It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you really believe we are alone ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
We live in a universe that by our ever increasing technology the boundaries are increasing, galaxies are being discovered everyday.
do the maths, the universe is made up of basic elements like hydrogen, carbon, oxygen etc. the probabity of a star being orbited by a planet that is capable of sustaining life as we know it is 1 in 10,000. let alone life as we don't know it.
Can we truly doubt that we are not alone???

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garpg
Can we truly doubt that we are not alone???

Evidently the answer is yes...Whether we agree with it or not.

There are lots of religious people on this earth, and lots of religions, not all accept the possibility that extra-terrestrial life exists and if you are a believer in one of those religions you are most probably not going to doubt it.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I believe we shouldn't doubt that we are not alone. I definately believe that alien life exists.

The question we have to ask is "in which form does it exist". The whereabouts are only secondary to me for the moment, because until we find a way to travel at least at the speed of light, or create a gateway of some sort, or evolve beyond our physical appearance, we won't be going anywhere really anyway.

There are many theories as to how alien life might exist. Many scientific documents and novels suggest bug-like aliens which makes sense as insects are far more able to withstand extreme environmental conditions. They might be bigger due to different gravity of the plant they inhabit, but it's a good probability.

Other theories suggest lifeforms that can even exist in space. Lifeforms maybe that are based on metal or other non-biological material. I mean you probably know about organic and an-organic life.

Then there is the interesting theory that also has been picked up by novels, television and science and that theory suggests that we are not native to this world, because in the timeline life pretty much "exploded" over night (over night is meant compared to the millions and billions of years since the scientifically known beignning of our reality). And sncientists do wonder whether life didn't start on Earth by means of maybe an asteroid impact that contained microbes of some kind or maybe an old civilisation planted their genetic material on this planet (theory actually discussed in a Star Trek episode - STNG 6x20 - The Chase) etc.

There are many theories, and yes, it is possible that somewhere life actually progressed faster than on Earth, maybe within a culture less violent and powerhungry than our own, maybe a culture more interested in exploration and knowledge than wealth and power and those could be Aliens actually visiting Earth, if you believe those things.

I'm not sure if I want to go into the topic of parallel dimensions that co-exist to our own and life there. Even though I understand the theories and ideas behind it's getting a bit off-topic I think. Maybe I'm wrong?

To state my personal opinion and comment on the religions issue: I think those who doubt the existence of life elsewhere than Earth are ignorant and fools. Religion unfortunately often offers only very static and single minded opinions and therefore you either are deeply religious and beleive in the teachings of your "church/god" or you're tolerant and open minded. That doesn't mean it's wrong to believe, but I believe it is important to carefully choose a balanced path between faith and science.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garpg
the probabity of a star being orbited by a planet that is capable of sustaining life as we know it is 1 in 10,000. let alone life as we don't know it. Can we truly doubt that we are not alone???

Has anyone ever calculated the chances of life spontaneously generating? I kinda think those numbers could outweigh the enormity of the entire universe. Keep in mind this is not some chemical reaction we're talking about. Carbon+water+light-radiation does not necessarilly = life.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Don't forget the Earth is flat AND also the center of the universe!

I just love dogma... whether religious or scientific!

Some of the children I work with, not burdened with 'logic', seem to see right thru all of the nonsense we seem to espouse as 'knowledge'...

My favorite, last week, looking at a series of planetary/astronomy books, was the child that asked how we could possibly detail the entire interior of the planets down to the core!

The child was outraged that scientists could proport to advance such a ridiculous notion...

I too am of the belief that 'evidently the answer is yes...'

But in answer to an entirely different question!

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yeah, we learn new things every day. When you look back on our history, we have advaced from being very ignorant on many issues. We're just now coming to terms with Extraterrestrial life. I talk to people all the time who say they believe in Extraterrestrial life, and are some of the last people I think would say that...

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I don't believe that life is restricted by the boundaries of the condition of our planet.

The chances with all the millions are stars in the known universe, I think there defenetly has to be life. I think life is one of those unstoppable things once it starts.

I think one day, our ancestors will look back and laugh at us thinking we are the only advanced civilization.

Vorta

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Oh sorry, I thought you said "Do you really believe that you are a clone". The thought has crossed my mind on several occassions. I think that it started playing around in my head when some one mentioned that Elvis Presley was one of a twin, and the the identical brother died at birth. When people tell that story, they always end it with "And what if his brother had lived?"

Elvis might have grown old, fat, and obscene, as a Pentecostal pastor, some where in the Deep South. He would have wildly denounced rock music from the pulpit. Sermons would be full of reminder s that he knew what he was talking about because he'd had a breif career as a rock singer in the 50's, before it fell through, and he took to preaching. Think 3rd rate Jimmy Swaggart! The Rev Elvis Arron Presley!

