It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you really believe we are alone ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I agree there is enough to share here and still so much to learn among our own species. BUT!

And that is a very big but. Do we? The answer is: No, we do not.

In a time in which it is perfectly normal for a youth to walk along with a mobile phone, slap an old lady, record the slapping, upload it somewhere on the internet and start a craze called "Happy Slapping"..in a time in which people still get beaten up due to their origin on THIS planet, their skin, eye, hair color..due to the brands of clothing they wear...in a time in which it is perfectly normal to show no respect for absolutely anything, a child rapist can get under a year in prison and a person that may have sold pot to consenting adults 10 years..

In a time like this, folks, we need aliens. We need them to remind us that we are one species. There are no differences. We are one species among many.

We have to grow up and until we either gain new friends or in the worst case a new enemy; either way it will remind us about ourselves and our heritage and that we should forget our pathetic bickering and foolish behaviour that would shame any one celled microbe, and act in a way we're capable of acting.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hang on fella, I understand what you're sayin' about this planet going to hell in a hand-cart, but whether we NEED aliens to steer us straight is another thing.

We created religeon to form discipline and that should have been enough.
Reasonably saying... we maynot be alone, but knowing the way that we're busy killin' each other, I 'd say that any intelligent life may by-pass us and wait until we grow up abit.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Overseer
:I think those who doubt the existence of life elsewhere than Earth are ignorant and fools.

That's exactly what I think.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronMan
We created religeon to form discipline and that should have been enough.
Reasonably saying... we maynot be alone, but knowing the way that we're busy killin' each other, I 'd say that any intelligent life may by-pass us and wait until we grow up abit.

Good point. It may well be that until we reach a reasonable stage of evolution and have "grown up a bit" there might not be any interest really - unless it has already happened and the public is simply kept in the dark about it, which is not reasy to proof and belongs to conspiracy theories etc.

But I would like to point something out. Religion is indeed a man made thing. However, I do not beieve in general the term "we created" can be applied, because in general speaking entire mankind does not need religion.

I've been brought up relatively religiously - however, my parents gave me the choice and didn't force me into anything. I'm christened and my dad was an active church council member until he had enough and left, because it was all a two-faced load of crap. Few weeks later he recieved a letter from the vicar's wife condemning hm and promising him that he is going to burn in hell... that was in the nineties ...

Religion was taken over by the church during the middle aged and transformed into an instrument of fear. Whoever did not agree with their pre-set doctrines and teachings was tortured and burned at the stake. That is precisely why I do not believe that religions as an instrument of discipline can "safe us", bring us out of our self-destructive ways, because we have used religion to destroy. Have you ever read about the inquisition? Have you seen these frescoes, the wood-carved images of these proceedings? When someone was tortured worse than you can imagine? As long as people in the name of god can do that to others there will be no way out.

And it's still happening. All these extremist groups that kidnap whoever and kill them in the name of whatever they believe in. No matter who they are.

Everyone believes in something, has faith in something and that's not wrong. Even believing in a god is not wrong. Why should it if it gives you peace, but I don't believe an institution like the christian church be it protestant or chatholic should have any say and guidance in all that. However, there are other churches/sects, too, that have similar problems. I've just been trying to give an example and the christian church is one of the biggest for centuries now.

The reason why I said that a possible (first) contact with an alien race should they be similarly advanced or just a load of insects would make a difference is, that I believe if we realize there is other life apart from on this planet we might get our heads around the fact that there is no need to fight each other, to kill each other for being different, because we are all the same kind. And beliefs, skin color or any other trivial things like these should not stand in the way of a peaceful co-existence.

Originally posted by ZengZicong

Originally posted by Overseer
:I think those who doubt the existence of life elsewhere than Earth are ignorant and fools.

That's exactly what I think.

Well, those who think that life on Earth is just a freak occurence should consider that freak occrences usually don't last that long - and the entire universe is a freak occurence if life like ours is. The amount of galaxies we know already with our limited resources, the amount of stars even in our own galaxy just simply make it impossible that we're the only ones.

[edit on 6/8/2005 by Overseer]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kungfubeats
It just might be possible that life here on earth is a freak occurence that has never happened anywhere else throughout the entire universe!!!

Yeah, and you might be the only human in your town!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
lol

Well, I wouldn't completely dismiss such a statement as b/s, but given the facts, even purely scientifically proven facts, it's very, very unliekly that life like ours is just a freak occurence.

Given the fact the just within relatively close proximity to our own star system, scientists have found several systems that show the characteristics of a life supporting setup.

