It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimbabwe's Al Qaeda Link; Future Excuse For Regime Change ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Watching a Channel 4 news report the other day concerning the arrest of of British national Haroon Rashid Aswat who was wanted in connection with the 7/7 bomb attacks in London, I was struck by the fact that little was made of the fact that he had been picked up on the Zambian border having crossed from Zimbabwe where he had been hiding out. South African intelligence had tipped the British off.

Zimbabwe is a member of INTERPOL, yet Aswat was not arrested. Aswat was wanted for having made 20 telephone calls from his mobile to two of the four suicide bombers just days before the 7/7 attacks.

President Mugabe's hatred of the UK and it's leaders is well known.

Does his hatred extend to harbouring Islamic terrorists planning to attack London ?

Does it even extend to encouraging or facilitating such attacks ?

If the South Africans knew Aswat was in Zimbabwe and were monitoring his movements and knew he was a wanted man then I find it hard to believe the Zimbabwe Government and Security officials didn't know he was hiding there.

Many Questions ??

I'll try and find more links but here is one to start with.

www.swradioafrica.com...

Counter-terrorism officials said Mr Aswat was "of interest" to them, but there was no evidence linking him either to the July 7 or July 21 attacks. They are irritated by repeated suggestions in the US that he was connected to the bombings. They described Mr Aswat as "a separate individual of interest in his own right".

www.guardian.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.ft.com...

Just a quick correction: Many recent stories are suggesting that Aswat is not connected to 7/7 but he is wanted

Lots of claims and counter claims. Very murky!

[edit on 1-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
^^^ Excellent post

I'll subscribe and watch with baited breath.

Spacemunkey

[edit on 1-8-2005 by spacemunkey]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Sure it is JB1, what else would it be? Surely nothing good, that would not be profitable enough. Who ever got rich off from doing things for others.

In my opinion, it is just going to be another puppet goverment, like all the rest.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Does his hatred extend to harbouring Islamic terrorists planning to attack London ?

Does it even extend to encouraging or facilitating such attacks ?

Thanks for bringing this up...since Mugabe and his 'clearances' has directly and horribly affected a personal friend of my family, I too will be watching this thread to see what develops. His despicable methods on not only the white farmers, but more so, his reckless irresponsibility to the population of Zimbawe as well, stand in need of accounting.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
His despicable methods on not only the white farmers,

Lets not forget the "bood diamonds", how many were killed for the mineing of thier land for Zales and other companies.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The Canadian government cannot claim innocence in the blood diamonds scandal either, that is certain. As well, colonialism and the practice of 'keeping down' the locals has a long and tainted history in Africa...that is certain. These are things which we have agonized over for many years now and the examples are many and disgusting.

I am not against the gradual and measured return of the land to native Zimbabweans...I am agaist the methods used. Murder and intimidation have been the hallmarks of his Veteran Army.

Moreover, it is the cost to the population of these methods I find particularly scary.

www.ezilon.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Edit for quick google links:

[edit on 1-8-2005 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

join