It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destroy All Humans!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ok, the initial reaction is going to be to chuck this into BTS games, but if you haven't seen or played this game yet, and you're into the subject matter of UFOs and aliens, you just don't know what you're missing...

The initial movie is actually an interesting idea... A classified missile test, UFO comes down, interferes with the test, missile goes boom! and the saucer crashes, hehe...(I believe it was in "Rockwell", hehe...)

You start off invading a farm, messing with cows, then the populace.... Then you can take off in the saucer, go on a rampage, etc.

An interesting part of this is depending on your success or failure, a story will appear in the paper. If you die, something like "fish boy found in lake" appears, etc. It's an interesting take on how the press could be manipulated.

Majestic is featured in the game also.

Even though tongue in cheek, the amount of actual folklore used as a basis is amazing, hehe...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I got that game! I havn't played it for a while actually, cheers for reminding me!
I love it, it is funny and I do like the little twists.
Have you used the anal probe yet, that is funny!?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Good game.

It's the subliminal things like that that make a game very good. The "arcane" references that very few understand, but are very well done.

It is a pity, however, that gaming is a relatively terrible medium to pass along information. I don't think it'll help anyone learn about UFO's, or foster a curiousness in them.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i just finished beating the game yesterday. i just wish there was more that you could in the game. its fun but it loses it fun factor after a while

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by enrage
i just finished beating the game yesterday. i just wish there was more that you could in the game. its fun but it loses it fun factor after a while

I felt the same way after playing it for a few days as a rental...

But concept behind it is awesome - I love the subtle humor.....When you got to control the mayor and spread disinfo, I thought that was just too cool man

I got stuck on the part where you had to go and reorient all the damn TV antennas...baaaah

I think if they made it a little more non-linear and varied the game play up a bit, it would be a sweeeet game - In this era of sequels of sequels to sequels, I'm sure we'll get our chance

I was a bit thrown off by the Jack Nicholson alien voice/attitude though…..

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
It is a pity, however, that gaming is a relatively terrible medium to pass along information. I don't think it'll help anyone learn about UFO's, or foster a curiousness in them.

Well, the way people go on about some games (*cough*GTA*cough*), you'd think that kids learned from nothing else. I personally think that it might actually open up a handful of eyes at least. Not necessarily get a new wave of UFOlogists, but make some of those playing it open their eyes just enough to look around a little more. Also, those who had a quasi-latent interest in UFOs and picked the game up might have their curiousity piqued a little more.

As you suggested Amory, it's the subliminal qualities that not only make it interesting, but also pertain to the point I'm trying to make. I haven't played the game yet (God though I want to), so I can't use any direct examples. But the next time they hear someone in power claiming that aliens don't exist (a la the mayor from Enron's post, if I'm interpreting correctly), they may sit there and think "Hmmm....what if...?" because they played the game. Even without directly associating the idea with the game, just that it's now a bit more experience they have.

Hope this made sense in some way or other...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The bit about the mayor is..

The mayor is threatening to tell the truth to everyone, so your mission is to holoblob him (impersonate him) and then reassure the people. This is of course, right after you basically laid waste to the county fair and abducted the Ms. Rockwell pageant winner....

It's these kinds of things that really make it appeal to the UFO/Alien crowd... As I said, it's completely tongue and cheek, and extremely reminiscient of Burton's "Mars Attacks" (even with the disintegrator ray...way fun
), but it certainly does show how easy it is sometimes to explain away pretty inexplicable things.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I guess add this to the pile of things that are raising UFO awareness lately - I saw an advert on TV for it and it looked quite funny. Is it making an appearance on the PC?

In a not related incident, Mars Attacks was on TV last night, and although it sucks it had some funny moments in it too like when someone says in a serious voice "We can't have aliens running all over Nevada".

Edit : Either it sorted itself out, or a mod sorted out my newbness with the background image - cheers whoever that was!

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Nova]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Very good game, but the anal probe was a bit hilarious to watch people run from it holding their a**.

Once you can upgrade the saucer, you can do plenty of damage. The Majestic were a riot....good game, hope for a better sequel...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer in using cheat codes to learn a game, hehe....

I'm old school, and am used to using a button and a joystick, not 14 buttons and two joysticks, hehe....

So I upgraded everything I could, gratis, hehe....and unlimited ammo is really fun....

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerunI was a bit thrown off by the Jack Nicholson alien voice/attitude though…..

Hmmmmm.....sounds like they based that off of the alien character called Blaznee in Spaced Invaders who had a Jack Nicholson voice.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i saw that game brand new for £20 but i got AREA 51 instead

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I get most of my games at pawn shops...for $10 each.

Why pay $50 for one game when I can get 5??? $50 for a game? Now THAT'S a conspiracy!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Right there with ya, Gaz. Games and CDs, second hand. Much cheaper. For 30 USD I can get an N64 and tons of games. Makes it all that much more fun to play.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Havent played the game but I really do dig the sound tracks from the game. JunkieXL remixed oldies.

Teehee.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
After getting the game i immediatly ran up to my room to play it after the first mission i knew this would take up alot of my time.
I would have liked if the game was abit bigger but i really liked the way that, in the drive thru cinema, 'Plan 9 from Outer Space" was playing, which was a very early 1950s film that was so tacky it had zombies and UFOs in it, anyway back to the point.
After i got the anal probe i never knew how it worked but then i found out that you have to charge it.
If you have an XBOX or PS2 and you like UFOs you should get this game i never seen anything wrong with it, there was only the length of the game that sort of dissapointed me but you can't have
a really long game that you would have gotten pissed off with in about an hour when you don't really know wots happening.
All in All 9/10
!!Ace game!!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Its one of the top five games of the year. It is so fun.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I got stuck on the part where you had to go and reorient all the damn TV antennas...baaaah

Yeah, that part's a bitch...hehe....

Half the time, I just ended up saving in another slot, hopping in the saucer, and taking out my frustrations on the town with the death ray....

new topics

top topics

join