It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email or Marijuana - which is worse??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Email and other electronic communications temporarily lower your IQ significantly more than smoking pot does according to a recent study at London's Institute of Psychiatry, reports Red Herring Magazine.

full report www.redherring.com...

hmmmm.... i know a few ppl who wont get off their comp and are addicted to the net and then say that the pot heads are dumb

sorry if this has been brought up b4

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
well taking that ppl do not email while driving (yet), so there is no car accident rate related to e-mailing... i would say marijuana is worse...

but still it is somthing that helps many people with terminal and painfull deseases...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
fascinating isn't it. I never heard this one before, but why on earth did this study choose to compare marijuana to emails and instant messages???

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
fascinating isn't it. I never heard this one before, but why on earth did this study choose to compare marijuana to emails and instant messages???

ROFL....
... there is absolutly no point on it ....at least i cant see it ...

its like making a study on "What causes baldness?"

a) Stress
b) Socks

who thinks up these "studies" ????

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Baa-imo, it is another stab at demonizing pot. I know and agree it can provide relief for many illness's. As far as pain medication-some is too strong and some people with certain desieases are not given pain medication.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
maybe they were all addicts and need to get some attention off of them.... but ive seen ppl txt msging and driving and ive seen computers in cars that have wireless network...
www.ebaumsworld.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
and even if it isn't emails, people do use cell phones in the car, which is a major distraction.

the whole comparison thing still doesn't make sense though, they should have did a study comparing the effects of marijuana and alcohol on the IQ.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Study: Drivers on cell phone four times more likely to crash.

"You'd think using a hands-free phone would be less distracting, so it wouldn't increase crash risk as much as using a handheld phone. But we found that either phone type increased the risk," said Anne McCartt, one of the study's authors and the institute's vice president for research.

The study found that handheld devices were very slightly riskier than hands-free ones, but the difference was not statistically significant.

The study, published in the British Medical Journal, found no difference in the risk posed to male and female drivers or to drivers older and younger than 30.

More motorists are using cell phones on the road than ever, and lawmakers are grappling for ways to reducing driver distraction.

Article

People driving while 'texting' in Australia is a big problem...but they don't care because "it" will never happen to them.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
First off, a 10 point dip is different than a 4 point drop. Marijuana has long-lasting, detrimental effects, checking your email does not.

Second, we've all heard rants abotu how IQ tests are a poor way of testing intelligence.

Third, let's not ignore the fact that checking email, and the various other methods of communication and technology are not only essential to modern business, but provide in themselves an enormous boost in productivity.

Four, there's something to be said about being stuck in an office cubicle being so bored that you check your email every half-hour. You've probably got a caffeine dependance as well. Between the caffeine (an abused drug) crashes, the non-stiumlating, repetative, cookie-cutter work environment, and the lack of supervision by the higher echelon, I'd half expect the office workers to be asleep to begin with. If there's anything that's causing a dip in their IQ, it's that. There's a lot to be said for enjoying your job/life, being outside, and having more personal freedom.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
That makes sense if you look at it the right way.

top topics

join