It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome Aboard! The true "coalition" fighting in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
New dispatch from Michael Yon.

We have troops fighting in Iraq that rent even US citizens yet!! Now thats patriotism. I hope some of you folks realize how important it is to enjoy our freedoms, as there are people out there who are fighting for them who arent even American citizens yet.

Makes you think hard about what other people do to make sure we are all comfortable at home with our families and free.

Freedom isnt free, and never forget the ones who payed for yours!

Mosul, Iraq

"Across Iraq, I keep running across American troops who are not Americans. Many of these soldiers and Marines are working towards attaining U.S. citizenship while in uniform, under fire, in Iraq.

I was privileged to witness the award ceremony for 12 new American citizens in Deuce Four recently. I hope America makes them feel welcome. If the folks at home could see what these people are doing in Iraq, they would make these special troops feel as honored guests. But now, better yet, they are honored citizens, giving life to the concept of active citizenship...."

These guys are what America is all about. Give 'em hell and come HOME safe!

[edit on 29-7-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Indeed, these people are demonstrating that they are more than just interested in becoming citizens. I'd say that upon enlistment that they shoulld automatically be made citizens!
Or, we could make citizenship for everyone dependant on military service.

Hail President Heinlin!
external image

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
They do get fast-tracked citizenship:

In 2004, President Bush signed an order allowing all active-duty immigrants serving as of Sept. 11, 2001, to apply for U.S. citizenship without waiting the usual three years, and without having to apply within the U.S.. Now, immigrants serving in the army, navy, marine corps, air force, coast guard, parts of the national guard and Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve may be eligible to apply for citizenship if they can 1) Demonstrate good moral character/have no criminal record, 2) can speak English, 3) can demonstrate knowledge of U.S. government and history, and take an oath of allegiance to the U.S. Constitution. The applicant must also have served honorably during one year of conflict, have a green card, or have been present in the U.S. at time of enlistment. The application must be filed within six months of discharge.

About.com

join