It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Big Brother Could Soon Be Watching You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
RFID technology is becoming more and more pervasive in america--Recently it has started to be used in clothing. Electronic anti-theft devices have been installed in vehicles
cars for years -- such as the LoJack, which gained fame during countless TV commercials. Soon, similar technology will be used in the clothes you and your children wear. The first applications of RFID tags in clothing will be for childrens clothing so parents can rest easier at night, but retailers are also starting to use it in high dollar designer clothing so they can better track returns & refunds. Some retailers also want to track it even after its sold. Just how far are they willing to go and what other groups have plans along those same lines?

www.physorg.com
A fashion designer in California is debuting sleepwear for small children that contains RFID -- Radio Frequency Identification -- tags, providing some peace of mind to parents, who might fear that their young ones may be abducted while they sleep.

Other clothing makers, including major brand names in the business, are eyeing RFID tags, too, and are expected to hide them unobtrusively in labels on their designer items, hoping to prevent counterfeiting of their expensive creations, experts told UPI's Wireless World.

"We've been contacted about this by retailers," said Tawnya Clark, vice president of sales and marketing at RSI ID Technologies in Chula Vista, Calif., a maker of RFID products. "They want to use RFID not only to track the clothes in the warehouse and during shipping. They want to track the clothes when they are bought by customers."

At Texas A&M University in College Station, administrators are sewing RFID tags into the clothes of the members of the Corps of Cadets there. The school's RFID2 Lab worked with the administrator of the military-style program and is incorporating passive HF 13.56 Megahertz read-write tags into the uniforms of 1,700 students.

Tagsys, in Doylestown, Pa., made the devices, which are 22 millimeters wide, pack 64 bits of memory and a 230 millimeter read range. An MR-100 13.56 MHz reader is being used to read the tags and track the inventory. If a student walks off campus at the end of the year without returning the uniform, his or her identity can be easily determined by checking with the inventory database.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It isn't much of a stretch of the imagination to see where all this could lead and lead there very quickly. The potential for misuse of this technology is very high and could quickly lead to a modern day version of George Orwell's "1984."

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I find this particular ATSNN article alarmist.

Firstly,how does the RFID information embedded in retail clothing specifically relate to who wears it? It would be anonymous information.

Secondly, how hard would it be to simply remove the RFID technology from the garments?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It is alarmist Subz - it alarms me. Right now RFID tags are relatively large and easy to spot and remove, but they certainly don't have to be. They could easily be made much smaller, integrated into clothing, or whatever, and undergo substantial range increases. Further, there is nothing inherent in the technology that would prevent it from carrying additional information or prevent that information from being loaded remotely.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I read a few articles a while ago that said Gillette was using RFID chips on thier shipments.

So the tech is there to do this... Also think about after 9/11 when those people got planted on the today show. Even better yet they have adds all over the radio saying plant ur pet do you know where it is at all times.

I can see this RFID thing going from that same animal ad to "Chip your kids so they dont get taken by the bad man" or something of that sort.

::EDIT::
some articles about Gillette and RFID
www.boycottgillette.com...
www.techworld.com...

[edit on 8/1/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Its my understanding that children are already chipped by their parents in the United States.

Also Astronomer68(70), I fully understand that. But I was specifically talking about this article. The article relates to RFID being incorporated into retail clothing. That in, and of, itself does not constitute 'big brother watching you'. Believe me im not for selling my privacy for some semblance of personal saftey, you know that

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Not my kids, I will be damned if I let my kids get chipped...

They will have to kill me 1st before that ever happens..

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I realize that Subz, this article was just the latest in a series of RFID related articles that caught my attention and made me realize just how fast this technology is spreading and where it could go.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't think this is a great revelation. Before RFID there was the Social Security Number, the ever present CCTV cameras, debit and credit cards, and GPS phones and RFID has gotten plenty of bandwidth here at ATS.

Google Search

[edit on 2005/8/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
RFIDs along the same lines as the UKs and the EU anti-privacy proposal(s) for citizen monitoring, etc?
London's Push For Surveillance Plan.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
"I've been Rfeed! Crap!" when you do not realize that the clothes you are wearing have RFID until it is too late as the police is closing around you.

"Don't worry, I'm Rfeed!" a child say to a concerned parent or a police officer if the child is lost.

"To Rfeed or not to Rfeed? That is the question." Making a difficult decision to choose.

"Have you been Rfeed?" or "Are you Rfeed?" Question asked if you have a RFID tag somewhere on you.

"My name is Rfeed, please to meet you." Legal name change.

"Oop, I Rfeed it again!" Britney Spears' new song.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Paranoia strikes deep
into your lives it will creep
it starts when your'e always afraid
step outa line the man come and take you away

"For what its worth" Jesse Springfield

Ithink that lyric was written in the 60s. Works well now!!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well just because you're paranoid is no sign someone isn't out to get you.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"For what its worth"

Yeah, great song. Group was actually Buffalo Springfield. Written by Stephen Stills. (1967) Way before their time for sure.

