It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yowie...are the Aussies pulling our leg!!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Watched a program on satellite last night about 'mythical' creatures.

The program covered firstly the sea creature thats regularly sited in Canada (forget the name - basically a large serpent looking animal with a head similar to a camel/horse) - quite convinced that this could exist, given the size and depth of the oceans.

Then it went on to the Yowie.... although the creature has allegedly been seen since before the europeans arrival on to the continent the evidence presented wasn't very convincing, no fleeting images captured, vague marks on tree's etc. etc.

It showed a group of investigators searching the bush and setting up observation posts but to no avail and also a few 'eye witness' accounts of silhouettes in the trees and bait being taken. The witnesses seemed to believe that they saw something but again no evidence produced.

The country is vast and still largely unpopulated so things could lie undiscovered...........But taking into account the Australian sense of humour.....are they having a laugh!!??

Spacemunkey

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
In Canada, you must be talking about Ogopogo...the monster which supposedly lives in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia...

www.tourcanada.com...

Yowie sounds similar to this creature as well as the famous Nessie. Here in Ontario there has been talk by locals about a monster in Lake Huron near the town of Southampton at the base of the Bruce Peninsula.

The one thing that is common about all these is the location, imo...all three are in close proximity to deep waters and submarine caves. Can the same be said of Yowie and the lake it swims in?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Yeah! thats the name - Ogopogo, it showed a photgraph taken in the 30's of an strange animal they had found that was badly decomposed but you got a rough idea of the outline of the animal.

And the Yowie is allegedly between 2 - 3 metres tall and is basically the Australian Bigfoot.

Spacemunkey

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I grew up spending a lot of time in the bush here in Australia and heard lots of stories about the yowie. Essentially, spacemunkey is right in saying that it's the Australian equivalent of Bigfoot. My grandfather is a really experienced bushman and, although he would tell stories about the yowie (as well as the bunyip, our resident lake monster), he had never seen one. I have never met anyone who claimed to have seen one or known anyone who had.

If it's possible, the yowie is even less well-documented than its North American and Himalayan counterparts. There are typically said to be 2 types of yowie: one is large (6-10 feet) and one is smaller (4-5 feet). There are more than 10 000 reported sightings of the yowie throughout Australia.

I am quite skeptical about the existence of the yowie, but it is true that this is an enormous country with even more wilderness than the United States. And contrary to what I have seen in movies, the overwhelming majority of our population lives in our coastal cities. If a creature were to go undocumented, this would be the place to do it.

Check out these sites for some basic info on the yowie:
Yowie Hunters
The Australian Yowie Research Centre
Although be wary of anything Rex Gilroy has to say.

So no, we're not pulling your leg. Maybe if somebody told you they saw a hoop-snake, or a drop-bear, or my favourite: the dreaded kangawallafox!
Hope I could help.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Jeremiah25]

top topics

join