It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: DEA Arrests Canadian...In Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Who the heel knows how it can be legal - but suppose for now it is..
Additionally - money laundering is very ilegal and that may tie into US/Canada Customs and both Countries new policies concerning homeland security?

Other than those thoughts and after reading the media brief, I'd say no way. However, Vancouver's RCMP/VPD are very serious about drug interdiction.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It got my two votes...

Come on vote it up!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Posted by dallas: "However, Vancouver's RCMP/VPD are very serious about drug interdiction."

NO, they aren't. The laxest drug laws in the country. They don't bust people for a personal stash. Haven't in over 20 years. I know, I lived there.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is not the first, second or even the thrid time he has been detained/arrested/charged for trading in marijuana.

The key to the raid was the money laundering; read tax evasion, and not necessarily the trade in marijuana, unless it is found that he in fact was illegally soliciting and trafficking outside of Canada to sovereign states with which Canada holds a trade agreement.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Your not the only one who lived there Intrepid..

Dallas

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Wow, this got upgraded. At any rate, I have to agree with Intrepid. The VPD is extremely lax concerning certain drugs (RE-pot), but that's mostly because Vancouver has severe drug problems. I mean, why bother with a kid's dimebag? They have rockheads and heroin addicts to worry about.

DE

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Watched an interview on this story on Global, one of the people interviewed stated that the main thing the DEA was after was his mailing list. Which is quite long apparently 100,000's people. The DEA should have no jurisdiction in Canada, but apparently they got their way in this case(hopefully the last). Wonder how many raids the DEA will be doing now?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
When will Americans grow up about pot. It is a flower - like a daisy, or a rose. Yes it has chemical effects that are enjoyable for many (Not all) people, much like chocolate does for women. This is so sad and pety it just makes those that agree with it appear very small minded, and easily controled. The problem is that it is useful in it's natural state. Therefor no "processing" needed, no patented approved cornering of the market, there for if no one can "own" it, no one will have it. Besides, the peacful and amicable feelings this produces wouldn't be good for the war machine...

Sad, pety and small..

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Mayhap's a point was missed here? Canada has extradition laws and for my couple of cents the US cannot lay charges directly through the Canadian Gov.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Watched an interview on this story on Global, one of the people interviewed stated that the main thing the DEA was after was his mailing list. Which is quite long apparently 100,000's people. The DEA should have no jurisdiction in Canada, but apparently they got their way in this case(hopefully the last). Wonder how many raids the DEA will be doing now?

Yeah, that's the big thing though- this is going to really mess up the day of a lot of American dope growers. I don't feel bad for them, but okay.

As for arguments to decriminalization, remember where the money goes. The plant isn't the issue, it's the dollar cost associated with it. That,and the people who are actually growing it. LIke Bikers.

DE

[edit on 29-7-2005 by DeusEx]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The title of this thread is false. The source article's title is correct: "Vancouver police raid pot business."
Marc Emery was arrested by RCMP and the Halifax Police on a warrant issued in Washington State. The subject was arrested on charges of selling an illegal substance, in person, in the United States. Pot heads might not like it, but there is nothing unusual about this arrest. The title of the thread should be changed because it is inaccurate and sensationalistic and the allegation is insulting and incendiary.

Originally posted by DeusEx

I am confused. This guy was selling pot seeds online. Why did BC police only act when prodded by the Americans? I am disappointed in VPD, but I have suspicions that due to Emery's status as 'folk hero' and 'politician', they feared the backlash from his many customers and stoned well-wishers.

These questions can be answered by clicking these links in the source link.

canada.com

[edit on 2005/7/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Regarding the Vancouver attitude on pot....

I live have been living here for around 15 years. We do have a fairly high tolerance for the weed, police wise. Our mayor wants it legalized so we can tax the crap out of it and reduce the profits for the gangs. I think they want to set it up like the Liquor Distribution Boards.

He went so far as to tell the VPD to leave the pot smokers alone and concentrate on the real crimes occuring here. They bust grow ops, but that's about it.

A little story to illustrate my point:

I have a stupid friend that I will call Bob. Bob was at a local tavern one night, enjoying a beer. He struck up a conversation with two fellows from out of town. They seemed nice and after a few beers, he invited them to the alley for a 'smoke'.

The three of them went out back, and when Bob lit his 'smoke', he was grabbed, thrown against a wall and handcuffed. By Seattle police officers. The Seattle guys called the VPD, but when the VPD showed up, they let my friend go and apologized to him. The Seattle guys were told to mind their own business and if they wanted to bust people, they should go home and leave our citizens alone.

Good lord, we have safe injection sites for heroin (which are working out quite nicely), our police aren't overly worried about pot smokers.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
A couple of things I'd like to know. Where do you live (major intersections).
What happened with Seattle USA Police for making a false arrest?

Dallas

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I'm not buying this story for one second. Seattle cops have no jurisdiction outside the US and could be prosecuted for attempting to exercise police powers outside their jurisdiction. Even their powers of citizen's arrest would be invalid in a foreign country. I would find it hard to believe that a couple of "big city" cops could be so stupid or that Canadian police would be so forgiving.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
[The subject was arrested on charges of selling an illegal substance, in person, in the United States.

Maybe we are interpreting this differently but the impression I received from the news videos (different station, same crap) was that because he was shipping seeds to the US, he was dealing drugs in the US. Marc Emery is far to intelligent to traffic, in person, across the border. I know this, I've met him.

He has something like 11 convictions, he wouldn't even be allowed to cross the border. And if he was by some freak accident let in the US, US Customs would certainly have some explaining to do, wouldn't they?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Watch the DEA news conference. That tells the details of the warrant.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Dallas

I used to be on Davie and Jervis, then mostly in East Van (cheaper rent and all) in the 49 & Victoria area. I still work on W Georgia and Jervis though.

GradyPhilpott

The name of the pub was the Jolly Alderman, at Cambie and 12th. The VPD doesn't have time for this crap, the Seattle cops were miffed to say the least, and quite frankly, I don't like being called a liar.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Watch the DEA news conference. That tells the details of the warrant.

I've seen it. Four times. Live on TV.

PS. sorry Dallas, I missed a question. The Seatlle guys were told to P-off, the VPD didn't want to do paperwork and 'Bob' certainly didn't want to press charges.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Thanks for that. But what about the reprocussions to Seattle Police for making a false arrest (in Canada)?

Oh, I know Broadway & Granville; Commercial and 10th Ave; Burrard and Davie - well.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Technically, they didn't place him under arrest. They thought they were doing the police a favour by detaining him, and calling the VPD.

The VPD informed them that their assistance was not wanted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join