It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act sneak and peak clause used to bust drug tunnel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

very scary that "The Act" can allow them to enter set up shop and leave without the homeowners knowledge

Investigators used a "sneak-peak" warrant available under the U.S.A. Patriot Act to enter the U.S. house July 2 and later installed cameras and listening devices in the home.

Through those devices, authorities said they observed the defendants make multiple trips through the tunnel carrying large hockey bags or garbage bags later determined to contain marijuana.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I feel safer from terrorism already!

See? They aren't using this for terrorism! They're using it to invade people's homes and to make their jobs easier! This is abuse of the Patriot act already!

Yeah the people were breaking the law. Marijuana Terrorists! Are they on their way to Gitmo?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Benevolent Heretic, you don't have a problem with France doing the very same thing to its own citizens, do you?
Obviously, the French don't have a Patriot Act either....
UK monitors virtually everything. You don't have a problem with that, do you?

Your living post-911. Get used to it or move to Canada.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was wrong.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is exactly what it was intended for, who here can say they are surprised? It will get MUCH worse, just watch. Good find!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I was wrong.

No, you were right, intrepid.
The Canada reference was in jest, btw.

You know that.

seekerof

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Benevolent Heretic, you don't have a problem with France doing the very same thing to its own citizens, do you?
Obviously, the French don't have a Patriot Act either....
UK monitors virtually everything. You don't have a problem with that, do you?

I don't live in France. France is not my home. I don't really give a crap what they do in France. If they sneak into people's homes and plant cameras, then the French need to deal with that.

I wouldn't mind a camera every foot in PUBLIC, but not in the privacy of my home without my consent!!

Your living post-911. Get used to it or move to Canada.

This is my country. I will NOT leave. If they want to change the Constitution, that's one thing, but they're just stomping all over it! This makes me furious! And I will not be silenced by the cry of "Remember 9/11"!

Amendment IV - Right of search and seizure regulated

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Even the lowest drug dealer or murder has the rights provided by the Constitution! Do you get that?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Even the lowest drug dealer or murder has the rights provided by the Constitution! Do you get that?

Get a lawyer and take a chill pill.
Enjoy the post-911 world.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hello? McFly??? What, did you think there was no probable cause in this case? Do you think that some Feds just randomly decided to invoke the Patriot Act and go set up surveillance in some poor schlubs home (who just so happened to be an international drug trafficer)?

Did it ever occur to you for even one second that maybe, just maybe, the Feds knew there was something being smuggled through this sophisticated tunnel, and that maybe that they were'nt sure exactly what was in those trash bags and hockey duffels? Do you know how big C4 is and how much is weighs? Or biological toxins? Or VX nerve agent? Hell, a good number of vociferous members of this board are constantly carrying on about the alleged "suitcase nuke"......just how do you think one of these items might get into the US?

It cracks me up that the same people who are always crying "our boys are over in Iraq getting wasted when the real threat is Al-Queda at our borders" are also the same people who cry "the government can't conduct surveillance on us jst because they are suspicious".

Lesson leared to all you drug smugglers: don't engage in smuggling activities that could easily be mistaken for terrorist activities, because that Patriot Act will get you busted.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This must be like the first instance where someone not suspected to be involved in terrrorism has been apprehended through the Patriot act.

"WE ARE LOSING OUR LIBERTIES!!!!"

Hahaha, you people need to chill...

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Oh well I guess some people like the idea of living in a police state.
Well like they said enjoy the post 9/11 world

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ppbbfftt! Thats bunk.

Name for me one thng, just one thing, that has changed since 9/11 that is out of your control and has had a major negative impact on your life. Just one.

Cops been busting in your door? Has your library and video rental records been subpoenaed? Had any hidden mikes or cameas installed in your john? Maybe you've been harrassed on the street by some brownshirts........

The reality of the post 9/11 world is that practically nothing has changed from an internal security point of view. Police state....yeah, thats really rich.

If you want to understand how a real police state works, look up the following terms:

OVRA
NKVD
Gestapo
Stasi
SAVAK
DINA

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
Hello? McFly??? What, did you think there was no probable cause in this case? Do you think that some Feds just randomly decided to invoke the Patriot Act and go set up surveillance in some poor schlubs home (who just so happened to be an international drug trafficer)?

Well, "Tannen", are you implying that these people were suspected terrorists? Or do we just invoke the Patriot Act now any time it's convenient? Any time they suspect someone of breaking a law, they can invoke the good old Patriot Act.

Ever break any laws in the privacy of your home?

All I can say is next time you walk into your bathroom or prepare to get in bed, look around. Watch what you do. Because you might not really be 'alone'.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just because nothing has happened to me specifically doesnt mean its not there. The fact is the new system has too much room for abuse.. Your comparison to the gestapo is a blatant strawman argument. We are not comparing America with Nazi Germany, East Germany, the Soviet Union or any other hellhole. We are comparing modern America with the vision set forth by the founding fathers. If they had wanted the government to have the right to search you house with out obtaining a warrant they wouldnt have set up a rule that prohibits it. What happens when they decide these new changes arent sufficient to combat terrorism? What happens when they decide they need to tweak the rules even further?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
If they had wanted the government to have the right to search you house with out obtaining a warrant they wouldnt have set up a rule that prohibits it.

What gets me is that they had a warrant and served it! They were just too incompetent to find anything, I guess. They needed it spelled out for them!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Actually, as I understand, the Patriot Act wouldn't have been necessary for this. The ability for such operations already existed for drug cases under a preexisting law. The Patriot Act just expanded it.

So they would have still been able to do this operation, under a different law, if the Patriot Act never existed.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Actually, as I understand, the Patriot Act wouldn't have been necessary for this. The ability for such operations already existed for drug cases under a preexisting law. The Patriot Act just expanded it.

So they would have still been able to do this operation, under a different law, if the Patriot Act never existed.

I suspect you're right. Especially since they had a warrant! Do you happen to have a source?

The Patriot Act just made it easier to trample on privacy rights so they used it. Just because they could! They abused it, pure and simple. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The fact that this area is so well known for it's cash crop ( BC Bud) police knew what they were after and found a way to test the "rules of the game" .......The Patriot game

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
Do you think that some Feds just randomly decided to invoke the Patriot Act and go set up surveillance in some poor schlubs home (who just so happened to be an international drug trafficer)?

Thats right.

Why should we tie the feds hands with things like warrants, trials, lawyers, judges,etc?

After all we all KNOW they wouldn't lock you up unless they KNEW you were guilty. Why should they have to waste time proving all this? Shouldn't their word alone be enough to put the terrorists, whoops I mean potheads, away?

The only way we can remain free is if we allow the federal government total freedom to arrest, wire-tap, jail, etc whomever they wish without any questions from us. People just dont understand that.

Remember

Freedom is the right to do exactly as you are told without question

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Amuk]

new topics

top topics

join