It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Paramilitary Assassins Threaten Southern U.S. Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
U.S. Law Enforcement officials are concerned about a new threat from the Southern border: a band of Mexican military deserters, trained by the US to a high degree of lethality, now in the employ of the drug cartels. The group calls themselves the "Zetas" and have spread into the Southern US states from bases in Mexico. They have been witnessed conducting military style raids across the border into the US, to protect drug shipments, assassinate rivals, and harass law enforcement officials. They have solid connections to the Mexican authorities, which gives them the ability to move across the border with ease, and now it appears the Zetas have permanent footholds on American soil.

www.washtimes.com
A renegade band of Mexican military deserters, offering $50,000 bounties for the assassination of U.S. law-enforcement officers, has expanded its base of operations into the United States to protect loads of coc aine and marijuana being brought into America by Mexican smugglers, authorities said.
The deserters, known as the "Zetas," trained in the United States as an elite force of anti-drug commandos, but have since signed on as mercenaries for Mexican narcotics traffickers and have recruited an army of followers, many of whom are believed to be operating in Texas, Arizona, California and Florida.
Working mainly for the Gulf Cartel, one of Mexico's most dangerous drug-trafficking organizations, as many as 200 Zeta members are thought to be involved, including former Mexican federal, state and local police. They are suspected in more than 90 deaths of rival gang members and others, including police officers, in the past two years in a violent drug war to control U.S. smuggling routes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It appears that one of two things is happening. There are certainly other possibilities, but I think these are the most likely. First possibility: we're being played, to increase terror and make the American public easier to control during this time of transition.

Second possibility: we're once again feeling the effects of our own medicine. The lesson: don't train people to kill if you don't want them trying to kill you down the line, seems to have been lost on us (US) considering the fact that Al-Qaeda, the Zetas, and how many Iraqi insurgents, were all trained by the US to fight some other enemy.

Hell, Rome learned this lesson ages ago, mercenary troops aren't reliable, and there's a good chance you'll have to put them down sometime in the future. Someone else will offer them more money to turn against you, or your interests will gravitate down divergent paths, conflict is almost inevitable. It's a tried and true principle of warfare. You'd think the strategic planners would have covered the subject at school. I don't know which is the case, but I don't like either scenario. Opinions?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Some more information for those interested.

Link

Link 2

Link 3

I think this is a serious threat. Of course, mercenaries have always been available to drug cartels, but these men, having been trained by the US, are uniquely equipped to fight against them. If they know the tactics of their enemy, they are that much more deadly.

The other disturbing element of this story is the complacency of border agents. It appears some of them have special deals with the Zetas, and this allows the group and unprecedented freedom of movement across tightly controlled areas. I think this gives them an advantage over the US forces, who must respect the border, or risk confrontations with Mexican authorities.

How high up the food chain do you suppose this corruption goes? All the way to Fox? That would make this a very serious situation indeed.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one!
When you take into account the round up of illegal gang members all over the US last month, 528 of them to be exact, then it is a lot bigger problem than many would have believed!

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The Zeta's will only be as effective as the their paychecks. If the money funding them gets cut off then they are likely to melt into the background, don't be suprised if you see the DEA and the DOJ going after the Gulf Cartel's money in the near future. That's the likely motivation for Zeta members, money, dry that up and these guys pack it up and go home.

As for being linked to the Mexican gov't, it's more likely just the usual Mexican corruption not a major conspiracy to mount an insurgency into the US. At least not a government conspiracy.

I think these guys are a threat to the "average" US law enforcement officer but in reality they probably have no interest in bringing down the full wieght of the US military on themselves. I have no doubt they'll shoot a border patrol agent or a cop to protect a drug shipment but why would a band of 200 ex-soldiers want to go up against a major power? No, the zetas are fighting for drug trafficiking dominence, they are fighting other drug gangs and not fighting for some "nationalistic" goal.

TexNews.com
The Zetas have killed dozens of rival traffickers, trading shots from passing sport utility vehicles on the streets of Nuevo Laredo. In one attack, they engaged in a shootout in broad daylight just yards from where the city's mayor was attending a flag-raising ceremony.

The Zetas sometimes leave their victims' bodies packed in car trunks. In one massacre, they wrote information about a rival gang on a wall above a pile of victims, encouraging police to dismantle the other group.

I agree something needs to be done about these guys but I don't think the US can do it. Mexico and Pres. Fox need to put these cartels down and dry up the funds for groups like Zeta, the US can only try to round up the people here, it's Mexico that has to deal with the bases and money Zeta uses and to wipe out the cartels hiring them. It's time for the Mexicans to "grow a pair" and deal with the drugs.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Its a chess move, to push the stupid left in the US into arming the border. That way homeland security can finally do its job without the public or at least the very vocal left proclaiming there outrage at putting so many "guns" at the border.

Put it in the public view, "kill" a few border patrol personal, create panic and step in with military control of the border. The right is happy that we are tying up the flood across the border, the left is complacent because we are protecting our goverment workers from assasination. And Mexico gets a big fat paycheck....

