It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Reporter Vows To 'Kill Herself' If Cheney Runs For President

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
'All we need is one more liar' she said, after veteran wire reporter Helen Thomas vowed to 'kill herself' if Cheney would run for president. She also noted that 'it would be a sad day for the country if he does'.

worldnetdaily.com
The Hill's "Under the Dome" column noted that Cheney is a "serious darkhorse" candidate in 2008 according to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward.

Thomas, a syndicated columnist for Hearst Newspapers, has covered the White House since the Kennedy administration.

In a May column, she wrote that Cheney "certainly could campaign on the theme that he has had experience in running the White House."

In the piece, Thomas said President Bush's not being notified of a terror scare caused by an off-course light airplane "again raises the question of who's running the show."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, I was shocked to read this, personally I'm not a big fan of Cheney, nor the Bush administration, but itsn't this a bit exaggerated? This is something a columnist, or activist would say, not a reporter. Don't reporters have ethics? She probably never heard of that.

I'm not a big fan of left-wing news channels, or right-wing channels, it is getting increasingly difficult to find good, solid independent news, its really sad.

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com
www.pardonmyenglish.com

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
What a crock of crap. Maybe Cheney should just facetiously vow to run so we can be rid of what is an apparently emotionally distraught and hysterical member of the media.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I got a few no-votes for this article, so it probably wont be upgraded. I didnt want to make a political statement with this article, but rather a look on the current state on the media. I think from that point of view this is quite suitable article for ATSNN...

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Well, I voted yes ZM - I believe this is newsworthy because it shows how some members of the media can just really come un-glued some times. I didn't see your write-up as an attempt to make a political statement at all. But I do see Thomas's actions to be just that - and that's why it needs to be covered!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm with Ms. Hall on this one.........let Helen off herself..............

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
She wouldn't do it. She's a legend in her own mind.

Roper

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hey I voted yes also don't worry it will make it and like others I doubt she would kill herself.

I think she is the most ignored/unanswered reporter that ever covered the White House news anyhow

And let us not forget her questions are perhaps the dumbest ever

Does not surpirse me she would make a remark like that sounds like she is looking for attention, she sure never gets it at the white house.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Well first off, she's no longer a reporter, but an editorial columnist. Hence, what she writes is not objective news bits, but, her own opinions.

She spent more than 50 years as a UPI correspondent, but no longer works for the wire service. She now works for the Houston Chronicle as a columnist. This makes her an opinion giver, not a news gatherer and reporter.

As to why she's still in the press corp, it's because she has had a long successful career and is very respected.

From Wikipedia:

(She's) dean of the White House press corps. She was White House Bureau Chief for United Press International (UPI), where she was employed for 57 years until resigning in 2000 when UPI was acquired by News World Communications. News World is the owner of The Washington Times; Thomas claimed she resigned because of News World's ties to Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church. Thomas then became a White House correspondent and King Features Syndicate columnist.

In 2003, President George W. Bush stopped the tradition of allowing Thomas to end Presidential news conferences by saying “Thank you, Mr. President.” Additionally, she has been moved from the first chair of the front row of the conference room to the back, and is rarely called upon in press conferences. Bush is thought to have instituted these changes after taking exception with some of Thomas' writings regarding his presidency.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Jadette]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
C'mon! Cheyney can't ber president anyway. He's got a bad ticker and shouldn't even be the Veep. The powers-that-be wouldn't allow.....oh wait, he is the power that be's......

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Jadette, thanks for that post. Very informative, keep up the good work!

While I agree that reporters have to be unbiased, columnists definately do not.

She obviously knows the White House scene like the back of her hand. 50+ years of press corp employment means a hell of a lot. Her opinion isnt holy writ but it should be taken very seriously, even with the melodramatics.

[edit on 29/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well I'd certainly hate to see Bush replaced by Dick, but I'd like to see him run just to find out if this is just another case of self-important morons letting their mouths write checks that their bodies will never cash.

I'm still waiting to see several prominent Americans leave the country over the election of George W. Bush.

Frankly I think she's just making a tongue-in-cheek attempt to bribe the Republicans into nominating somebody who can't win. Sorta like if Rush Limbaugh said that he'd kill himself if the Democrats nominated Jane Fonda.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And if "AHRNOLD" Runs for President I VOW not to Eat any more "APFELSTRUDEL" IN MY LIFE!

