It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Scientific Voyage Discovers Arctic Depths Full Of Life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A team of scientists, led by the University of Alaska has discovered that the depths of the Arctic ocean are brimming with life. The team used remote controlled robot submarines and sonar to discover an unknown species of jellyfish and three kinds of Benthic Worms. Some species found by the scientific team are completely new to science.

www.abc.net.au
"Even at a depth of 3,000 metres we found animals on the sea floor, we found sea cucumbers ... and all kinds of jellyfish and crustaceans.

"Some of the species that we saw are completely new to science. They have not been described in any area of the earth so far."

The new species are a jellyfish and three kinds of benthic bristle worms.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The discoveries were made by the team from the USA, China, Canada and Russia, probing an isolated 3,800 metre basin off the arctic coast of canada, which is feared many species are at risk from global warming. The team spent 30 days on the US Icebreaker Healy and returned with thousands of specimans to examine.

Related News Links:
www.coml.org

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I love hearing things like this. There you have scientists "fishing around" at 3000 meters below the Arctic Ocean looking for the dreaded effects of global warming and what do they find? They find life and lots of it. They even find hitherto undiscovered species. The planet is robust.

[edit on 2005/7/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yeah this is good.

We spend millions of pounds/dollars sending space/probes/mission to planets etc looking for life and knowing theres feck all there in the first place, and why when we havent discovered what our own planet holds yet.

Good on them and i hope there will be more discoveries like this.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I always find it kinda funny when something like this happens. Scientists think there cant possibly be life someplace and what happens? They find life! Kinda funny we are talking about this under a site that goes by the motto of denying ignorance.

Its this kind of thing that also gives me hope that life will survive, maybe not neccesarily human life, in the event of some catastrophe on earth. I pretty sure, and maybe the scientist studying the area already know this, but life will adapt to global warming.

Again....great find.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Well since the only scientists who deny globalwarming are either talking outside their field or are on the exxon/repugnican payroll there really is not much to say about it except from what I have ben able to piece together, the earth does indeed go through rapid periods of warming and cooling but our human activities are escalating the process. If you really think about it, retooling our infrstructure to support alternative energy sources and to conserve what we have, it would create more jobs and boost the economy (like nobodies business) than denial and holding fast ever will. But myoptic politicans and obstructionist corporations will continue to block such efforts until they have no other choice and perhaps then too late. Unless we shatter the planet into a gazillion pieces life will continue to evolve and grow with or without us. GO SEA CUCUMBERS AT 3,000 METERS!!! I LOVE IT.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Nice to find different life forms. Life exists in places you wouldn't expect, so why not other planets?

Humans can survive if we decide to do so, and stop our destructive ways.

Troy

new topics

top topics

join