Let me elaborate. The theory says, that if a star system contains a gas giant similar to our Jupiter it's likely the between this gas giant and the systems sun you will find a smaller planet that could likely have characteristics of Earth. Maybe warme or colder surface temperatures, maybe a different kind of atmosphere, maybe more land and less water or likewise. Irrelevant. Life doesn't have to be one hundred percent exactly similar developed.

To give a concrete example, a system around 10 light years away from Earth that shows such characteristics is Epsilon Eridani. [As a side note: In Star Trek Epsilon Eridani is the home system of the Vulcan race \\//] - but let's not get into fiction. - If you search this in Google you probably find a link that describes this discovery closer.

My point is that in such a vast amount of stars and star systems even in our own galaxy and the fact that extraterrestrial life doesn't necessarrily have to be planet based (ever thought about life forms that could exist simply in space, like some kind space cattle or space wild horses, roaming the stars rather the prairies?).

Anyway...just a thought.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's without any doubt that I believe life exists elsewhere. The universe is enormous if not endless. Some even theorise that the universe may be a bubble neighbouring to many other bubbles. Just imagine the possibilities
. Some inner parts of our universe are very old and I mean OLD. Those parts of the universe may contain extremely high advanced civilizations.

[edit on 2005/8/6 by bracke]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Has anyone ever calculated the chances of life spontaneously generating?

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the answer is yes.
Google on the "Drake Equation".

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Is 1 alone in the infinite? Omm.

The universe is infinite. And there are many who think that this is but one universe.

Death always reminds me of the infinite. Infinite dreamless sleep.

Death is kind of like the universe. Infinte, dark, and mysterious.

And pretty #ing funny too.

As the Hitchhiker's Guide says: "don't panic". We're all in the same boat. Too far away to ever meet in person and what the heck, it's all here anyway.

It reminds me of being a human. So many others just like me out there, and yet I feel special and unique. Because it doesn't matter. It's all here.

I think I saw this slogan on a Budweiser billboard.

And besides, we have the hottest babes, by far.

OMG these milky way chicks are dreamy!

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
No way are we alone, the great sea of awareness has many beings out there just waiting for a signal of "awareness".Picture sending out your light frequency out to other planes of existance and getting feedback.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Dunno, some of us have four people for every one, three of which support the one. Three of which do the one's dirty work. Exposure and expulsion is the only answer to relieve the frustration in moderation.

I know, Dallas isn't making sense, but not all read this that way.

Sorry garpg suppose it's been a long day but learned three things.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just look at Greek mythology. Who do you think the gods were? With there (QUOTE) "Flying Chariots of metle, that shot flaming sparks from the edges and hurtled into the lake, since that day sulfer has been in the area." and "His father told him he could not control the flying chariot"

:

As well as a Jesus based religeon, "And he came in his flying chariot to reclaim the (Place of the Jews?)"

Religeon places a large truth omong alian beings. It allso sais in the Bible that the Nephilum, or Gants were on Earth in those days (Goliath, the Oz King, and the Cyclops giant from Ulysies, or how you spell his name.

In the Sumarian religeon it is said (As well in the Aztec religeon) that there were "Anonoki that helped them to form there sociaty, and Anonoki were the same as 'Alians'.

There were allso lare bones and axes and hammers found accros the world, Asia, Affrica.

Religon in Alianology

Smells like a beach.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Gazrok: The Drake Equation was advised to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy and to allow scientists to determine the number of extraterrestrial civilizations and enable them to judge uncertainties in these estimations.

So that equation does not necessarrily express the "sudden and random creation of life" to put it that way.

--

Originally posted by AlienAntFarm
Is 1 alone in the infinite? Omm.

The universe is infinite. And there are many who think that this is but one universe.

Is the universe infinite? That's not necessarrily exact. We cannot one hundred percent be sure that it is. Most likely it is not and it's a closed environment just like a planet, however, so vast that we won't be able to grasp its boundaries.

I do, however, agree to the statement that many believe in several universes, or alternative realities, or dimenions or planes of existence whichever you wanna call it. These could exist parallel to ours, even within the same spot, just on a difference frequency which would explain why especially animals pick up on stuff we cannot see or why there are people which are commonly called psychics that do what they do.

Maybe watch "White Noise" or something

Death always reminds me of the infinite. Infinite dreamless sleep.

Death is kind of like the universe. Infinte, dark, and mysterious.

And pretty #ing funny too.

That also is not one hundred percent a fact. We are not sure what happens. It pretty much is a metaphysical topic nowadays and depends on your beliefs. Some believe there is nothing. Others believe in heaven. Others again believe they shift to a different plane of existence, the soul/spirit/essence/mind that is, and continue to exist in a different form of reality.

