It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR 15 or AK?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
7.62x54 isnt THAT bad a kickback, considering its only used in full rifles or MGs.

Once again, the pricetag can be a big factor to a gun, and I dont even want to think of how much each XM-8s cost to produce, when you can produce AKs for next to nothing.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
One way to improve the sights of AK is to move the rear sight to the top of the reciever cover and to use a tightener to secure the cover to the reciever. (like done in Sako m/95) or to attach a scope/red dot to the side of the reciever box.

The 7.62x54 is easily controllable and accurate when fired from PKM MG for example, or from a full lenght rifle (i've fired it with from Mosin Nagant and TAK85) but it's not designed to be fired from full auto rifles ask anyone who used the Soviet automatic rifles during WW2, like my grandpa
)

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
the ak's recoil make the weopon rather inaccurate but is very powerful. When shooting it use the semi automatic mode. The7.62 round can penetrate some unammored versions of the HMMWV. Kevlar is not suffciant form of armor against it. Steel plated armor stands a better chance.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I wonder if 7.62 steel core rounds would penetrate modern body armor, not just kevlar.
This being steel core 7.62x39 or 7.62x54.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
I wonder if 7.62 steel core rounds would penetrate modern body armor, not just kevlar.
This being steel core 7.62x39 or 7.62x54.

No. SAPI plates will (and have) defeat all shoulder fired rifle projectiles.

Any rifle round will defeat soft kevlar armor currently in use.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Even a .22LR?
j/k

Is the AK-74 (SAR-2?) more accurate with it's 5.45x39mm round?

Also, how is the 5.45 compared to 5.56 nato?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join