It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whew !! We are all safe now. Denmark has expressed "concern" over Iran's nuclear program...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
My title makes a little fun of this, but this is a big deal.

For Denmark to make statements against Iran’s nuclear program, you can bet many European and other nations have the same sentiment.

Even France has come out and stated Iran cannot have nuclear weapons.

This is huge people, although it may not seem so on the surface.

I just hope that the Iranian people can overthrow its current regime before the world decides to act. As it clearly is starting to galvanize.

Article

"COPENHAGEN - The Danish foreign ministry summoned Iran's charge d'affaires last week to express its concern over Tehran's impending resumption of sensitive nuclear work, the ministry said in a statement on Monday.

Charge d'affaires Hossein Taleshi Salehani was summoned on July 28 for talks with senior ministry official Anne Dorte Reggelsen.

"Denmark supports the efforts to find a diplomatic solution to the issue of the Iranian nuclear programme," the statement said, and urged Tehran to "maintain the suspension of (uranium) enrichment activities and to pursue negotiations on the basis of the coming European Union proposal."

"Iran is aware that this proposal is expected by next week," the ministry said.

The Danish statement was published as Iran announced on Monday that it plans to deliver a letter to the International Atomic Energy Agency informing the UN watchdog about its resumption of nuclear work, a negotiator told AFP in Tehran.

"We're going to hand over the letter in half an hour," Ali Agha Mohammadi told AFP.

In separate comments to state television, he added: "In this letter, we say to the IAEA that we are resuming our (uranium ore conversion) activities at Isfahan starting from today under its supervision."

The seals placed on the facility by the IAEA "will be removed today in the presence of the agency inspectors currently in Iran."

Conversion, the process by which uranium ore is changed into a gas as a precursor to enrichment, was suspended by Iran last November for the duration of talks with the European Union on providing guarantees that its nuclear programme is exclusively civil..."

[edit on 1-8-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 1-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Kinda like when the UN expresses 'concern' or 'demands' something.
No bite behind the bark. Heck ... not even a bark, but a wimper.
Well ... at least they said something. That's rather brave of a
nation that usually takes the appeasement trail.

Appeasers .. just remember .. the croc will still bite you even
though you feed it.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This is important though. How often do we hear statements from Denmark against other nation’s practices? Rarely or never. This statement from Denmark is a great litmus test for the overall feelings if Iran in Europe. First France then Denmark, this means many other nations are feeling the same way.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Iran put it's nuclear power plans on hold after requests from Europeans for "talks". Those talks have gone nowhere so Iran is to resume work again. Easy to understand really and they have every right as a sovereign nation to continue.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yeah because DENMARK is the centre of the universe.

Colleague at work thinks so.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
well we wont really know if all, or most, european nations feel the same unless they come out and say they do. just because some random nations joined the "coalition of the willing" that didn't mean all it's neighbors believed in the same cause.

this could be an indicator as you pointed out, but it's just a guess as good as any until we hear more nations speaking about it.

in my opinion, Iran is just going to be Iraq all over again. hopefully the reasons of war would be much clearer and it really is a last resort situation.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Skippytjc is building the case for Iran like no other; your neo-Trotskyite brethren should involve you in a Government think-tank over at the Pentagon, as you have the ability to spew likeminded Rhetoric in absolute abundance.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Iran put it's nuclear power plans on hold after requests from Europeans for "talks". Those talks have gone nowhere so Iran is to resume work again. Easy to understand really and they have every right as a sovereign nation to continue.

You couldnt be further from the truth, I suggest you read up on this a bit before posting that. Iran REFUSES to concede anything offered by any party its spoken to. Its not that talks dont make any progress, its that Iran will not accept anything shy of full enrichment. Other nations have offered them everything they need to produce nuclear power, but Iran wants to be able to enrich the uranium themsleves and nothing less. Of course, this is true because they want weapons.

Its not simple at all.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MERC
Skippytjc is building the case for Iran like no other; your neo-Trotskyite brethren should involve you in a Government think-tank over at the Pentagon, as you have the ability to spew likeminded Rhetoric in absolute abundance.

First up, I didnt make the statement, Denmark did

Secondly, your comment: "..as you have the ability to spew likeminded Rhetoric in absolute abundance" is a personal attack and is against the TOS. You should read that as it will keep you from getting banned.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Round and around it goes. There is still no PROOF that Iran is developing nuclear weapons so until such time as proof is shown, you have nothing but speculation and innuendo.
The IAEA have found no evidence either, despite being given open access.
Enrichment has applications for power reactors too, not just weapons, which the NPT allows

Why should Iran put it's nuclear power plans on hold and bow to conditions imposed by others?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Secondly, your comment: "..as you have the ability to spew likeminded Rhetoric in absolute abundance" is a personal attack and is against the TOS. You should read that as it will keep you from getting banned.

whoa, calm down there tiger, it looked to me like a little gentle ribbing nothing more nothing less so before you run off and tell teacher try and get yourself a sense of humour.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Actually the Danish government has long been a supporter of Bush's mid-east policy, and Denmark is one of the few European countries that sent troops to Iraq.

