Is it anti-Semitic to criticise Israel?

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 03:53 AM
link   
It seems that for every reasonable, valid debate issue regarding Israel and its "we don't negotiate" neighbors, anti-semites rise from the woodwork to sprew ridiculous anti-Israel nonsense that no reasonable person could accept, ruining what might be a valid discussion.

New Zealand Herald

No one will deny the historical existence of anti-Jewish hatred and persecution, but few want to believe that it is still prevalent in the modern, post-Holocaust world.

However, the establishment of the state of Israel, a Jewish state, has seen the development of newly disguised anti-Semitism (meaning, in this case, being anti the Jewish people) which takes the form of political criticism of Israel.

www.indymedia.org.uk...

Great article. It sums up neatly my position against buys like Cold Anger and Jakomo.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Is it anti-semitic to criticize Israel? My answer is no.
The author of the article is twisting the facts to fit his beliefs.
Main Kampf a bestseller is middle east?? Oh, please *rolleyes* FYI, a lot of people there cant read or write, they dont have time to read Mein Kampf because they have to stand in line for 15-20 hours to get water or food, they have more existential problems. The main anti-jewish propaganda is coming from certain elements in ruling goverments of Israel neighbouring countries.

To say "oh, you only criticize Israel, what about other countries who commited more attrocities?!" is one rather idiotic argument in a discussion. If a subject is Israel and I talk about Israel that doesnt mean I dont talk about otehr countires. I do it in topics related to those other countries. Also some of the examples he wrote there are wrong. I quote:

Now ask yourself this: How can the lie that Israel massacred civilians in the Jenin refugee camp (of which Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International found no evidence), and Israel's handling of the second Intifada generally, have brought Israel more vilification than the perpetrators of the massacre of 8000 Palestinians in Jordan on one day in 1970; over a million Tutsis in 100 days in Rwanda in 1994; and 7000 Muslims by Bosnian Serbs in Srebrenica in a couple of hours in 1995?

Bosnian Serbs and Serbia were bombed, serbian president is currently in Hague's War Crimes Tribunal. They have seen their share of punishment and vilification.
Rwanda massacre will be dealt with in the similar way I hope and all countries have condemned those responsible for the massacre.

The anti-jewish propaganda he is talking about in Europe is exagarated. The neo-nazis have a new "enemy" in Europe, foreigners from 3rd world. They are being constantly harrased, beaten up by these neo-nazis. It is a huge problem in many european countries.

To criticize the action of Israeli goverment has nothing to do with being anti-semitic. It is simply a political criticizm, just like bitching about republicans in US, conservatives in Britain, Berlusconi and his folowers in Italy. Its politics. Period.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Well, i read it, some stuff does make sense, but generally most of the arabs have Semite genes and blood, anti-semite is not just anti-jew, is also anti-arab.
Second, the comparison with Israel and the Nazis is just simply because there is ethnic cleaning, and they are Ultra-Right wings, very extremists, to be able to be a citizen you must first convert to the judaism, is a "religious state" but not all the jews are agreeing with having a "jewish state" (due to the torah and what it says, and How the religion is created after exile).
Anyway the idea of israel did not come till 1900 when somebody wrote a book related with the "promised land" was what started to make people think about that little tiny place in the middle east for be the Promised Land from God to the jews.
Is the same that people claims that Palestine did not exists, Israel did not exist either, thanks to that book, people started to see it that clear, and start to believe that this place was The promised Land.

And the holocaust, is a long story, because it has been used TOO MUCH, play victimism for the rest of their history is not going to work.
Therefor they still got some people that defends Israel, because after the holocaust that is what was created, Zionism has a lot to do with this, and how many times, have we talked about the jews against Israel and even more jews against Zionists, they believe that Zionism is the enemy of Judaism, and Israel is controlled by Zionists from its creation...

Even jews are making such comments....
Anyway as i read this article i recommend you this one:

www.nogw.com...

Read it all and tell WHAT YOU THINK.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by CoLD aNGeR]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
"quote from the article"

"1. A small number of racist anti-semites who hate all jews, even those who oppose Zionism.

2. A very large and growing number of fair and rational persons who are apalled at the actions of the Israeli government, and feel empathy and respect for jews who agree. This includes (in my opinion) just about every educated and moral person who actually informs himself fully about what is going on in Palestine.

"anti-Semitic" implies "criticise Israel"
"criticise Israel" does NOT imply "anti-Semitic"

Because every lion has four legs, does it mean every four legged animal is a lion ? "

Is just a comment after the article, in the website you did post originally in this thread.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Criticism of a states governmental policies is not racist or religious persecution, Israel is a part of the world and must accept that every nations government comes under fire for policies. However, it would be fair to say that some may use it as such, these people are fairly obvious about it and easy to spot.

If this thread degenerates to name calling in anyway it will be dealt with appropriately

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by cassini]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft

It sums up neatly my position against buys like Cold Anger and Jakomo.

What does this tell you then?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When a country does genocide, in the name of all its citizens, as a citizen u have 2 choices,
1-Accept it, and say that your opinion was like the goverments opinion.
2-Not in my name, people that disagrees with the policy of their country, and they dont accept what they are doing.

Therefor if a country is controlled by evil people, it will do evil actions, but it doesnt mean that everybody in that country is evil as well.
Learn to make the difference

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Criticizing a government's policies is in no way anti-semitic, and whoever calls it that is just trying to deflect attention from the real issue.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Yep, sure is. Its anti Semetic to criticize Israel Just like its Anti American to oppose Bush and his police state.

Another tactic of the Zionist: anyone who disagrees with your slaughter of Palestinians or antagonizing the Arab world is an evil Jew hating turd.

Just like Bush and his "youre either with us or against us " mentality.

zed

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wow, I agree with Skadi for once. Because I hate the current American administration does that mean I hate my American friends?
I have Jewish American friends who critisize Israel. Does that make them anti-Semetic?

new topics

top topics

join