But it would Sound Nice:

"President DICK - we are Under Attack!"

"I can't do it DICK - I'm a CIA Analyst, not a Magician!"

[edit on 29/7/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
ROFL- I wonder if another one of the governator's opponents would try the old "if you can't pronounce the name, you shouldn't be allowed to govern it" flame. That was pretty hillarious coming from the party that insists on providing every imaginable government form, as well as education, in Spanish instead of just making them learn English.

I can hear it already. "I vish the kongress would ammend the con-stit-uSHUN so that I could run for preZI-dent of Ahmedika." Oh boy, the sound bytes would fly.

Edit to be slightly on topic: Am I the only one who thinks that Dick Cheney running for president would be a HUGE mistake? The Republicans need a serious dark horse who can pretend to be moderate- and I don't mean the sort who is sometimes accused of being a psuedo-republican like McCain, who might stab them in the back when public opinion leans on him too heavily.

Although I don't consider them likely nominees, I think Newt Gingrich, Pete Wilson, and George Pataki would all make interesting dark horses- especially Gingrich. I suspect almost any of them could fare better than more ominous republican figures such as Tom "The Hammer".

Of course, I doubt they'll go that route- as I said they are interesting but unlikely. I think Jeb Bush is possible, although the name alone could be too much of a gamble. Dennis Hastert is just a tool for the Republican leadership and keeps a lower profile, so I suspect he may be the man- quite possibly with Delay as his VP or somewhere prominent in his cabinet.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Helen Thomas is not a real reporter. She's a sometimes-editorial-
columnist. AND she's a well known wing nut. She's so far to the
radical left that she makes Ted Kennedy look conservative. I heard
an interview with some reporters, they all said that she's like the
batty old aunt that everyone has at family picnics. Everyone tries
to be polite and they ignore what ever she says.

She's a kook.

That, and Cheney IS NOT going to run. So unfortunately it looks like
we may have Helen THomas around for a while longer.

It USED to be tradition that Helen Thomas always got the first question
at every press conference. G.W. broke that tradition and started
giving the time for the REAL reporters to ask questions. This of course
miffed Helen even more against the right ....

Ever hear her 'questions'???? Poor old lady needs to retire!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Helen Thomas has been around forever. She's seen and knows more about the inner workings of government than the vast majority of us combined. Despite the hystrioinics in her statement I woulodn't just laugh it off. Helen has been an extremely respected member of the Whitehouse press corps. Notwithstanding the obvious over-the-top dramatics in her statement the pint is very, very clear.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Some people are just silly. I am devoting my life to the next 4 years to get Cheney elected and put the crazy women on the spot. She needs to take a course on constructive criticism. There are much better ways to say you don’t like a person. She and Robert Redford need to hookup. We will call them the all talk and no show couple. Hell maybe we would all be so lucky to see them both pack up and get out of the country. I can’t rip on Redford anymore he is a great actor.

Vagabond I think you would be with me on this one that if we had a Cheney for 2008 campaign and then the night after elections when Cheney wins we have the Ultimate pay pre view event and Helen Thomas can be the main event.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub
Vagabond I think you would be with me on this one that if we had a Cheney for 2008 campaign and then the night after elections when Cheney wins we have the Ultimate pay pre view event and Helen Thomas can be the main event.

Actually, this would only be a close second for the ultimate pay-per-view event. I think the ultimate would be a fight to the death between Arnold and Jesse Ventura. Maybe we can do both on the same night. rofl.

BTW, I edited by earlier post to say something a bit more relevant. I hope it doesn't get lost behind the recent replies. I really don't see Cheney happening, but I have my own theories.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Uh load up the chambers there Helen.......I got news for you...

..they are all liars..

You should know that.........you've been coving this stuff since Madison was inaugurated.........

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am no fan of the Bush administration either. Someone needs to tell her if she slits her wrists to be sure to slice up and down instead of sideways, that way she is sure to bleed out.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Poor gal...

I sense a replay of the Reagon/Bush years...
where Bush Sr, was the real player behind the power for 12 years... (not just 4)

Cheney would probably get it... and America would find Haliburton doing everything from school cafeteria food contracts to construction...
and of course, all exclusive "no bid" style contracts as usual....

well, I guess it wouldn't be that different afterall..

I personally hope they put up Condi... I would vote for her...

Condi vs Hillary... No question... Condi ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join