This really doesn't come as much of a surprise to me...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by MERC

First up, I didnt make the statement, Denmark did

Don't worry about me, Skipfield; I don't think I will get banned any time soon. I genuinely apologise for the personal attack though, I thought someone with Darth Maul in their Avatar would take it as a compliment!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Usually when people in a certain country start screaming "Death to Israel!", "Death to America!", "Death to Britain!".
It will persuade you that someone doesn't like a little somebody.

I mean seriously.
When Hitler screamed something along the lines of "a complete annihlation of the jews!"

Nobody actually thought it was really going to happen, they just figure it was for better poll numbers, and perhaps the jews were going to be safely transported in their high class Limo's to the ghetto.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by evanfitz]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAH,

Sorry, you did have a funny title. Even though most may disagree, it is nice and refreshing to see a sense of humor about these subjects!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
i always knew those danish would come around some day.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Until the other nations speak with power, Iran will never listen. GB and USA spoke to Libya with power in the past. Libya tends to listen now and work things out. Iran has not reached that point of understanding as yet and will not negoiate on any items because their agenda is still death to the infidels.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
hmmm, I noticed something in that article that somehow escaped the attention of many here:

In separate comments to state television, he added: "In this letter, we say to the IAEA that we are resuming our (uranium ore conversion) activities at Isfahan starting from today under its supervision."

If I understand this correctly, the uranium enrichment will be done under IAEA supervision, so they will be aware of whats going on.

Next point: if Iran wanted to nuke USA they would have done it by now. There are ways and means of obtaining nukes from Russia.
Or if they want weapons grade uranium they can get that too, buy it, they don't have to make it.

This looks more like a political game.

We got right wing conservative USA plus Israeli lobby who do not allow any kind of nuclear program whatsoever, thinking "now that we got WMD we're all about respecting international wishes and treaties about it".
There is also the aspect of cheap energy produced by nuclear powerplants, giving Iran the necessary edge in the future "wars" for resources and energy.
Some might not like that.

Then we got Europe, who see the oportunity to WORK with Iran legaly, sell them equipment, send their people to supervise/assist the work and so secure in a peaceful manner complete monitoring of iranian nuclear program.

Iran is not Iraq. Iran actually has a functional army, a good one, so a war with them would be disastrous. Iran doesn't want war either, they would have attacked by now if they really wanted to, if that was the primary goal. However they won't just stand by and let their country be carpet bombed because of a THEORY about what they MIGHT do at some point in the future.

War can be avoided with talks, and my guess is that most normal people want to resolve it that way.
Iran will continue the program and I think that in the end Europe will make some kind of arangement with them to participate in it.

Finaly, we got the religious nutters with their craptacular theories, those who think we are fighting some kind of biblical end time battle in the middle east and that Iran is Satan; the groups who are waiting for the messiah and think they have to build some temples and destroy everyone around them so that the messiah can come; the extremist bunch who see themselves as better then others and who want to spread their way across the globe. You know, THAT kind.

If any of them, anywhere, get their hands on nuclear weapon, it will be the death of us all.

So, better to make deals with normal people and give this planet a chance, then to ignore everything in a bad-ass kinda way and force everyone to do your bidding, giving those extremists a chance to have their Armageddon.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
HMmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I wonder how many Threads Regarding IRAN have you made Skipster?

You alone could be Employed in the Oval Office as the Iran Affairs Advisor!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
IMO USA is lobbying in EU for ending Iran's nuclear programme through Denmark.

Here's a Link

Bilaterally, U.S. and Danish businesses have always demonstrated a strong commitment to increasing our already strong trade and investment partnership. More than 400 subsidiaries of U.S. firms have established themselves in Denmark. Direct U.S. investment in Denmark exceeded USD 19 billion in 2003, which makes the U.S. the largest foreign investor in Denmark. Danish firms too are investing heavily in the United States – over USD 10 billion through 2003. Such strong economic activity sustains long-term growth in the global economy, leads to the creation of new businesses, and increases the availability of good jobs and positive choices for Danish and U.S. consumers. For our part, we remain committed to deepening our trade and investment relationship with Denmark, and strengthening our economic ties.

Something's rotten in the State of Denmark.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join