It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy bans Islamic burqas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It's about time the Europeans are starting to figure out that the WOT is not only a US/UK thing.

I realize that this will start a major out cry with the Muslums, but how in the world can anyone tell a male from a female, or if a person is holding a weapon or even worse a bomb, if they are covered head to toe????

This took some major kahunas by the Italians to pass this measure, and time will tell if it's a success.

Natasha Bita, Florence
01aug05

ITALY has banned Islamic burqas under tough terrorism laws that provide two-year jail terms and E2000 ($3200) fines for anyone caught covering their face in a public place.

The counter-terrorism package, passed by Italy's parliament yesterday, doubles the existing penalty for wearing a burqa or chador -- traditional robes worn by Muslim women to cover their faces -- or full-faced helmets or balaclavas in public.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow, this seems to go even further than the French law, banning it from schools and other public buildings.

I wonder what they really expect to get out of this.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I agree with this and to be honest when one goes to a muslin countyr they MUST obey the rules of their countries and culture, e.a. foreigner women must cover themselves and their hair, so what makes them so special that they can just break everyone elses rules??

The world is at war with terrorism MUSLIM terrorism, and we need to see peoples faces so im very sorry but " IN ROME DO HAS THE ROMANS"

and before i get jumped for saying MUSLIM TERRORISM, lets remember that the plain hijackings from the 80's, 90's and 9/11 were donne by Msulims... if they were Chinese, i would have said CHINESE Terrorism... but theyr were and ARE Muslims !

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

I agree with this and to be honest when one goes to a muslin countyr they MUST obey the rules of their countries and culture, e.a. foreigner women must cover themselves and their hair, so what makes them so special that they can just break everyone elses rules??

The world is at war with terrorism MUSLIM terrorism, and we need to see peoples faces so im very sorry but " IN ROME DO HAS THE ROMANS"

and before i get jumped for saying MUSLIM TERRORISM, lets remember that the plain hijackings from the 80's, 90's and 9/11 were donne by Msulims... if they were Chinese, i would have said CHINESE Terrorism... but theyr were and ARE Muslims !

Your spelling and grammer needs some work, but your message is 100% correct.

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Good for them! Now the rest of the world needs to follow. Too bad the USA doesn't grow a set of garbanzos and create such a law.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Your spelling and grammer needs some work, but your message is 100% correct.

Maximu§

yeah both are horrible, and i have the bad habit of not using spellcheck, so 90% of my errors are just pure stupid... oh well...at the least the thought was right ...lol

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
(Perhaps) surprisingly, I don't have a real problem with this law. I do wish it was put forth as a law against covering one's face in public (including full-face helmuts, burqas, face masks, handkercheifs, etc) instead of a law against burqas (and maybe it is - just worded this way by the sensationalism of the press) but I think it's not a bad idea these days to be able to identify people operating in public.

I don't like how it's aimed at a religion, but I don't disagree with the idea at all.

On the other hand, can a person wear a trenchcoat? A long skirt? Backpacks? A large topcoat? Weapons can be hidden under and inside them. How much good is it going to do to single out the burqa? Won't they just switch to another method?

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If only we had a ban on mullets, maybe it would get the Stormfront crowd to stop posting on this board.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
It's about time the Europeans are starting to figure out that the WOT is not only a US/UK thing.

What are you talking about. The "WOT" is a US/UK only thing, they created the "phrase" for something they and the rest of Europe have suffered equally for years. "War On Terrorism" is just a silly name to justify current actions being carried out. EVERY country has been plauged by terrorism for as long as anyone can remember, its all very relative. Terrorism seems to have become a "trendy" brand to use for an agenda.

I realize that this will start a major out cry with the Muslums, but how in the world can anyone tell a male from a female, or if a person is holding a weapon or even worse a bomb, if they are covered head to toe????

You are totaly correct. Also, they shouldn't be allowed to carry bags of any kind either, they could have bombs in there. Muslims should be made to walk around naked, because any one of those Muslims could try and bomb us.

This took some major kahunas by the Italians to pass this measure, and time will tell if it's a success.

Oppression never works. This is going to cause massive repercussions. I expect them to retract this very soon.

Anyway, back to reality. Lets get away from your anti-muslim thinking. I have emboldened the important bit.

Natasha Bita, Florence
01aug05

ITALY has banned Islamic burqas under tough terrorism laws that provide two-year jail terms and E2000 ($3200) fines for anyone caught covering their face in a public place.

The counter-terrorism package, passed by Italy's parliament yesterday, doubles the existing penalty for wearing a burqa or chador -- traditional robes worn by Muslim women to cover their faces -- or full-faced helmets or balaclavas in public.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Your spelling and grammer needs some work

Yours too.

When on an English language board, use English.

