It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hendrix, Allman, King Ranked as Top Guitarists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030825/en_nm/music_guitar_dc&printer=1

Hendrix, Allman, King Ranked as Top Guitarists

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late rock musicians Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman lead the list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone magazine.

Hendrix, who invariably tops such polls, received a glowing tribute from Who guitarist Pete Townshend, who wrote that he "made the electric guitar beautiful."

Townshend recalled that one of Hendrix's shows was "so profoundly powerful" that he found himself holding hands with fellow devotee and guitarist Eric Clapton.

Allman was hailed by the magazine for transforming "the poetry of jamming" with the Allman Brothers Band, the Atlanta rock group he founded with younger brother Gregg in 1969.

B.B. King, who turns 78 next month, came in at No. 3. "His string-bending and vibrato made his famous guitar, Lucille, weep like a woman," the magazine said.

Clapton landed at No. 4, followed by Delta bluesman Robert Johnson. Rounding out the top 10 were Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page, and Keith Richards.

The survey is featured in the next issue, which hits streets on Friday.

The No. 100 spot went to Kim Thayil of defunct Seattle rock band Soundgarden. Townshend himself was No. 50. Two women made the list: Joni Mitchell at No. 72 and Joan Jett at No. 87.

Stax session guitarist Steve Cropper, who was judged the No. 2 guitarist in a Mojo magazine survey in 1996, was good enough for only No. 36 in Rolling Stone's estimation. Two spots behind him was Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green, who had been No. 3 on the Mojo list.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hendrix is #1 in my book. Duane could be #2, but that's undecided, for me. BB King is definitely not #3, IMO, though. (and yes, I am a huge blues fan) Clapton can blow him away any day of the week.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Stevie Ray Vaughan was the best for my taste in guitar playing. I also like King, he added soul to the music and gave it a everyman sound.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I guess I can live with Jimi Hendrix being #1 since he was the ORIGINAL...

BUT Stevie Ray was UNBELEIVABLE LIVE! That's what counts to me... I have been a player for nearly 30 years now and LIVE is ALL that matters.

ANYBODY can sound good in the studio but live you have NO WHERE TO HIDE the rags...

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Graham Coxon from Blur is my personal fave guitarist, followed by Steve Malkmus from Pavement.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
SRV was a great guitarist (very Hendrixian), but not a very good song writer, IMO. That's not to say I don't like his style. I just didn't care for his writing talents as much.
BTW, no one sounds good live every time. Just because you saw him and it sounded great, doesn't mean it did every time. Hendrix had some tight shows too, for awhile. SRV also started coming apart at the seams toward the end of his addiction. The sad thing is, he was just trying to clean himself up when he died.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dude where do you live?! Stevie was EIGHT YEARS SOBER when he died... Hello?

I have PERSONALLY seen him over 30 times. I have seen him in his MOM'S garage when he was 19 and I have seen him in HUGE venues...

He was NEVER off EXCEPT when he was on too much. That being said he was SOBER his last 8 YEARS when he did his BEST work.

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
8yrs? No sh!t? I'd heard different, but I could be wrong. I'd heard he'd been struggling to get clean for like 6yrs, and was finally getting there. I think he was still partaking in occasional milder drugs. Coke was his demon.

Stevie had been sober for 3 years, 317 days and about 35 minutes at the time of his death.

But, we all know what "sober" means when you're a rock star. That just means he wasn't snorting coke like a vacuum cleaner anymore. They tend to exaggerate sobriety, when you're famous, IMO.

www.martinsmusic.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   

BTW, no one sounds good live every time.

If you have a portable studio sound system with a qualified engineer running the rig, it really only leaves guitarist error to ruin the sound.

I think that each guitarist has certain strengths and weaknesses, I always find it fun to dissect the leads!

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What ??...No Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads?

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by damefool]

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by damefool]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
santana.
all teh way.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by damefool
What ??...No Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wyile, Randy Rhoads?

They definitely deserve a high place in the guitarist hall of fame, IMO.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am surprised Dave Murray wasnt ranked!

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Why isn't Joe Satriani even mentioned?

You'd think he'd rate right up there with best of em.

A terrible state of affairs we have here ladies & gents.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Stevie ray Vaugh was NOT #1 !?!?!?

A further erosion of my faith in overall American Intelligence!

The man accounted for 90% of my concert going experiences...the last time being a beutiful summer evening @ the pier in NYC with Greg Allman opening.
I swear that man must have made guitar strings from heart muscle fibers!

SRV's version of Voodoo Child makes Jimmy's sound like the cover!

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
i think Tom Morello is the best guitar player of the new generation. no hate to ay of the other guitarists mentioned, handrix is one of my alltime favorites, but i do love clapton and paige...there are so many good players...

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
SRV's version of Voodoo Child makes Jimmy's sound like the cover!

I disagree. Hendrix had an underlying mysterious aspect that only people of a certain frame of mind could possibly hear or understand. He played with the very structure of sound in a way that still hasn't been touched by any guitarist, IMO. SRV knew this, and admired Hendrix very much for it. That's why he covered so many of Hendrix's songs. He loved Hendrix, and wanted to copy his sound as closely as he could. Even though, his style was quite different. It's like comparing apples to oranges. You don't play guitar, do you?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
[Edited on 27-8-2003 by arcana imperii]

new topics

top topics

join