It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some help: building an inexpensive gaming system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ok, I've been trying my best to find parts all over the internet to meet my budget of $500 and still have a decent gaming system, but it's just too hard because I always have to let go of a little bit of harddrive space or downgrade the processor a little more. Or get a cheaper video card and drop the headphones.

So far I've got a mobo and Athlon 64 3200 for around $195.

Can anybody offer some websites or perhaps parts in general that are very cheap?

[edit on 7/29/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
You can try either...

NewEgg.com (my top choice)

or

Tiger Direct.com (second choice)

Those are two sites I have bought some stuff from and both are dependable and the prices aren't so bad.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
DD,

As someone that battled this issue many times, I found a different solution. Console gaming. You could spend $500 on a PC or you could spend that same amout on an X-Box and a PS2 and still have some coin for a few games.

Many games these days come on all three platforms and all have internet play capability. Consoles have easy connect, easy headset ablilty and a set controller. I have never had a game crash or not work. I have never worried will my video card be good enough or is my processor up to snuff? Can I return this game if it doesn't work?

I grant you, PC gaming can be a superior experience with more options and the like, but when you look at the full picture...I have found it's not worth the expense. For the money spent on your "catching up" I will have every hot title out.

My 2 cents...

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I repeat YOU WONT be able to build a Decent gaming Desktop for $500. It's just NOT gonna happen. A decent Gaming desktop will set you back anywhere from $1000 - $2000 at least. If I were you I would save up to at least a $1000 and then consider building one otherwise stick to consoles.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
.....but this is the best I could come up with for $500. Oh BTW Im an expert in gaming systems since Ive been building them for a couple of years now. So here is what I came up with for $500.

1) MSI K8N NEO3-F Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

2) 2 of these pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD4412UOE - Retail

3) Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

4) AMD Sempron 3000+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model SDA3000BABOX - Retail

5) HIS Hightech P80N4H Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

- UPDATE - I added a nice Case with 420W PSU, CDRW/DVD Combo Optical Drive, Logitech Mouse and Keyboard (Great for Gaming), Case Fans (proper Cooling), and there you go! Full System. All you need is a Monitor and your're all set!

6)
Logitech Value 953817-0403 Black 3 Buttons 1x Wheel PS/2 Optical Mouse - OEM

7) Logitech 967502-0403 Black PS/2 Wired Standard Value Keyboard - OEM

8) ASPIRE X-Gear ATXB5KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

9) 4 of these Rosewill RFA80-K 80mm Sleeve Case Cooling Fan - Retail

ALL FOR (Drum Roll) $560.65!!!!

There you go dude! Complete entry Level Gaming system for less than $600. You still need to calculate shipping but it shouldnt be much.

Goddam Im good.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Ocelot]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
.....but this is the best I could come up with for $500. Oh BTW Im an expert in gaming systems since Ive been building them for a couple of years now. So here is what I came up with for $500.

1) MSI K8N NEO3-F Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

2) 2 of these pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD4412UOE - Retail

3) Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

4) AMD Sempron 3000+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model SDA3000BABOX - Retail

5) HIS Hightech P80N4H Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$474.50 Total

Keep in my mind you still need a Case, A power supply unit (400W+) and Optical drives. There you go I'd say the above would make a good entry level system and you'll be able to play all the games available now and a bit into the future. If you want to spend a little more and go for an AMD 939 64bit setup then it would be great.

Goddam Im good.

Ocelot you are my hero! I've been trying all morning to find a good mobo, cpu, and video card setup and i found nothing.

On Pricewatch.com I found a really nice case w/ power supply for about $30 so I'm barly breaking the surface of my budget. But I still need a cd drive, and keyboard and a mouse, so I guess it'll just wait a little tiny bit longer for me to scrape up some extra money.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Ocelot you are my hero! I've been trying all morning to find a good mobo, cpu, and video card setup and i found nothing.

On Pricewatch.com I found a really nice case w/ power supply for about $30 so I'm barly breaking the surface of my budget. But I still need a cd drive, and keyboard and a mouse, so I guess it'll just wait a little tiny bit longer for me to scrape up some extra money.

Ok I UPDATED my Original config and added the stuff you were missing. Take a look.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
OOPS! Forgot to add the link for the CDRW drive.

Here its is It's a CDRW/DVD Combo Drive.

Update TOSHIBA Black IDE Combo Drive Model SD-R1612B - OEM

There ya go dude thats everything

top topics

join