It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK aircraft carrier HMS Invincible decommissioned; to be bought by India (?)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You expect India to get its hand on a top of the line aircraft carrier like a Nimiz class? I mean seriously, India does not have the technology, resources, nor the manpower needed that can build its own version of aircraft carrier. It would take many many years. If India was to take an old aicraft carrier about 30 years old, at least it would be a start.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Even the UK shipbuilding industry is undergoing a major overhaul so we can build the Queen Elizabeth class carriers. Thats why the hulls haven't been laid down yet, despite the project having a design (or three) ready.

India lacks the money and technological know how to construct her own, at this time. As deltaboy said, it's better to have an old one and practice with it, to see how they work first, rather than spending billions on something you don't have the first clue about building.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

The Economy is measured in GDP. As such, Indian's GDP is around the 900 billion dollar mark, with the UK at around 2.9 Trillion.

PPP would have no bearing on anything where foreign trade is concerned, as the value of the Indian currency versus that of, say, the UK, is very low.

Sorry to bruise your ego.

Ok. OK!! Peace!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
ok..

I'm not going to intervene in the PPP/GDP discussions right now because they're irrelevant to the topic at hand and nonsensical actually..

As for India those who think that India does not have the tech, manpower, resources, know-how etc to build a carrier on its own, here's a few pointers:

1. India has been operating carriers for almost half a century.
  2. India IS building its own carrier and that is due in 2010-15 timeframe

A few more 'facts':

It is envisaged that for a short period (somewhere between 2010 and 2015) India will operate 3 carriers at one time
This will make it the 2nd largest carrier force on the planet after the USN.The UK and France currently operate 2 and 1 respectively.
The Indian number will reduce to 2 carriers by 2015.
I believe there are plans to increase the number back to 3 in the future.

The carrier currently bing constructed in India is of the 40000 ton class.
The carriers being built by the British are in the 60000 ton class IIRC.
The new CVN-X USN carriers will be +100000 tons I believe.

I hope that satisfies the 'questions' posters here have about India's carrier experince and indigenous carrier building capabilities.

If any of you still require linkies to reaffirm what I've said above, I'd be happy to oblige, but I think a bit googling should do the trick.

Thanks,

DD3

[edit on 18-7-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
My neighbour was a serviceman on Invincible.

I wonder where this puts us though, aircraft carriers are a pivotal part of our military, hopefully the new ones arrive quickly.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
One question: Where are they going to paint the dot?????

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedman One question: Where are they going to paint the dot?????

OKay Thedman, I'll bite. What dot?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It is in reference to the "dot" or bindi that many Indians paint on their
foreheads.

PS: "dot head" is a slur used here in America referring to Indians...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedman
It is in reference to the "dot" or bindi that many Indians paint on their
foreheads.

PS: "dot head" is a slur used here in America referring to Indians...

Its hindu, son.

PS: Here in america, we use the term Cracker or hick when reffering to whites or Nigger on a person of african ancestry

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Thedman and Peanutbutter - you shock me.

Even if you posted your remarks in fun, I think you have crossed the line!

Although I am a single, middle aged, white, ENGLISHMAN living in Great Britain or the United Kingdom, I especially dislike the 'N' word.

What kind of example are you setting to other posters.

Very bad.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   

what a load of laughs..
I never knew that term..
you learn somthing new everyday..

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join