It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topic for final round of debate tournament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I hope that I am not stepping on the toes of Nygdan and Amorymeltzer, who are doing a wonderful job of bringing our debate forum back to life, but I thought it might be nice to see what the audience wants for the final round.

I for one think that we need a broad, open topic which leans more to the philosophical than the factual, allowing our finalists, who have done an outstanding job to reach that final round, to put on the best possible show of their persuasive abilities.

My friend TheLibra has made it pretty clear that to a skilled debator, the truth is not an insurmountable obstacle
, but there is more to this question than just the fairness of a debate. The debate can be far more interesting when a topic is so broad that a fighter has a wide selection of approaches at his disposal, and can select an argument which best suits his strengths and style.

Among the topics I would like to see debated are philosophical questions such as the following:
"There is no such thing as 'good' or 'evil'."
"Intellect is superior to physical strength."
"Humans are superior to animals."
"If there is a God, there is likely more than just one."
etc etc.

I wondered if anyone else had an opinion on what the qualities of the next topic should be, or perhaps what specific topic they would like to see.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You, or anyone, can, as always, contact us with suggested topics of debate, and, if you must, feel free to discuss them on the Commentary thread. I will say, however, that a very broad topic is often not a good thing as it becomes a much larger debate than the given scope, and there start to be too many factors to take into account.

join