The universe's infinity I have discussed before, I don't believe in it, it's not dark in many places and well only partially mysterious.

As the Hitchhiker's Guide says: "don't panic". We're all in the same boat. Too far away to ever meet in person and what the heck, it's all here anyway.

It reminds me of being a human. So many others just like me out there, and yet I feel special and unique. Because it doesn't matter. It's all here.

I think I saw this slogan on a Budweiser billboard.

And besides, we have the hottest babes, by far.

OMG these milky way chicks are dreamy!

Who is to say that? There are studies that show only 10s of lightyears away from Earth that there are starsystems that could contain a life supporting planet. Whether or not possible aliens if they're human would be sexy by our standards is another matter, but if a beer advert is credible source of information I strongly doubt.

I appologize for ripping your comments apart, and if you meant all that with a pinch of salt so to speak then I might've gotten it wrong, but if not, I think a more serious approach would help a lot more...

[edit on 9/8/2005 by Overseer]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The Surrealist: I've said all along I'd rather believe that, to give an example, Moses has received his "table of commandments" by an Alien civilization that wanted to prevent us killing each other with simple rules, rather than from a "God" entity.

Maybe a bit far out, but it kind of makes sense, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think we are alone.

I cant see any evidence to support life elsewhere.
Sure there are theories - once there was a theory that the earth was flat .....
But there is not one shred of hard evidence to support life anywhere other than earth.

Of coarse there is the subject of UFOs - and that being the basis of many who believe that life "out there" must exist.
But there is just as much evidence to say that UFOs are man made craft.

Again no REAL hard evidence, just theories and heresay.

I for one will continue to believe we are alone until such a time that REAL proof can be shown otherwise.
And Im not talking about UFO's either - I've seen one, up close and personal.

Faking "so called" alien technology wouldn't be that hard to do - IF - that technology exists and has been suppressed.
Proof for me would be interstella travel between worlds.
It would be pretty hard to fake an entire planet/race.

Until then I remain a non-believer.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I can understand your scepticism regarding UFOs. At the end of the day the term UFO doesn't stand for "Alien Craft" ;P, but regardless of what theories may be about, can you really dismiss the probablity of other life forms? Even in the small percentage of the universe we already know about? I mean they found samples on Asteroids and it is pretty much proven that certain moons in our system have a thin atmosphere and even show traces of water.

The point is that many people make the mistake to look for life similar to ours. My understanding is that as long as life that is found somewhere in the galaxy does not originate from Earth it is enough evidence and it doesn't matter if it's an insect, a microbe, a bacteria or even a flower. Given the time frame we're talking about we're a fairly young civilization ourselves really.

Let's look for any other life before we start jumping the gun and expect to find another similarly advanced civilization.

I just simply cannot understand how you can close your mind to even the smallest of probabilities?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

insisted that everyone start calling him "TAFKAP"

Rofl I knew about the symbol but I didn't know that!

The proof that there is intelligent life out there is that none of it has tried to contact us.

That's a brilliant quote, I think it needs to go in my signature! To answer the question, of course, yes - the more interesting question is whether it is here or not, a question that is asked in almost every post on this forum.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kungfubeats
It just might be possible that life here on earth is a freak occurence that has never happened anywhere else throughout the entire universe!!!

Yeah, and you might be the only human in your town!

Couldnt agree more, anything is possible, i wait for evidence , seen none that shows we are not alone even tho i lean towards thinking we are not, i often wonder what the consequenses of disclosure would be though, i think a lot of people would be very frightened and dis-orientated at the thought. Maybe thats why we'll never get told.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yeah, that's possible. However, changes are necessarry. I believe we are at a point now where change has to happen. Too many old-fashioned institutions have had power for too long as far as I am concerned and I get sick of this lullaby-attitude of the governments/secret services.

If there has been contact and it is concealed from the public due to the fact that there is fear of the unknown the maybe it's time people think up ways to tell the majority of the public in a manner they can understand.

If there is nothing to fear, people will soon realize. And besides, like I said, the idea that there is another species apart from whatever exists on this planet might help to bring humanity closer together - unless that is something that is not wanted.

Blah. If I continue I'll end up in a conspiracy theory. So. GOTO :END

:END

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Personally, and in a nutshell, i do believe that there is other life in the universe, just because we humans cannot imagine or fathom how it would all be possible, doesn't mean to say it can't be possible. It is impossible to prove, and probably will be for years to come, but just go into yourself for a second and take an imaginary flight through the vast universe, and it may not be as hard to comphrehend.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join