It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercinary Motives??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Good morning everyone, I was just wondering if anyone in history has had the balls to sign on their Masonic Petition that they were joining for mercinary motives? If they did what would be the consequences? Would they be directed strait to the invisible side or would their petition be wadded up and thrown in the trash? I asked a few masons and got a chuckle but no one has ever heard of it happening before. It must be on there for some reason.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have had two people who requested patitions for that reason over the years. But thanks to my lousey memory, somehow I just never seemed to remember to pick one up for them.

I also remember hearing one read in lodge as you described, but the vote did not pass.

Most of the brothers I've known over the years would not give a patition to someone who's motives were such. I will mention that I've known brothers who seem to be so motivated, and it did not work as they expected.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone would list mercenary motives on their application, but if someone has then surely they were not admitted. Not just because of the mercenary motives they had, but also for being idiot enough to admit it!

People DO join Freemasonry with mercenary motives. This is impossible to avoid, we can only do so much to investigate candidates. Fortunately, those who join with mercenary motives are soon disappointed and eventually just quit altogether. Freemasonry does not lend itself to be abused by members. One must put into it to get something out of it, and those who have joined with mercenary motives are usually not willing to work for this. Nor do they want what the Freemasonry truly has to offer.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
My personal opinion is that any candidate I propose reflects on me and my character, I would therefore never be the proposer on a petition for someone who had such motives.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
Good morning everyone, I was just wondering if anyone in history has had the balls to sign on their Masonic Petition that they were joining for mercinary motives? If they did what would be the consequences? Would they be directed strait to the invisible side or would their petition be wadded up and thrown in the trash?

It would be so invisible that the petitioner would never see the inside of a Lodge room. Anyone who stated such a thing on his petition would, of course, be disqualified from membership, and his fees would be returned to him.

The correct purpose for joining Freemasonry is only that from a love of knowledge and a desire to be helpful to one's fellow creatures. Any other purpose for joining is less than desirable.

top topics

join