Not many burka-wearing women are terrorists, and you can conceal a lethal weapon in a bikini.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If it is illegal not to show your 'real' face in public then someone tell Blair to take off all his makeup. He is actually uglier than he looks and is concealing terrorist thioughts behind the mask! Also I hear from a reliable source that he is actually a woman.

Next they will ban beards!

And sunglasses!

And zinc sunblock!

This is what I wear while surfing in summer here in NZ.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Roy Robinson Stewart]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Yours too.

When on an English language board, use English.

Not many burka-wearing women are terrorists, and you can conceal a lethal weapon in a bikini.

and thats why bikinis should be banned as well...lol... if everyone is topless there arent many places to conceal anything ...(i hope)...

anyways "sillyness" aside...its not that those women are terrorist, but if cant see their face it could even be a man, besides those poor women will do whatever they are told to do not metter how it has to be donne...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

and thats why bikinis should be banned as well...lol... if everyone is topless there arent many places to conceal anything ...(i hope)...

They could hide them in their bikini bottoms. We should all look out for topless people wearing bikini pants. They are likely to be terrorists.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Your spelling and grammer needs some work

Yours too. When on an English language board, use English.

What a cheap shot, Obviously your a child and I wonder if your parents know what kinda crap your posting online? I hope they read that remark and tan your hide!

Damn punk kids.....no respect.

Maximu§

[edit on 063131p://111 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is pretty foolish, but understandable I suppose. If you think about it though, what use do suicide bombers have for concealing their identities?

Most banks have a policy against head-scarfs and sunglasses, caps and hoodies and what not, but I think in public areas you should be able to dress how you please. What if you ride a motorcycle? What if it's a stipulation of your religion? Doesn't religious freedom have a sacred place in the Western consciousness?

In any case, I think it's an inflamatory law with little chance of success.

Maximus
Why don't you stop with the insults? (Even if they were in jest, which I thought they might be, it didn't really come through)

MA pointed out to you the stupidity of throwing stones in a glass house, and yet you keep at it. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Don't criticize other peoples' spelling if your own needs work, very basic rule, that. Hell, it's bad form to critique the grammar of others online in the first place, but if you can't even spell grammar, back up, re-assess your priorities (you can't die on every hill), and go watch NASCAR or something. I mean, look at your last paragraph for Christ's sake! I count 7 spelling and grammar mistakes in TWO LINES!

Just because you're over forty doesn't make you superior, in fact, it makes you demonstrably inferior.

We young'uns have fewer dead brain cells cluttering up the cranium.

And it shows.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

What a cheap shot, Obviously your a child and I wonder if your parents know what kinda crap your posting online? I hope they read that remark and tan your hide!

In a word, no.

You took the cheap shot at another member's spelling and grammar, now work on your own before you go to bed.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Double post.

Terror alert:

1. Beware of unseasonal clothing.
2. Beware of insults.
3. Beware of poor spelling and grammar, and cheap shots.

... and only out of the goodness of my heart, wherever it is to be found beneath my mask:

"Your spelling and grammer needs some work"

1. The spelling of grammar has been corrected.

2. When we list two items in the sentence above, we have pluralized and we need to use the form:

"Your spelling and grammar need some work."

Special bonus:

3. Elsewhere, we could benefit from the understanding of the two different forms:

(i) your is possessive

(ii) you're is the contraction of you are.

No, I am not an English teacher, but I strive to use my mother language appropriately, and with courtesy towards others, never faultfinding on something that I have not first recognized in myself.

Thanks WyrdeOne for a very correct interpretation of the distraction, and exposing what is beneath someone's burka.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Good! It won't be long before Islam is outlawed. x.x

What citizens can call themselves free when their own government forbids certain types of clothing? Here in Virginia, a law was proposed not to long ago to ban baggy pants. This stuff is beyond stupid. It's insane.

You can conceal a lethal weapon in almost any type of clothing, and if concealing your face is so threatening to national security, they should put their intelligence money to much better use so as to not have to impede civil liberties. That's sort of why we pay taxes, right? So our freedoms will be ensured? Oh, oops. I forgot freedom is on the backburner now. We can't let the terrorists take it from us, so let's take it from ourselves instead! Now they can't win.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm certainly no fan of Islam, but I think this law is only going to make it impossible for these women to even go out of the house, so I think it's punishing the wrong people....

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I see no point in this law. As the other posters said, you can hide weapons in any clothing if you wanted.

This law is basically sending a wrong signal to the muslim community there, probably around the world, that the west is becoming anti Islam.

And I bet 20000% that the Islamic Extremists are going to blow this law up so high, to further fuel their hatred and add "Prove" that the "Chistian Curasades" are out to get every Muslim in the world. Hell... they probably drag the Pope into it as well, since the hes in Italy, saying that the commanded the Italy goverment to do so, as means to undermine Islam

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Humster]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join