It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Big Brother Could Soon Be Watching You

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If it's for returns, you are required to give name and address info. If you buy it with a credit card, it's a simple correlation-your transaction and all it's warehoused data, and the item with a given ID code leaving inventory. For returns and such, simply bringing it back "conveniently" credits the inventory back to your card.

RFID chips are being read by hobbyists from distances well over two meters with rather covert systems. some claim even more distance-and it's read *without you knowing or having any say in the matter*.

64 bits is a *lot* of memory, waay more than needed for "inventory".

Originally posted by subz
I find this particular ATSNN article alarmist.

Firstly,how does the RFID information embedded in retail clothing specifically relate to who wears it? It would be anonymous information.

Secondly, how hard would it be to simply remove the RFID technology from the garments?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

Orwell had it wrong-it's not the government who will control minds thru the media and business. It's big corporations and their media arm who manipulat minds and then control government.

You know, I never really thought about it like that, but now that I am thinking about it, You're absolutely right.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Here is another instance of RFID technology intruding into our personal worlds:

WIRELESS WORLD: CHIPS TRACK LICENSE PLATES, August 12
A controversial plan to embed radio frequency identification
chips in license plates in the United Kingdom also may be coming
to the United States, experts told UPI's Wireless World.
Full story at www.physorg.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The smaller the chip gets does not mean the harder they are to read, especially considering the advances of the technology we have today.
We have artificial intelligence and nanotechnology.

Just as an example, ever hear or read about "smart dust"?
A quote, "This device will be around the size of a grain of sand and will contain sensors, computational ability, bi-directional wireless communications, and a power supply, while being inexpensive enough to deploy by the hundreds."

www-bsac.eecs.berkeley.edu...

www.spychips.com...

"The tags have a feature that enables the retailer to disable the chip once a product has been purchased. This destroy command deactivates the chip and erases data stored on it thereby granting the privacy of the buyer.
The "self-destruct" command can be used at the discretion of the retailer and depends on the set-up of the project. Benetton has not said whether it will disable the tags at the point of sale."

Only one retailer mentioned in the above quote, but who's to say what the "set-up of the project" actually is or could be? Some people might say that well in order for clothing industry to accomodate the latest trends or bring to us what we really like, they need to know certain aspects about their consumers. Much like a survey or opinion polls, this at a higher level.

Now please don't think I'm againest the RFID idea of being able to track the store merchandise at warehouses, in transit, and in the store itself. I'm just not into the idea of them being sewn into the clothing, there is abosolutely NO REASON for it. Survey/poll/project or not. Not at my expense. They could place the RFID tags on the price tag or the garment brand label next to the price.(much like some stores already do)

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Here is another instance of RFID technology intruding into our personal worlds:

We all know about the "black boxes" or EDRs. GM has been puting in their cars for years...another type of tracking device, plus tells all the vehicle stats...ie: acceleration, braking, speed car was going at time of an accident...etc. I can see how it can be very useful (as with the case in point in the below link) but it could also be mis-used. Normally they only record the last few seconds before an accident, but can be progammed to go back months.

They are also used to trigger the air bag. Seems the older the car, the more apt to have them malfuction. Some of the newest ones actually send the data to 911 in case of a crash.

www.jesus-is-savior.com... I love the music on this site. Sounds like Depeche Mode. Lot of other cool links on here, too.

Finding the black box in your car.
www.seniormag.com...

Heck the new cell pones have tracking devices in them too.

SwearBear...LOL…Funny...

[edit on 14-8-2005 by maybeangels]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join