It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: DNA Proves Yukon Sasquatch Hair a Hoax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The DNA results from hair that witnesses claimed had been left by a bigfoot-type creature in Canada's Yukon Territory show that the sample actually came from a long-dead bison. Because of the degredation of DNA in the sample, the hair couldn't have been deposited by a live animal recently and probably came from stuffed animal.

www.cbc.ca
A tuft of hair found near a purported sasquatch sighting in the Yukon actually came from a bison, says the Alberta scientist who tested the sample.

A wildlife geneticist at the University of Alberta, David Coltman, said on Thursday that the hair produced a "100 per cent" match with known DNA sequences for bison.

"It also bore little similarity to other groups of mammals such as primates or carnivores," said Coltman, who did the tests with a colleague at the university in Edmonton.
Coltman said the hair not only came from a bison but was from a long-dead animal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really comes as no surprise, still it's a bit disappointing. Even though this was a fake, perhaps bigfoot is still lurking out there somewhere waiting to be found...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Thread:
Sasquatch sighting reported in Yukon!! DNA test awaited!!

[edit on 7/28/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Dunno but seems to me all DNA tests of such possible new species should include tests at two or more independent DNA test laboratories.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The University of Alberta is a perfectly independant organization that is completely competent to do such a test.

Rather than suggest that they're possibly corrupted by 'the system', I'd have to say that it'd be better for the cryptozoological community to go after the people who presented the hairs and follow up on the evidence that strongly suggests that they are frauds. Surely there are legal actions that can be taken against people who perpetrate such frauds, waste university resources, defraud newspapers and entire groups of people, and damage the reputation of a science and a community.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Exactly Nygdan!

Things like this hurt our community. The more hoaxes like this occur, the less likely reputable scientists and scientific organizations will be willing to even get involved with stuff like this...the boy who cried wolf syndrome. Then when someone actually does find a bigfoot hair, no one would even look at it.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Dunno but seems to me all DNA tests of such possible new species should include tests at two or more independent DNA test laboratories.
I tend to agree with you. I'm sure that the University was careful and thorough, BUT, with something this controversial, there should have been at least two tests. Double Independant tests would eliminate folks from crying "Cover-up".
Are there many bison in that part of Canada? The map in the article showed the location of Whitehorse and Teslin, but I was under the assumption that the region is mountainous and Bison are more a Plains animal.
I guess the article DID say that the bison hair Could have been tanned, though. If the hair was from a "long dead animal" or had been "tanned", aren't there tests to show which? Will any of those tests be done?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I was reading up on this this morning, and one thing caught my eye. The statement that the hair was probably "old".

Makes me think that the witnesses were mostly correct in what they saw...they've been scammed. Someone running around in a bison fur costume, maybe on some sort of stilts (like the drywall and ceiling guys use) and messing with the population. Honest folk fooled, and now getting derision by all the "sophisitcated" folks reading the story and laughing at simpletons being fooled by a buffalo.

They'll eventually find some guy who was doing this to mess with people, or to get Media attention. Anything for coverage and fame, even if it disgraces or embarasses other folks.

new topics

join