It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sneak and Peak clause of Patriot Act used in Canada/US drug tunnel bust (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It came out today that the controversial " Sneak and Peak" clause of the Patriot Act which allowed police to enter the U.S. house on July 2 and later installed cameras and listening devices in the home. All without the knowledge of the owner! Somehow that just seems like a massive abuse of power.

www.cbc.ca
The house at the U.S. end of a 110-metre drug-smuggling tunnel to British Columbia belongs to a Spokane-area couple, the Spokesman-Review newspaper reported Saturday.

Three Canadian men were arrested in connection with the case. The tunnel, reinforced with wooden supports and rebar, stretched from a metal hut in B.C. to a point underneath the living room of a house in Lynden, Wash.

Investigators used a "sneak-peak" warrant available under the U.S.A. Patriot Act to enter the U.S. house July 2 and later installed cameras and listening devices in the home.

Through those devices, authorities said they observed the defendants make multiple trips through the tunnel carrying large hockey bags or garbage bags later determined to contain marijuana.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The fact that that the Patriot Act which was designed to help fight the War on Terror has been used in such a fashion to stop hockey bags full of marijuana across the border is scarey to me. Maybe someone is watching me now as I type this message.... without my knowledge..... hmmmm

Related News Links:
www.theolympian.com

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Investigators used a "sneak-peak" warrant available under the U.S.A. Patriot Act to enter the U.S. house July 2 and later installed cameras and listening devices in the home.

Err, wasnt the Patriot Act specifically applicable to terrorists? Whats the deal?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It is indeed what makes this news piece stunning. The fact that the law can and was shall I say "bent", is a scary sign of things to come on the "Patriot Act"

I mean come on.. this is territory is very well known for it's cash crop export( BC bud) that authorities "knew" what they were going to scoop up in the Patriot Game

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
No? They used a warrant to go in and place cameras. If something is allowing you to fight one type of crime, why not use it to fight another type?

Other than the Patriot Act to begin with, what's the abuse of power?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What about corporate crime? When CEO's start falling to the PA THEN you'll hear some screaming. However I don't think these boys will be targeted.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
In this case the warrant was served in secret and survellience started inside someone's home without their knowledge.... does that seem legal under normal circumstances?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
No? They used a warrant to go in and place cameras. If something is allowing you to fight one type of crime, why not use it to fight another type?

Other than the Patriot Act to begin with, what's the abuse of power?

The Patriot Act specifically targets its sweeping powers towards terrorists. Its not aimed at general criminals at all. The only reason the PA passed was because of the supposed imminent threat posed by terrorists.

The PA cannot, and should not, target all swathes of alleged criminals. After all, they wouldnt need a warrant to sneak and peek if they already had evidence which made them criminals.

If the authourities are allowed this leeway then the Patriot Act 3 will extend all the PA1 and PA2 powers across the criminal spectrum.

new topics

top topics

join