Bit of history on the song: Started out about the young soldiers thrown into the front lines during the Vietnam War. Stephen Stills saw how the Los Angeles Police overreacted to a protest on Sunset Strip, so he changed the song's message. It became about the unrest among the youth who had been subjected to police harrassment in the name of law and order.

A bit before "Four Dead in Ohio" Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young...Neil Young wrote this one tho. (1970)

Sorry for getting off topic, but back on topic here, some retailers like Walmart are already doing this. I hear you can remove them if you can find them. they are quite small & imbeded in the seems of the clothing.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by maybeangels]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
For those Zionist bashers and NWO conspiracy Monkeys, I recently had a job interview at RFID in Las Vegas. The company is Israeli, with American tech support, and application development.

More proof the Zionist NWO is out to control us?

I get such a kick out of the NEO-Facists, they are so hokey, and backwards.

Seriously, The interview was a little amusing in hindsight if I did believe that the conspiracy was real.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Maybeangles,

I stand corrected. Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
whaaa

Hey, no problem, Hon. I grew up with that music. That was during the time my brother and all his friends were getting drafted, I was the 5 year old brat protestor you see in all those old videos...Just kidding.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by maybeangels]

elp

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It isn't much of a stretch of the imagination to see where all this could lead and lead there very quickly.

My imagination must be terrible. Please could someone explain why this is really a bad thing?

The smaller RFID tags become the harder it gets to boost their range. Even getting them to be reliable a foot away is a challenge as far as I know. I can see the advantages for stock control but for some strange orwellian tracking system????

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
``

i think one has to go to the linked source & read the full article.
www.physorg.com...

... in part;

...The clothing, including nightgowns, [will be sold at Target stores],
and will include RFID technologies
that parents can place in doorways and windows
which will trigger an alarm if children wearing the tagged clothes
travel more than 30 feet.

this explaination does not sound so onerous, or much a sneaky tracking device
...as i was kinda led to believe.

It sounds like 'parents' can elect to buy & install these RFID sensors
for their childrens' bedroom doors & windows...
(probably having the RFID sensors installed by proprietary & certified Target inc. installers)
That makes this RFID application, more of a home/family security item...
an optional and probably expensive home security device.
Most likely to be used along with existing home intruder alarm systems.

however, as my brain races thru all the senarios, i can see that none of the
security systems prevented the Jon Bonet Ramsey tragedy...
and even this RFID concept would have been circumvented,
because the 30 foot distance for the alarm to engage was ?less?
than the distance from her bedroom door to the basement,
(an est. 20 foot away)

~~
but the actual reason for the RFID was for the inventory tracking &
facimile rip-offs, store commerce-security, all commercial applications....
the sleepwear & safety aspect is just a 'piggy-back' application,
which will be given a minimum of advertising or promotion- - -
unless the idea takes off...then the creator and Target will ramp-up
and really push/expand the product ....
capitalism at work..(Hoo yah)

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
RFID tags will soon be the only way to preserve your identity from theft...
has anyone wondered why it is so easy to get info to steal an identity, and nothing legal has been done to change that...

They could prevent the SS# from being used by any other than government agency, but do they? NO!
They can say "well, just get a RFID tag, and you wont have to worry about identity theft again (except if someone cuts yours out and puts it in them).

SO...
add the fact that WI-Fi systems can be used to track RFID tags, and the fact that many cities are sponsoring citywide WI-FI networks...
very soon, stake out survelliance will be an office job.
Thanks to the tag, they wil know where you go, how you spend your money (every cent) , and everything they need to track and develop a psychological profile. Without ever having an agent look you in the face...

that is what is scary... and progressively happening as we speak...

another factor: if you think advertising calls and mail are bothersome now, think about when you get 5 new ones for everything you ever buy...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
what's depressing and sad is, that when government trots out an idea like this, there's universal condemnation. Even when government has a t least, some accountability to the people. Massive databases of everything you buy, sell, own, read, listen to, etc-owned by data mining firms with no constitutional oversight. Often successfully targeted by criminals and used against people by the thousands. Such a database would never be allowed in government hands. Why does giving it to cartels and coprorations make it perfectly acceptable?

When private profit centers, mega corporations, advertisers or the Media suggest such a thing, it's pretty much accepted-organizations that exist only to exploit you (the term "consumer" is used, not "people" or anything similar) for as much profit as possible. The public has not even a theoretical voice in these business decisions, only able to do something after the fact of such products being released.

And there still is much less controversy over such wide spread abuses of privacy by the same corporations who have no problems bribing government, polluting the environment, and modifying international politics for a few points in the stock market.

Orwell had it wrong-it's not the government who will control minds thru the media and business. It's big corporations and their media arm who manipulat minds and then control government.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join