It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nootka Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I ran across this little piece of folklore, I guess you would call it.

What is interesting is the general time of the tale, the wording, and especially the outcome.

collections.ic.gc.ca...

John Meares (1756-1809) was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy who resigned in 1771. He served as captain of three voyages from China to Nootka Sound. He was a fine observer of the Nootka Indians of the late 18th century and is today remembered as the author of the travel account, Voyages Made in the Years 1778 and 1789, from China to the North West Coast of America, (London 1790) in which he recounts a number of Nootka traditions.

One such story is of an "extraordinary stranger from the sky." Meares asked the Indians how they had learned about copper and why it was so admired among them. They explained that their ancestors had met a strange man in a 'copper canoe' and everything in this man's possesion was made of metal. The stranger told them that he had come from the sky, and he warned them that one day their nation would be destroyed, and that they would all be killed. The Nootkans killed him, stole his 'copper canoe.' and from that time they began to use the metal.

Not only did it come from the sky, in a craft made of metal, but they also killed it !

Of course these stories could be blown out of the water, but I just look at it as a reference that a story like this was told this long ago.

Related links:

www.ufobc.ca...
www.virtuallystrange.net...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Thats a very interesting piece of folklore there.
I never would have imagined indians to be so violent though.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I never would have imagined indians to be so violent though.

"The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways - through force!!!"

Seriously though, it's very easy to view Native American cultures through an idyllic lens. They had the same problems and could be just as violent as the rest of us.

This story seems quite similar to other tales I have heard of strange people coming from the sky to deliver prophetic messages. It is easy to consider this an alien encounter, but we must also entertain the notion that it is metaphoric or representative in some other way. In Finland there are tales of the northern lights abducting people into the sky. Are we to presume this represents alien abductions?

Cool find though, Dulcimer. Nice work.

[edit on 2/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
interesting info, though is there any remains of this copper craft ever found?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball
interesting info, though is there any remains of this copper craft ever found?

That was something I was thinking, but what they mean by copper canoe is debatable.

If anything, I believe the metal would have been harvested for use by the indians.

Not many sources carry this story unfortunately.

join