Seems all very much like a typical day in politics in North America.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Gunfire from across the border is not a new thing. In the past, it has been reported that not only mexican police but also mexican military have fired upon the US border patrol.
To date, when someone calls for a militarization of the border, they are labeled as redneck, hillbilly, and of course predjudice.
So, even if the Zetas start to fire on the border patrols, I seriously doubt that the US goverment will do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth
Mexico and Pres. Fox need to put these cartels down and dry up the funds for groups like Zeta, the US can only try to round up the people here, it's Mexico that has to deal with the bases and money Zeta uses and to wipe out the cartels hiring them. It's time for the Mexicans to "grow a pair" and deal with the drugs.

I don't think that is going to happen because most Mexicans have no respect for their own laws, can't tell the difference between what's right and what's wrong and are generally too stupid to take things, like civilian laws, moral standards, ethical issues and good living conditions, seriously enough. There are no good standards throughout Mexico, just a lot of apathy, indifference and pure stupidity that allows corruption, crimes and drug trafficking to thrive unchecked.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I don't think that is going to happen because most Mexicans have no respect for their own laws, can't tell the difference between what's right and what's wrong and are generally too stupid to take things, like civilian laws, moral standards, ethical issues and good living conditions, seriously enough. There are no good standards throughout Mexico, just a lot of apathy, indifference and pure stupidity that allows corruption, crimes and drug trafficking to thrive unchecked.

Spew your racist trash somewhere else. The above pile of drivel is completely unsubstantiated, unfounded, and a critical failure on your part to differentiate between the behaviors of individuals and 'race-typical' traits.

This is a perfect definition of racism. Thanks for providing it for us, now go away. Consider yourself reported.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hear Hear WyrdeOne!
I second and third that!
We do not need this to become a racial issue especially since it is NOT!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You don't know Mexicans. This has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with honest acknowledgment of WHY Mexicans are allowing too many immigrants from Mexico and Central Americans into the United States ILLEGALLY. It show that they have no respect for the US laws when it comes to immigration issues and no respect for the US Constitution.

Yes, the US government does a lousy job in securing the borders and stopping the flow of illegal immigrations but the entire blame rests squarely on the Mexicans FOR NOT DOING A THING ABOUT STOPPING DRUG TRAFFICKING, GANGSTERISM/ORGANIZED CRIME, CORRUPTION, AND THE BREAKDOWN OF CIVILIAN LAWS IN MEXICO!!

That is why some good, law-abiding Mexicans are leaving Mexico for the US for better life and getting away from all the problems in Mexico like I mentioned above.

Like looking4truth pointed out, "Grow a pair!"

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
A better title would have been: Paramilitary Assassins Threaten US and Mexican Border: US and Mexico Co-operate In Hunt For 'Zetas'.

Zetas are outlaws in Mexico, and outlaws in the US. They are wanted criminals in Mexico, and also in the US. Using this issue to divide two neighbors is a false flag.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You don't know Mexicans.

Could you be any more exemplary of a standard-issue bigot? Two of my best friends in LA were of Mexican heritage, one was a fantastic screenwriter and the other was a stand-up comic with real talent. One of my close friends in New York was an exemplary citizen, a law enforcement officer, undercover no less, and a Mexican immigrant to boot. My other friend from NY, who worked vice in downtown bars, was both Mexican and Spanish, mixed blood. I knew these men, and they were good men. Your broad-brush treatment is an insult to them, and others like them, and furthermore, it's an insult to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Your Mexican friends live in the US for years. You're talking about Mexican friends you know. You don't know what's really going on in Mexico:

The Department of State recommends caution in traveling to the southern state of Chiapas.  Armed rebels and armed civilian groups are present in some areas of the state, and there is often no effective law enforcement or police protection. Violent criminal gang activity along the State’s southern border – mostly aimed at illegal migrants – continues to be a concern.  U.S. citizens traveling to Chiapas are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy for further security information prior to traveling to the region.

Sporadic outbursts of politically motivated violence occur from time to time in certain parts of the country, particularly in the southern states of Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca.

CRIME: Crime in Mexico continues at high levels, and it is often violent, especially in Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, and the state of Sinaloa. Other metropolitan areas have lower, but still serious, levels of crime. Low apprehension and conviction rates of criminals contribute to the high crime rate.

Kidnapping, including the kidnapping of non-Mexicans, continues at alarming rates. So-called "express" kidnappings, an attempt to get quick cash in exchange for the release of an individual, have occurred in almost all the large cities in Mexico and appear to target not only the wealthy, but also middle class persons.

Americans have become victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by Mexican law enforcement and other officials.

Mexican authorities have failed to prosecute numerous crimes committed against American citizens, including murder and kidnapping.  Local police forces suffer from a lack of funds and training, and the judicial system is weak, overworked, and inefficient. Criminals, armed with an impressive array of weapons, know there is little chance they will be caught and punished.  In some cases, assailants have been wearing full or partial police uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles, indicating some elements of the police might be involved. 

Read the rest and weep.

