It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma=Lightsabers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If only this could really happen. I'd be first in line to buy my new Red Double-Bladed Saber. The only way I see this hapopening is with plasma, or a high powered laser, which I see highly improbable.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Shadow88- Interesting idea! Using a beam, within a beam might work, but it would require a lot of energy to create.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oh thanks! and ovbiously a lot of power. It may not work, it was simply a burst of inspiration really....maybe something will come of it.....

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
to put you all straight plasm lightsabres are avaliable everywhere just type plame sabre in and you can buy one that day it doesnt do nothing except do what a light does but in a different way. I lightsaber is really a lasersaber with the laser cutting off at about a metre thats wot they are trying to do

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It does my head in when people who know hardly anything about something, say something as though theyre experts. No theyre not easy to find whatever and no you cant just "cut off" a laser cutter at a point. Its a beam of light, so it travels forvever until it bounces into something.....

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Seems that the easiest way to make a light saber would be to use something similar to an ASP baton (i.e. an extendable/retractable metal baton), that then somehow ionized the air around the baton (not the handle) to the point of it becoming plasma, and then you'd have a lightsaber in appearance and function.... Of course, I doubt we have the full tech for something like this yet, in that small of a package....

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Just go to masterreplicas.com... and get the Force FX lightsabers. Closest thing you will ever have in your lifetime to a real lightsaber.

Those lightsabers are cool. I can't wait 'til I hear about some PCP addict whipping one of those replica lightsabers out after being pulled over by the cops and then, thinking the cops are really Darth Maul and Darth Sidious, starts waiving it around like the master Jedi he thinks he is. All this before getting blown in to next week.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a lightsaber!!!!,yes!!!!, a hard steel rod covered with fluorecence material!!!!, a sethi breakehead!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Unstable? Tell that to the people who make plasma televisions and fluorescent lights.

I do seem to notice that the plasma in plasma televisions and fluorescent lights is contained by material like the glass tube around fluorescent lights.
Besides, only a small fraction of the gas in plasma televisions and fluorescent lights enters the plasma state. The rest remains neutral. I keep saying, free floating plasma is inherently unstable.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I always wondered if these fabled lightsabers had any weight outside of their handles.
We've read all about the exploits of jedi wielding lightsabers, but we've read almost nothing of the balance characteristics of the light sabers we've read so much about.

Just how does a 4 foot stationary laser beam feel in the hand? Without some weight in the blade, I'd imagine if feels like fighting with a handful of napkins. I would need something much heavier to swing into enmies.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
u mean there wont be enough momentum? also if u made it as a toy god you'd have to keep it low power so it didnt actually slice you in two, unless that was the desired outcome of course

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Not at all. Does the blade on a lightsaber way anything? Like, how does anyone wield a weighless axe? You wouldn't even get any excercise and big strong back muscles from swinging it around. A sword with a weightless blade? That's what the jedi and sith look like they're doing. Swinging around a bat made of air.

I do not know what "toy god" means.

I might like to slice myself in half. That would be comical, no doubt. "oops I swung the saber into my body!". LOL, I can see it now. It's just a flesh wound. Ha ha ha.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Why not just make a nano filament whip with a wieght on the end, that will surely cut your enemy down to bloody sushi.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldEagle

Actually if you've heard about it there working on liquid armor that can stop bullets and normal blades so the light saber would be extremely useful in that situation

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I was just looking online about lightsabers and how they could work. I did see this special on the History Channel called "Star Wars Tech," that talks about how Star Wars technology may or may not work in real life. Turns out, a lightsaber isn't a laser. For one, light beams don't just decide to stop in their tracks after a few feet. Plus, if Obi-Wan and Darth Vader had a duel with a couple of laser lightsabers, it wouldn't exactly light up the box office, because the lasers would just pass right through each other. However, lightsabers may be something called a plasma tube, which is, obviously, a tube of superheated plasma. Now, I didn't really catch all the physics and stuff, so please add something if I'm a little sketchy. How plasma tubes could work is that the lightsabers wouldn't pass through each other because their magnetic fields repel each other. And with a temperature of roughly 2 million degrees, they probably could cut through most material. That would be a very hot and painful way to get killed. Unfortunatley, with our modern technology, it takes a building full of equipment to generate a plasma tube, and lightsabers are about the size of a household flashlight. But, with technology getting smaller and smaller over time, sometime in the future we may just be able to build something quite like a lightsaber. As for re-enacting a lightsaber battle with a couple of plasma lightsabers, however...... PLEASE!! DON'T TRY IT AT HOME! IF YOU DO YOU MUST BE A COMPLETE AND TOTAL MORON!!!!! That is all.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by GoldEagle

Actually if you've heard about it there working on liquid armor that can stop bullets and normal blades so the light saber would be extremely useful in that situation

so would the high powered ion cannon you could make with the same technology that wouldn't require you to be within 3 feet of your enemy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join