It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Saudi Arabia's King Fahd Buried In Unmarked Grave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The late King Fahd was buried today in an unmarked grave. He was laid to rest at the barren al-Oud cemetery, a dusty plain with sparse vegetation and simple piles of dirt and small stones to designate some graves. The low key cermony is in keeping with Saudi Arabia's austere interpretation of Islam.

news.yahoo.com
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Muslim leaders and Saudi princes bade farewell to King Fahd on Tuesday, saying prayers in a packed Riyadh mosque and then burying him in an unmarked desert grave in keeping with the kingdom's austere version of Islam.

Mourners carried brightly colored umbrellas to ward off the punishing sun at the barren al-Oud cemetery, a desert plain with small patches of brush among simple piles of dirt and small stones to mark the graves. Snipers kept watch from nearby buildings — a reminder of the heavy security that surrounded the funeral.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No mention of Western leaders present at the funeral. Cant say that im surprised given the speed with which muslims bury their dead. The presence of snipers on surrounding buildings testafies to the security concerns present in Saudi Arabia.

King Fahd was a powerful and influential man, not just in Saudi Arabia, but on a World wide stage. His country was, and still is, key to the continued running of the World' economies.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/8/05 by subz]

[edit on 2-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 3-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
May King Fahd rest in peace. No matter what your opinion of the Saudi regime is, they're a lot better than the groups that are threatening their power and trying to take over. They are by no means a great ally, but great allies are hard to find in the Middle East these days. Fortunately I think that they are finally coming to the realization that the terror they export from their schools is coming back to bite them in the ass. There are still some elements of the House of Saud that need to be "exterminated", if you know what I mean.

I'm sure we'd all love to see the royal family go, but at this point "the devil you know is the devil you trust." Of course, we'll never truly know to what extent the Saudis are cooperating in the War on Terror, or "The Struggle Against Extremism" or whatever it's called this week, because they don't want their assistance publicized because it could cause even more resentment amongst its radical population at home. Yes, there's more they can do. Yes, they are by no means angels. But I think when we criticize their government we also need to recognize how fragile their hold on power is and how radical some of their population is. Sure, they played with fire and are now getting burnt. But we need them in control because the alternative is a million times worse. Just this poster's humble opinion.

-Rasputin

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
True Rasputin13 and the very same could of been said about Saddam Hussein. There was no terrorist hotbed in Iraq until we invaded and toppled him.

I have no good will towards King Fahd. I only wrote this story because its interesting how a King of one of the wealthiest countries in the World was buried in an unmarked grave. Also his status as the leader of one of the most influential countries on the globe also warranted an article.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

True Rasputin13 and the very same could of been said about Saddam Hussein. There was no terrorist hotbed in Iraq until we invaded and toppled him.

I wouldn't go THAT far. King Fahd didn't exactly order the assassination of a former US President like Saddam did. Saudi Arabia didn't invade any of its neighbors. It hasn't defied 16+ United Nations resolutions and the will of the Free World. King Fahd's sons don't drive around in their Bentley and pick out women to rape at random. They haven't used weapons of mass destruction, especially not on their own citizens. They don't starve their own people in order to build their military strength and a new palace every year on King Fahd's birthday.

The terrorist hotbed, as you put it, is now in Iraq because American troops are there. Iraq has become the central front in the War on Terror. The terrorists have chosen to make it that way as their homes are in neighboring countries and the border is like swiss cheese. They didn't come there and fight Saddam because he was an ally and supporter of terror. The biggest terrorist in Iraq, al Zarqawi, on the other hand, had a base there before Operation Iraqi Freedom ever began, with the full knowledge of Saddam. There was also another major terrorist whose name I can't remember at the time, who was found in Baghdad (the guy who dumped the poor wheelchair-bound American overboard the Italian cruise ship he hijacked.). But that's all neither here nor there. I don't want to turn this into another Iraqi War thread.

I have no good will towards King Fahd. I only wrote this story because its interesting how a King of one of the wealthiest countries in the World was buried in an unmarked grave. Also his status as the leader of one of the most influential countries on the globe also warranted an article.

And for that, we thank you. Your service to ATS will never be forgotten! If I could issue you a medal, I would.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I wouldn't go THAT far. King Fahd didn't exactly order the assassination of a former US President like Saddam did. Saudi Arabia didn't invade any of its neighbors. It hasn't defied 16+ United Nations resolutions and the will of the Free World. King Fahd's sons don't drive around in their Bentley and pick out women to rape at random. They haven't used weapons of mass destruction, especially not on their own citizens. They don't starve their own people in order to build their military strength and a new palace every year on King Fahd's birthday.

The terrorist hotbed, as you put it, is now in Iraq because American troops are there. Iraq has become the central front in the War on Terror. The terrorists have chosen to make it that way as their homes are in neighboring countries and the border is like swiss cheese. They didn't come there and fight Saddam because he was an ally and supporter of terror. The biggest terrorist in Iraq, al Zarqawi, on the other hand, had a base there before Operation Iraqi Freedom ever began, with the full knowledge of Saddam. There was also another major terrorist whose name I can't remember at the time, who was found in Baghdad (the guy who dumped the poor wheelchair-bound American overboard the Italian cruise ship he hijacked.). But that's all neither here nor there. I don't want to turn this into another Iraqi War thread.

And that contradicts what I wrote how exactly?

I know I didnt have Islamic militants planting bombs in my capital city before Iraq was invaded. Save you speech.

Originally posted by Rasputin13
And for that, we thank you. Your service to ATS will never be forgotten! If I could issue you a medal, I would.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

And that contradicts what I wrote how exactly?

It completely contradicts your incorrect statement that the current government of Saudi Arabia is the same as the pre-invasion Saddam government. Read it again. Read it a few times if you have to. Then try and tell me again how the Saudi Monarchy, an ally, is the same as Saddam's dictatorial regime in regards to our diplomatic relations with them.

new topics

top topics

join