However it's far more likely that the world we live in today would be radically changed had Jerry Lee Lewis changed his name to "Jerry Lee"! Name is one of the most important assests to a performer, even more than image.

Now everybody things that image is the key to success. PR agents, and pro talent wranglers spend no small amount of time and money grooming and fine tuning a performers public image. Yet name seems to be genuinely more crucial. They brethern in the advertising agencies might have clued them in on the importance of brand name recognition.

For instance, would MAdonna have been the singer we know woth out the name that caught the public's imagination? What about Prince? When he changed his name to the "glyph", and insisted that everyone start calling him "TAFKAP", his career dried up. It didn't matter how talented or outrageous he was anymore.

David Lee Roth, durning his short lived post Van Halen career, briefly started wortking under the name David Roth. That was the end of him. I hear that he recently started work as a para medic. I smell a reality TV show in there somewhere!

Pamela Anderson has tinkered with her name in every way possible> She shot to fame as "Pamela Anderson". Then she switched, as Baywatch fans will receall, to Pamela D Anderson. Then Pamela Denise. Soon it was Pamela Lee. Finally Pamela Anderson Lee. By that time her hot streak had worn off. "When you're hot you're hot and..." is the old show biz adage.

So had Jerrry Lee Lewis performed as Jerry Lee, everything might be very different today. For one thing he might have become much more famous. With out thesubliminal cross reference to comedian Jerry Lewis, the singer's career would've gone up like a rocket. his hard edged rock a billie sound mihgt have helped stop the British Invasion. Imagine there's no Beatles, I wonder if you can? With no Fab4, the 60's as we know it would never have exsisted, and we'd be speaking commie russian today! I could be the alternate reality 'clone' version of my commie ruskie speaking other self!

So why look for mysteries among the stars, when there may be mysteries in places we never thought to look. There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in philosophy, and not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine.

If I've been rambling and long winded, please forgive me. I'm trying desperately to live up to my name Grand Court Jester

[edit on 31-7-2005 by GrandCourtJester]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
how could we not be alone. we are not the only life beings in the whole universe. do you know how many galaxys there are? we can't even get to Pluto. There has to be life beyond earth the universe is a very vast place.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It just might be possible that life here on earth is a freak occurence that has never happened anywhere else throughout the entire universe!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kungfubeats
It just might be possible that life here on earth is a freak occurence that has never happened anywhere else throughout the entire universe!!!

that's the safest answer, and until we get some solid proof of the second encounter.

im pretty sure there is other life out there but all i have is speculation and the evidence of other people's accounts whcih all can be 'debunked' but that's my stand.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
We are not alone.

Ask your local alien.

Ask!

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
At the moment were alone,i think that there must be other life in the Universe as its so vast. Nobody has seen an Alien on Fox or Sky , till we do i think were alone.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This is a seriously moot question. It doesn't matter if we believe were alone or not. What matters is finding out the answer.

We're doing that in every way we know how. I have 210 credits at Seti. I realize that isn't much, it's what I can do.

Personally, I do not believe we are alone. I look at the stars and i know that the creator is always with us, I know this because I feel the energy of those stars flowing thru my very being. I feel the power of the creator in every part of my soul. I am not alone, I have never been alone.

That said, it's time to go take my meds. The people around me get upset when I don't take my meds.....

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hello?

It's for you we really are alone boys and girls...

It's reality calling...

Take a real look at the world around you. Crank up that using your brain knob... Yeah, that's right! Crank it ALL THE WAY to the right...

Meditate with me brothers and sisters... Open up your minds. That emotional noise that passes for 'human thought' is fading... slowly fading...

Clear your minds. You are at peace with yourself... At peace with the world... At peace...

Ask for a guide.

Someone will be with you shortly...

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
aliens exist,thats it,case closed

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
mm,
I belive we are not alone, yes.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
Yeah, we learn new things every day. When you look back on our history, we have advaced from being very ignorant on many issues. We're just now coming to terms with Extraterrestrial life. I talk to people all the time who say they believe in Extraterrestrial life, and are some of the last people I think would say that...

hmmm yes true. I agree.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
With 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone and over 100 billion galaxies, it is naive to think that humans are the only intelligent life out there.

Bill Watterson said it best:

The proof that there is intelligent life out there is that none of it has tried to contact us.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No, we are not alone.

My concern is that I don't get thrown in with the majority of fools on this planet. Hey, Mr. Spaceman, I'm an individual! I had nothing to do with most of the evil crap you see played out on this planet. I'm against violence and evil and I love children, animals, old people, and I believe there is enough to share amongst us.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join