It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Texas Minuteman Head Resigns Over Alleged Racism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Bill Parmley, one of the founding members of the Texas Minuteman Civil Defense Corp has resigned because of what he believes is rampant racism among the Minuteman members in Goliad, Texas. He cites inappropriate use of racial slurs, threats to use violence against illegals, and a campaign to undermine the County Sheriff, who is Hispanic, as reasons for leaving the organization. Other members of the project believe that Parmley's resignation will not affect their efforts in South Texas.

www.chron.com
Parmley said he has become concerned that some of the Minuteman activists in his region have a vendetta against the Goliad County sheriff, who is Hispanic.

He asserted they also have made comments about shooting illegal immigrants or letting them die from dehydration.

That's their mind-set, and I don't want my name and my reputation associated with a group of people who are racist like that," he said."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the article speaks for itself, therefore I don't have much of a comment. I just think that this issue needs to be put out there and addressed. Prior to this, charges of racism and xenophobia have been leveled against the Minuteman project by outsiders. Now a founding member is making allegations. If Minutemen are going to go ahead with this project, they need to be careful about the kind of people they attract.

Related News Links:
www.team4news.com
www.nctimes.com

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I do not see this as a real issue with Minuteman Project per se; it concerns only one small group in Texas. They as a whole do not represent "All Minutemen" and it is unjust to imply all Minutemen are racist just because of one small faction.

Keep in mind when one allegation was made Simcox immediately banned that member when the allegations were made. Also it was later found out even the allegations were nothing but lies and that is a fact

[edit on 7/28/2005 by shots]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I think that most Minutemen members probably aren't racists, but are instead trying to do something to deal with a problem the government seems to be ignoring. However, I still am a bit wary of things like this. I don't know about most Minuteman chapters, but the one in Goliad was armed. That seems too much like a militia to me....I'm not a big fan of militias.

Also, I think it's naive to believe that a project that is trying to keep foreigners out (whether that's good or bad) isn't going to attract racists and xenophobes. I suppose the attitude depends on the chapter, but as we all know, just a few people can screw things up for everyone else.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
how bout this. if our government did it's job, democrats and republicans alike, then such tasks as enforcing immagration laws and securing free flow over the border wouldn't have to be put in the hands of citizens. this issue wouldn't even exist if the average politician would step up.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Actually if anything this shows that the organization's founders and organizers aren't racist and are trying to work against it. This sort of levels the charge that the goal of the group is inherently racist.

And on the other hand it shows that racist nitwits are going to be attacted to the group.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is why I never supported the Minuteman project.

I'm sure many people involved in the Minuteman Project have only the best of intentions however I'm sure many do not. If a movement gets advertised on White Supremacist websites its going to attract a certain type of crowd regardless of the movements founding motivations.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
how bout this. if our government did it's job, democrats and republicans alike, then such tasks as enforcing immagration laws and securing free flow over the border wouldn't have to be put in the hands of citizens. this issue wouldn't even exist if the average politician would step up.

I doubt there is truly any such thing as an average politician. Several have stated they will do something about it and nothing ever got done. Bush signed a bill that allocated funds for 2000 additional border patrol agents and those funds got diverted and the border patrol only received 500 agents and I think those were only temps when the minuteman project was on this year. Once they left the border patrol was told not arrest anyone crossing the border and that was according to the head agent in AZ.

Many are trying but nothing ever gets done and I doubt it ever will each and every politician has his own agenda and that is to promote companies in their districts so there goes any hope. I doubt there are that many important businesses in Texas - AZ New Mex and california that even want them stopped from crossing the border if anything they would prefer the cheap labor so there again goes any hope to close our southern borders.

[edit on 7/28/2005 by shots]

top topics

join