a core capability that the USAF says will improve on the performance of the F-15’s existing RWR and also provide better supportability.
[/SIZE]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmm..interesting stuff...but will the upgrading of the F-15's translate to compromises to F-22 upgradations or is it independant of the latter's induction numbers.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Awesome!

The F-15 is a joy to see in flight, I enjoyed a simple demonstration of a F-15 alot more pleasing than the Blue Angel's F-18s, the F-15 is an impressive aircraft to see but it's also an excellent aircraft in it's roles, the F-15E is an awesome plane.

Good to see my old favorites like the F-15 and A-10 go beyond 2010!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
to be honest i expected the US to show some urgency in replacing the F-15's with F-22's and especially so after the poor showing of the F-15's against upgraded Mig-21's, low end Su-30K's(not the MKI) of the Indian Air Force in air exercises coupled with the recent Chinese military upgrades and more so after the pentagon recently declared China as a very real military threat and more more so after China threatened to massively nuke the US.

But it appears that Unkil
has decided that an upgraded 70's airplane is sufficient to take on and beat the chinese af till 2025....and this move is kinda reassuring in that aspect
...and it perhaps means that no airforce will even come close to the USAF till 2025 (when it will be using a 70's design) ......but if you really examine the situation, it dose'nt come as a big surprise 'cause China has an airforce that still has hundreds of Mig-19's that are still operational.....and ~500 Mig-21's and that too as reverse engineered copies called j-6 and j-7.

But i presume this is rather harsh news for the raptor holics of whom there is no shortage of.

Your thoughts ?

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
yeah.. Everything's being given a jack till 2020-2025...
Even the likes of the Mig-21 (Bison)
and also something called the F-4E Phantom 2020 (callsign "terminator").. Came upon this when reading up on the Turkish AF..

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
These 2025 dates are really more optomistic than real truth. More F-35s and F/A-22s will be built when they realize that fighters do not last that long. They may come out with a much improved and changed F-15 I still don't think the F-15 will last that long.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Nice idea... But my only question is why, if the Raptor comes a long the USAAF would have too many fighters if you can say so, and it wouldn't be economical...
And if they are making these kind of adjustments it means that they aren't perfectly sure, that the Raptor can operate alone... So if they uppgrade the (F-15) eagle, they can then make an excuse for not useing the Raptor in combat...

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
They'll be retiring the older F-15C/Ds and replacing them with the Raptors, and upgrading the newer C/D/Es. That's what they did with the As when they transitioned to Cs. They retired the older ANG A models, and replaced them with newer As (ie 74-75 As retired, replaced by 76-77 As). They aren't going to buy enough Raptors to completely replace the -15 fleet, so they need something to complement it.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
They can still manufacture brand new F-15’s off the assembly line if they want too. They don’t just have to upgrade the existing fleet, It all depends of course on cost and necessity.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
How much does a fully loaded F-15 with all the upgraded parts cost ?? ..if it exceeds that of an F-35, then such upgrades dont seem very wise.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The price for an F-15E, fully upgraded, roughly 38.5 to 45 million.

seekerof

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
could it be that the US found out that China has more aircraft than the reports are saying?

The f15s will be the main fleet and the f22 will be the sf , the US is realizing that they might need more aircraft that s are "cheaper" and a known fighter while still being a useable aircraft.

I like the idea it puts more wings iin the air which is always a good thing!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If F-15 really have to being in service till 2025, I consider that the most important thing is refit F110-GE-229 which almost all of newest F-16 has been fitted.
The engine power not enough is serious problem to the F-15 that has been proved can't compite with Su-27.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Quite expensive... 40 million... A hornet C/D costs about 28 and the E model 50-55...
(dollar)

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It seams that it is being done as a budget consession. F-22 and F-35 planes are very expensive to build.
If we can extend the life of our current fighters 10+ years we can build up the fleet of new planes more slowly.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

to be honest i expected the US to show some urgency in replacing the F-15's with F-22's and especially so after the poor showing of the F-15's against upgraded Mig-21's, low end Su-30K's(not the MKI) of the Indian Air Force in air exercises

Still riding that bandwagon, eh? Aren't you beating a dead horse?

Current F-15's can beat the Su-30 (any varaint).

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567

No its you who is running away from the facts.

Its not I who made up anything, but its the USAF who said so. Read this article from an American mag - Inside The Air Force By Hampton Stephens

USAF: Indian Exercises Showed Need For F/A-22, Changes In Training

And the details and results of the exercises have been discussed to death here so please dont rake it up in this thread as well.

Soon after saying that the F-15 is way ahead of the Eurofighter, you come out with this.

Well all that I can say is Read this article fromAviation Week and Space Technology, By David A. Fulghum and Douglas Barrie

Su-30MK Beats F-15C Every Time in USAF simulations

And note that the Su-30MK is the bottomline Su-30 without TVC, canards, and uses an outdated pulse doppler radar(rather than the scanned p/a radar on the MKI) and has outdated aveonics and FBW software.

If you want details on the very latest flankers, then visit this linkl

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thats in close-in air-to-air combat, Stealth Spy, not BVR.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567

No its you who is running away from the facts.

Its not I who made up anything, but its the USAF who said so. Read this article from an American mag - Inside The Air Force By Hampton Stephens

USAF: Indian Exercises Showed Need For F/A-22, Changes In Training

And the details and results of the exercises have been discussed to death here so please dont rake it up in this thread as well.

Soon after saying that the F-15 is way ahead of the Eurofighter, you come out with this.

Well all that I can say is Read this article fromAviation Week and Space Technology, By David A. Fulghum and Douglas Barrie

Su-30MK Beats F-15C Every Time in USAF simulations

And note that the Su-30MK is the bottomline Su-30 without TVC, canards, and uses an outdated pulse doppler radar(rather than the scanned p/a radar on the MKI) and has outdated aveonics and FBW software.

If you want details on the very latest flankers, then visit this linkl

This is typical from you Stealth Spy, not knowing what the hell you're talking about.

You use the same links everytime when it is proven time and again that in the "Cope India" trials the F-15's had every single handicap in the book stacked against them! You make me laugh buddy, and yes, the F-15C is superior to any variant of the Su-30. Now please, go post your propaganda somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Chill out guys.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Chill out guys.

I am chill, it's just that we've been over Cope India and its "trials" over a dozen times, and in the past we've pretty much all agreed (except for one person) that the F-15's had numerous handicaps against them. That's all. Don't you?

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join