It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to rename this forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is for the mods. I believe that we should change this forum from the War on Terror to the "War against violent global extremism" as is now the official slogan for this military campaign for world domination. I know it doesn't have the same catchy ring to it but its the new jargon from the White House.

csmonitor.com...

I don't know if you noticed, but the "War On Terror" is over. That ubiquitous catchall phrase that the administration so liberally used to help draw support for the War In Iraq has been deemed unfit for public consumption. From now on, it is "The Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism."
www.cbsnews.com...

Obviously I am writing this thread in jest but food for thought regardless.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Well, the BBC certainly agrees with you, seeing that they refuse to call a spade a spade. Instead of using the term terrorist, they prefer the less offensive moniker of "bombers".

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Pity they can't say 'suspected bombers'. . . . . perhaps the extra word stretches their resources too much.

In my opinion the picture of a middle Eastern guy on the front of this forum should be accompanied by a picture of a Western politician in a suit. That way we would have the suspects covered visually, so to speak.

And the forum should be called 'The War for Terror'.. . . . because that's what it is without Orwellian doublespeak.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The Daily Mail dropped the 'alleged' or 'suspected' bomber phrase altogether and just calls all suspects bombers or terrorists. Apparantly all you need to convince people nowadays is a grainy CCTV image of what may or may not be middle eastern men and some wacky cover story.

When we suspect a murderer (even if he/she has committed the crime) we still have to say suspected until they are tried right?

When did the rules change?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roy Robinson Stewart

In my opinion the picture of a middle Eastern guy on the front of this forum should be accompanied by a picture of a Western politician in a suit. That way we would have the suspects covered visually, so to speak.

FYI, that's a picture of Richard Reid, aka The Shoe Bomber. He is a British citizen.

en.wikipedia.org...(terrorist)

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roy Robinson Stewart
Pity they can't say 'suspected bombers'. . . . . perhaps the extra word stretches their resources too much.

how many times do we have to go through this

It's called inpartial reporting, something the BBC is famous for and is the reason why the majority of the world turns to the BBC during crisis. But of course you would never see that on your fav fox news, they dont have the time for that kind of thing. They just spend all their time spewing hatred against liberals, civil rights organistations, The UN, blacks, Mid easterners and of course their favourite target....The BBC. Surprised they have any time for news at all? from what I've seen of it it's 50% commericals, 49% hatred, 0.8% headlines and 0.2% actual news

Just to clearify things for you:

bomb·er Audio pronunciation of "bomber" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bmr)
n.

1. A combat aircraft designed to carry and drop bombs.
. One who makes and sets off bombs.

seems like a pretty good definition of those people doesn't it

[edit on 2-8-2005 by arnold_vosloo]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
There were certainly some bombers, so you'd never say "suspected" when speaking generally. In the U.S. for legal reasons, you usually would say "suspected" when speaking of a specific person until they are convicted in a trial.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Djohn,

That was my point - this was when they had apprehended the four suspects of the dud bombs - the papers were refering to them by name as bombers, even though they haven't been tried yet.

See link in Guardian about media fears regarding naming suspects

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

FYI, that's a picture of Richard Reid, aka The Shoe Bomber. He is a British citizen.

Put Blair up there instead then.

He is a bomber and a British citizen, but put him up there he has more kills to his name and wears more makeup.

new topics

top topics

join