It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush to Appoint Bolton on Recess

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Senior officials have indicated that President Bush is set to appoint John Bolton as ambassador to the U.N. once congress leaves on its recess. The President is allowed under the constitution to make such an appointment on a temporary basis till congress return. If installed, Bolton would be the temporary ambassador until the next congressional session in January 2007.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush intends to announce next week that he is going around Congress to install embattled nominee John Bolton as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, senior administration officials said Friday.

Bush has the power to fill vacancies without Senate approval while Congress is in recess. Under the Constitution, a recess appointment during the lawmakers' August break would last until the next session of Congress, which begins in January 2007.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting ploy and would Bolton once in place really get the kind of scrutiny that he is getting now? I doubt it. on the other hand as the article points out, this end around could make the nomination of Roberts to the Supreme Court a bit more difficult. Its really time to cut the losses on Bolton and move on. Even if he was to be confirmed, hes damaged goods.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I just cant understand why this administration is so keen on installing an ambassador that nobody wants to work with. I have to think more about that...

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I disagree that Bush should back down on this. The only "ploy" here has been Democratic obstruction using the filibuster, a somewhat shady practice that is certainly not protected by the Constitution. Bolton clearly has majority support in the Senate.

In contrast, the power to make a recess appointment is clearly granted to the President by the Constitution:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

U.S. Constitution

I think Bush is wise to never surrender to a whining Democratic minority.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well, the Democrat "Minority" must have had some republican support, seeing as how Bush had to over rule and appoint Bolton anyway.

Not sure why they bothered to debate/vote the point when Bush was gonna do as he wanted anyway.

It really doesn't make any odds, as reforms will take place and are long overdue, but it's highly unlikely Bolton is gonna be effective if he takes the stance he's renouned for, he has to convince 190 countries, he might find he'll have to start engaging his brain before opening his mouth.

top topics

join