It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Sahara?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The great desert has leaped over the Med. Is climate change to blameā€”or man and his works?

Aug. 8, 2005 issue - It looked and felt like hell. Swirling winds whipped flames along a 17-kilometer front of pine-forest scrub parched by the fiercest drought on the Iberian Peninsula in 60 years. A dozen firefighters, dwarfed by the massive blaze, fought the flames amid smoke, heat and the blackening countryside of Guadalajara, Spain. Before they could turn to flee, the fire swept over them. Eleven men and women died; the twelfth barely survived.

Full Story: www.msnbc.msn.com...

it looks like bye bye Europe and hello Europe Sahara. no doubt people in Europe would be lookin like those people Niger or Sudan or something. but this is really bad.

[edit on 8-21-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
awful stuff. but what`s the betting all that happens here in Scotland is that the rain gets warmer.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
the Earth is becoming a desert at an alarming rate. Remember it wasn't that long ago that Egypt and the Middle East were once considered to be an OASIS. Times are changing. Too much solar radation is too blame. We are just going through a cycle. Eventually a Super Volcano like the one at Yellowstone or Sumatra will explode and the sun will be blocked out returning us to an Ice Age... the snow will reflect back the suns radiation, and we will slowly return back to what we consider normallicy.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Doesn't the ecosystem have a sort of self-righting system? That when it becomes too warm, a new ice age begins, then after a few hundred or thousand years the earth is back to normal. YES, I read these articles before the movie "The Day After Tomorrow."

I pretty much reckon it must have, because under the many millions of years (remember I'm talking about millions of years, a lot can happen in that timespan) that life has existed on the earth, there must have been some years when the volcanic activity on the earth must have been larger than normal, possibly creating the same effect that the human industrialization has, eventually causing global warming.
But we're still here, so I honestly doubt the earth will turn into a desert or one big ocean, or something like that.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think that all deserts are getting bigger, not just the Sahara, and I think there are no cases of deserts changing into something else, allways something else turning into deserts.

Here in Portugal the studies show that the problem is that we have less rain than before but the real problem is that the rain falls in shorter groups of days but the rain drops are bigger and do much more damage to the soil than the normal rain drops of some decades ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
i dont know what book i saw it in, but the south of the sahrah is actually getting more grass on it.
also i think when egypt and such are refered to as an oasis it is because the rivers that run through them create a small amount of green, the majority is still desert, just the inhabited bits look like an oasis to the travelers, not the whole current countrie

top topics

join