It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Frist Breaks With Bush on Stem-Cell Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has endorsed a bill that would fund research on human embryonic stem cells. this marks a break between the Senator and President Bush on the issue. Calling the issue not one of faith but that of science, the Senator, a 2008 presidential hopeful also has put himself at odds with the religious conservatives of the party.

news.yaho o.com
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist endorsed government-funded research on human embryonic stem cells Friday, breaking with President Bush and the religious conservatives he's been courting for a 2008 presidential bid. He drew praise from former first lady Nancy Reagan.

"It isn't just a matter of faith, it's a matter of science," Frist, a heart-lung transplant surgeon, said in a Senate speech. "The president's policy should be modified."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bush has threatened a Veto, but if Frist has thrown his support behind the measure, other Republican fence sitters may soon follow. I doubt that they could override a veto but you never know. This may the biggest piece of evidence yet that the power wielded by the religious conservatives reached its zenith with the Terri Schiavo debacle. The "pro life" groups are already beginning thier attacks.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is huge for Frist! I might actually think about supporting him for nomination in 2008.

Bush is way behind on stem-cell research. It could potentially lead to many cures for some of the worst illnesses including heart disease.

Mrs. Reagan is FOR stem cell research...!

Besides why should GOVERNMENT even being concerned about such matters? There is a division between church and state. We do NOT live in the united states of jesusland.

This should be a STATES RIGHTS issue!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Sorry kiddies, if I can be so glib, but President Bush just jumped the shark.

Or in political speak, he's now officially a "lame duck".

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
Sorry kiddies, if I can be so glib, but President Bush just jumped the shark.

Or in political speak, he's now officially a "lame duck".

I might have to agree with you there. His political capital is spent. But when his SS plan was derailed it was the begining.

But its more to power or preceived power. The whole debacle over Schiavo and the current "war" within the GOP between the moderates adn ultra right wing is shaking itself out.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Frist the Senate Majority Leader, has to split with Bushky at some pint as I believe he will run for President next election..he can't be approving everything President Bush does.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Frist is a loser. Hes just trying anything he can to get a leg-up on the other Republicans for the next presidential election, and playing off the recently popularized notion that only tax money can produce medical advances, despite the scientific improbability of this particular football ever yielding any.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Good for Frist, he's not a complete waste of breathable air at least. I have to wonder what the catch is though. He doesn't seem the type to change his mind...

If he thinks this will get him votes...well, he's probably right. But not from me. I'm not that easily swayed. I don't care if he cures cancer...as long as he still has the political viewpoints he has, I would rather eat my shoes than vote for him.

[edit on 7/29/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
its really pathetic watching an invertabrate try and stand up muchless try and grow a backbone

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
You anti-Frist people are making me sick. None of you have a clue
as to what he is all about. He is a GREAT humanitarian. His 'job'
is not being a politician, but being a public servant. There is a
difference. When he is off work from the senate, he goes to poor
countries, mostly in Africa, and donates his surgery services
without getting paid and without fanfare or publicity.
When people have become sick in the senate, he's there with
his doctor's black bag taking care of them, not caring what political
party they are with.

Frist is a WONDERFUL human being. It saddens me to think that
he is for using unborn children in research. However, I still think
he is the best candidate for 2008 for the Republicans. Even a
person with as good a soul as Frist makes mistakes, this is one
of them.

Oh, and I agree with the previous poster, BUSH is now a serious
lame duck.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Flyersfan you seem to mistake criticism of the politican with criticism of the person and they are not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. I have known plenty of absolutely lovely people who had appalling politics, something I have never been able to figure out, how could someone be nice yet have throughly vile political views. No matter how good Frist might be, the politics of the right which he is by his position a spokesman, are hypocritical, mean spirited and hateful, quick to screw the little man in favor of corporations and the wealthy. And when someone in his position, republican or democrat, tries to take a contrary stand for political gain only, I don't have much respect for them.

By the way embyros are not unborn children, they are a bundle of undifferentiated cells, having potential only, not life. I dispise loaded language...get your facts right.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Frist isn't for stem cell reasearch. Frist is for what "they" tell him to be for.
This is the old good cop bad cop ploy; trying to keep moderate Republicans in the fold.

If the big money however sides on stem cell reasearch; such as pharm.cos.
Watch President Bush lose the veto.

Don't sell the neocons short! They are brilliant manipulators of public opinion. Becides this little contrived spat keeps the sheeple off the really important subjects. Remember Iraq?

top topics

join