Mexico has the 12th largest economy in the world but its crime rates are highest in Latin America. If the people of Mexico take their laws of the land seriously, learn the difference between what's right/proper and what's wrong/improper about the ways they do for themselves and their country, things might actually turn around for them, stopping drug cartels from corrupting Mexico, bribing everyone left and right, circumventing the law enforcement and military illegally, and screwing up Mexico's image to the world.

I don't care if you see this as bigotry or whatever, you failed to see the real underlying factors why illegal immigration, drug trafficking and gangsterism continues to trickle into the US on a monthly basis are due to the fact that most Mexicans don't even attempt to take these matters more seriously! I don't wanted a war between the US and Mexico when more American people is already p*ssed off about the US government's not securing the borders, stopping drug cartels and drug trafficking and blaming Mexico for making matters worse and not doing a thing about it!

I have yet to see any CONCRETE efforts by the Mexicans to stop these matters from getting worse for the past three decades!

Why the heck do you think what's going on in Nuevo Lardo is getting worse?! WAKE UP!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yep interesting story covered here on ATSN :

Story

ELF

[edit on 2-8-2005 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Something tells me about you, WrydeOne, if you can't take the laws of the land seriously or respect 'em, then you shouldn't be here at all (in country, I mean).

I mean, come on, you accused the Bush administration for not respecting "international law" (or whatever that was) over the invasion of Iraq and you have the gall to accuse me of bigotry and racism while ignoring the real causes of immigration, drug trafficking, corruption and gangsterism steaming from MEXICO?!

This smacks of double standards from you.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
WyrdeOne...I was reading something this bigot said on a different thread a few days ago, and when I got to the bottom I noticed (s)he had a link to littlegreenfootballs. Have you ever been there? It's a right-wing blog, and they find it highly amusing to post jokes, cartoons, and pictures of a certain dead American woman who was killed while standing in front of a bulldozer to protest the razing of homes in Israel. yes, they are a real funny bunch over there...wonder why he/she removed the link to it? After seeing that link under the sig., I knew all I needed to, and the opinion expressed here doesn't shock me at all...makes me feel like puking to be frank.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
IMHO- I think this is a story generated to put an end to the minute men type militias that we are seeing running rampant, AND the reactionary groups that have recently been showing up to protest.

This sounds too much like some wet dream fantasy straight out of soldier of fortune magazine. What better way to scare off the Suburbanite weekend warrior, than with a threat that rogue US trained Commandos are operating in the area?

Conversely, I would not be surprised if this were true either. Too much money is at stake (drugs, illegal labor) to let some little constitutionalist, and opposing do gooders get in the way.

IMHO- The only point here that matters, sadly, is not the point being raised enough. As someone else previously said- don't train people to kill, if you don't want the possibility of them coming to kill you.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One more thing: I have friends and know people who are of Mexican origins and they're legal immigrants but few are second generation Mexican-Americans. One time I asked a Mexican immigrant if he ever think about going back to Mexico someday? He says, "No way, dude!" with a dismissive laugh. I asked why? He says the United States is waay better than Mexico in every level. He came to California by the way of Texas and lived for five years before moving to the Midwest. He's already filed his legal immigration with the US gov't but it'll be a long time before he gets his citizenship.

[edit on 8/2/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
Something tells me about you, WrydeOne, if you can't take the laws of the land seriously or respect 'em, then you shouldn't be here at all (in country, I mean).

Yeop, typical right-wing, neocon spewing...if you DARE to question this administration you are a traitor and unamerican. Can you say baaaaa?

And the typical "I'm not a racist" defense..."I know a few *insert race here*"

Unreal.....

[edit on 8/2/05 by maidenwolf]

[edit on 8/2/05 by maidenwolf]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

This is beautiful, you're like a diorama of every argument I've ever heard from the racist camp. "If you don't like it, you can get out!" Okay, sure, the moment you're appointed grand poobah you can evict me from this, the country of my birth.

I mean, come on, you accused the Bush administration for not respecting "international law" (or whatever that was) over the invasion of Iraq and you have the gall to accuse me of bigotry and racism while ignoring the real causes of immigration, drug trafficking, corruption and gangsterism steaming from MEXICO?!

Apples and oranges. You are making bigoted, racist statements, painting all Mexicans with the same brush. There's no question of that, your words speak for themselves. That little red tag, that speaks for itself. Anything I have said in the past regarding the Bush Administration is in regards to the Bush Administration, not white people or Americans in general. Your logic leaves much to be desired, and your backpeddling isn't even sufficiently frenzied to make me chuckle. I honestly wouldn't even be having this discussion with you, except for the fact that I'm waiting for the paint to dry in my living room, so I can apply another coat.

There are plenty of forums full up with folks like yourself, with similar opinions based entirely on prejudice and ignorance, why don't you hang out there instead? This forum will not tolerate your indiscretions.

This smacks of double standards from you.

Again, your logic fails to impress. You want to play quotes with me, go for it. Show the people of this thread my double standard using my own words, prove your point or put it away. Otherwise, everyone else is going to assume the same thing I will, that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join