It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arh: Bell Wins ! I Don't Believe This.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Bell Helicopter has won a $2.2 billion contract by the United States Army to build its next generation Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter, or ARH. The ARH will replace the Army's OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Helicopter also produced by Bell. The contract calls for Bell Helicopter to build 368 aircraft for delivery during fiscal years 2006 through 2013.

"We are honored to have been chosen by the U.S. Army to continue our legacy of providing outstanding Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter technology," said Mike Redenbaugh, Chief Executive Officer of Bell Helicopter Textron.

"The Army requires a state-of-the art Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter and that's exactly what Bell Helicopter will deliver."

Bell's ARH is a militarized version of its highly successful 407 single engine light helicopter. Capable of being equipped with a wide variety of weapons, the Bell ARH will provide the Army with exceptional mission versatility and with the flexibility to accomplish armed reconnaissance, light attack, troop insertion, and special operations missions with a single aircraft. The Bell ARH will also provide greater deployability, interoperability and survivability.

"We look forward to this partnership both with the Army and with our world-class aerospace suppliers-to provide a premier aircraft to America's troops," Redenbaugh said.

www.bellhelicopter.textron.com...

So, basically, since the 1980's, billions of dollars have been spent on research to have a state of the art scouting helicopter, the Commanche, which, even if cancelled, could have provided a good airframe for such tasks if removed the various "stealthy" stuff that was expensive and overkill, and now they end up with another version of the Jet Ranger ?

[edit on 1-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
hmm this is odd indeed.
Didn't they want to stop building and using attack helicopters because they're so vulnerable? I believe they said that during Operation Iraqi Freedom...

But that chopper does look great, doesn't it

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yes it does, consider the Comanche with extra weapons and armor the future of air mobility. If UAVs and such are to be the future of technology warfare, then nothing is stopping helos from being reinvented.

This chopper being a manned vehicle, will no doubt go against that concept. But it still has purpose and value with being undetected, so long as the element of surprise remains, choppers will continue to be of use.

So Zion, could you see any of the others in the industry manufacturing anything better, other than the helo I mentioned above?

I really like the intro, I replayed it like 5 times.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Tiger Attack Helicopter,
A129 International Multi-Role Combat Helicopter,
Rooivalk Attack Helicopter,
A109M Light, Twin-Engine Multipurpose Helicopter,
AS 550 Fennec Single-Engined Light Military Helicopter,
AS 565 Panther Multirole Light Helicopter,
Super Lynx - Combat Helicopter,

Wouldn't these be better, And yes they aren't AMERICAN.

AH-1W/AH-1Z Super Cobra - Attack Helicopter,

These are some other choices but not all.
It just seems very odd.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Jezza, can I ask you what is wrong with Bell winning the contract?

I have been deployed by 'Hueys' for years and I've always found them to be versatile, worthy little choppers - and they can pack one hell of a sting.

Hey, ask any Viet Nam vet. Them birds were a Godsend to the grunts, air support, casevac and a battlefield taxi. And I believe the UH-1Gs were the first choppers to be armed with TOW missiles and they took care of the
T-55/56s during the Battle of Hue.

What more can you ask for?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Jezza, can I ask you what is wrong with Bell winning the contract?

I have been deployed by 'Hueys' for years and I've always found them to be versatile, worthy little choppers - and they can pack one hell of a sting.

Hey, ask any Viet Nam vet. Them birds were a Godsend to the grunts, air support, casevac and a battlefield taxi. And I believe the UH-1Gs were the first choppers to be armed with TOW missiles and they took care of the
T-55/56s during the Battle of Hue.

What more can you ask for?

Nothing at all BELL choppers are great.
Me personally i would choose the TIGER for the mission ARH.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Personally I think a modern up to date Hind would out class anything else.
So much potential, a true legend in it's own right. That is just me though, and I am no helicopter engineer or pilot, so what do I know.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So Zion, could you see any of the others in the industry manufacturing anything better, other than the helo I mentioned above?

Well, there simply arent that many light attack & troop insertion helicopters.
The Tiger is a European helicopter, and the Hind is Russian.
With all the Boeing - EADS drama going on, its not surprizing the US Army chooses an american company.

This helicopter isn't such a bad choise, because they also want to use it for troop insertion, the Tiger and AH-1 dont have that capability.

The Super Lynx would be a good alternative, or the new (european) NH-90

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza

Then no, they wouldn't be better. Buy American. Keep
Americans employed. ALSO - where repair parts, services
and replacement vehicles are needed, America doesn't
need to be relying on foreign governments and companies.
This is a strategic piece of American security. No foreign
parts, no foreign reliance. It's better that way.

What ticks me off is the new US Army Barretts are made in
CHINA! So ... if we have a war with China or supplies or
trade is cut off, then the US Army will have to scramble for
new hats for our soldiers.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Jezza

Then no, they wouldn't be better. Buy American. Keep
Americans employed. ALSO - where repair parts, services
and replacement vehicles are needed, America doesn't
need to be relying on foreign governments and companies.
This is a strategic piece of American security. No foreign
parts, no foreign reliance. It's better that way.

What ticks me off is the new US Army Barretts are made in
CHINA! So ... if we have a war with China or supplies or
trade is cut off, then the US Army will have to scramble for
new hats for our soldiers.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by FlyersFan]

Your right i didn't want this turn into euro vs us forum.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Looks like a more advanced warrior to me..

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Great thread, I share the authors disbelief, this is incredible !

Firstly, I believe that attack choppers are just too darned easy to shoot down. Use a UAV with a couple of Hellfires instead, the manned combat aircraft's days may be numbered, but the days of the attack chopper are OVER. Bosnia proved that to anyone who was paying attention.

But to re-vamp the Jet Ranger like this, is well, hilarious.

Expect the military to start re-equipping with M1 Garands and Sherman tanks real soon.

You couldn't make this stuff up !!

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

M6D

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I actually prefer bell helicopters, apprently bell helos have always been a lot nicer to fly, and maintain, which is always a nice bit for the maintanence crew

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This will be built in Mirabel Plant (north of Montréal), then ship to the USA for final installation of armement, etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
BTW, no "beret's" were purchased from Red China....or Taiwan for that matter.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by M6D
I actually prefer bell helicopters, apprently bell helos have always been a lot nicer to fly, and maintain, which is always a nice bit for the maintanence crew

Compared to whose helicopters?

M6D

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Sikorsky, the main rival.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
can you now post pictures of the two helos?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This from Bell helicopters:

"To save time in the supply process, each helicopter will be pre-equipped with 2 body bags, and 2 toe tags".

new topics

top topics

join