It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Agrees on Calendar for Roberts Confirmation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Democrats agreed to a calendar that would grant a Judicial Committee vote for the confirmation of Judge Roberts to the Supreme Court around September 15, according to a FOX source. If an agreement hadn't have been reached, Senators may have had to cut their vacations short to return to session early for hearings:

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Friday formally sent to the Senate the nomination of John Roberts for the Supreme Court, while officials said the Senate Judiciary Committee will begin confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee John Roberts on Sept. 6.

A committee vote is expected Sept. 15, according to a Senate calendar obtained by FOX News. Full Senate floor debate is scheduled to begin by Sept. 26 at the latest. Sept. 29 is the last business day before the Supreme Court convenes for its new term on Oct. 3. The White House and Senate Republicans have demanded the new justice be in place by that time.

The Judiciary Committee chairman, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., was scheduled to hold a press conference Friday afternoon to announce the dates. Specter has indicated in the past that he could begin the hearings by Aug. 29 but many lawmakers said they had vacation plans and didn't want to cut the recess short.

FOX

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If an agreement hadn't have been reached, Senators may have had to cut their vacations short to return to session early for hearings

Gee, that would've been sad.

I'm really looking forward to his confirmation. I was reading the article about gay rights, the solomon act, and Roberts in the latest New Yorker, and not only was the case the author made a very good one, but it did a good job of portraying Roberts like someone you'd want on the court very badly.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
I was reading the article about gay rights, the solomon act, and Roberts in the latest New Yorker, and not only was the case the author made a very good one, but it did a good job of portraying Roberts like someone you'd want on the court very badly.

I don't care what the talking heads and media pundits are saying about Roberts, I think they could've done a lot better. For Bush, he's a great pick. Roberts supports greater presidential powers, which is not supported by the Constitution and he supports the BushCo./Gonzales view that torture is just fine, even if that means trashing the Geneva Conventions. I would NEVER vote for anyone who supports such fascist views.

join