It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kava Kava for Anxiety

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm 22 years old and I still haven't gotten over my childhood shyness. My shyness is pretty extreme and I can honestly say that it's kept me from doing several things in my personal and professional life. I've considered taking some medicine, but everyone thinks that it would change the type of person I am - plus, I don't want any of the other side affects.

I hear Kava Kava is good for anxiety and such. I was wondering if anyone has had any good experience from using it. Thanks

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hmmm we had real Kava when we in Fiji. It tastes really bad. Got a bit of a buzz but little else. The effects of Kava Kava have not really been well documented from a science standpoint.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I've always heard "kava kava" thrown around, just never really knew what it was...

Wikipedia (
) has some great information for you to research though...
en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting stuff.....Looks like it's illegal in Switzerland - Surprised it hasn't been axed here yet - Guess you might want to get it while you can....

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ah, the wikipedia. I forgot to check that. I'm going to see if I can get some from a herbal shop I know. If not, there's a few places I know on the internet.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
www.kcweb.com...

The kava in Vanuatu is infinitely superior to any other around the South Pacific.

Mildly narcotic, yes, mood elevating, can be.

Once only at BTS will I recount the time at a darkened kava bar in Port Vila when I had a dozen shells with a bunch of expat Kiwis and Aussies I had not met before, and upon collecting my round, I went to lie down on the log where I had been "entertaining" them with the "fluent and lively speech" that the linked site mentions, for a little while.

20 minutes later one man in the the group at the table said "No mate, you were telling that story to the group over there." My kava-ised self had happened to lie down on a different log in a different part of the (dark) yard without noticing, and no-one really seemed to mind.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I used to use that in the form of a health food product called "Kavatrol". Try it with a beer, and you could go out for hours. They withdrew it from the market when it became linkied with liver disease. Original kava kave is highly spoken off.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Okay - Out of my own interest....and b/c I guess I'm easily influenced when it comes to being a naturalist....lol....I stopped by the local Vitamin Shoppe here in town and picked up some kava nakamal juice 425 mg flash-frozen capsules....

As MA pointed out, apparently the best stuff comes from Vanatu, and this is pure root powder directly from there....so....

I mixed the kava with water, milk, coco powder and a little powdered sugar - Gave it a quick blend and took a sip - Even with the sugar and coco, it packs quite a potent flavor....So naturally, I chugged it

My tongue began to go a little numb and tingly...About a minute or so later, it kind of sunk in....

I wouldn't really compare its effects to alcohol - It's more like marijuana....If you're the kind of person who smokes for spiritual enlightenment, then you can easily handle the effects of what this kava will provide...

It will clear your mind out of all excess thoughts - That song you've had stuck in your head for days will "hit the road"....lol - You can close your eyes, mellow out and keep a steady stream of thoughts coming without worrying about your brain interjecting all those static worries you carry most of the time....But you can also easily drift into a conversation without apprehension, and so far, I've found without any loss of ethics or straying from the person who people know you as....Simply a more defined you....

Of course, this is just my first experience - And I've been reading it up on it ever since earlier today when I provided you that link, so it could all just be psychosomatic....
....But, like I said, I do have experience in other similar areas, and I'd have to say that I'm leaning towards the fact that it does what it promises and without the added drama that often can ensue with other similar drugs....

I don't think its something that should be used every night....And I don't think mixing it with anything else is a good idea, as in most cases....Just a rare treat that can still be legally enjoyed, saved for those special occasions - In my case, today was to satisfy my curiosity....

[edit on 7/28/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Hey, EnronOutrunHomerun!
Thanks for the links and the experimentation. If you like, I'd post my results soon.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Sure thing
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as I did – The effects last for quite an extended period of time – The numb tingly feelings will slowly go away, but they’re not so profound that they should cause any concern….

As a side note, I hope others reading this don't see this as some weakness or drug addiction....

Like just about anyone else in this world, I suffer from anxiety - I'm not so shallow or naive as to comfort myself with illegal narcotics, but if it's a natural substance that grows from this green Earth and has been used by indigenous cultures for thousands of years and is unaltered by chemicals....It's fair game....moderation and safety are paramount to me

Unless it’s just been “one of those days” of course

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I have taken the kava kava capsules that are available at various locations that sell herbal supplements.
I felt absolutely no change.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you have anxiety, I recommend eating for fruits and definitely dark green vegetables, if you go to your local health food store ask for this powder that is made up of dark green veggies, they will know what your talking about. I forget what's it called.. I personally made my own 10 bucks worth of veggies gone in two days... thats why i recommend the powder...

It's different.. not bad tasting, kind of fresh actually, give you energy and is just excellent for your body...

I was shy too until gr.3 then i met this girl and we became very very bad, personally I still get alittle shy sometimes but i'm learning that it's not so much shyness it's just i don't have alot to say about certain things cuz I don't CARE! lol, maybe you have that same thing lol...

good luck with whatever you do...

that girl i was friends with also had an anxiety problem a few years back and her mom got her st.john's wort, not sure if that did anything though.
I never thought she was anxious, just kind of angry towards her mom...(teenage stuff i guess)...

flaxseed oil is good too...

don't go on anti depressants though...

[edit on 5-8-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Just so you know a few beers will work as well

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Kava Kava rocks!

For those anxious moments i think its the greatest thing going. And you dont even have to live in Fiji..How great is that!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Kava Kava rocks!

It comes in rock form now?!

I've finished off the supply I bought not to long ago....Let me say one thing I didn't get a chance to elaborte on before....

Taken in fairly large doses, this stuff will make you waaaay relaxed....You're just running in super-chilled out mode...lol

And then you get really sleepy....But unlike those over-the-counter sleeping pills, when you wake up in the monring after taking some kava kava the night before, you're sooo refreshed - You feel like you got a perfect night's sleep...

And you wanna talk about some vivid dreams?!

I really can't say anything bad about it....Supposidly you can develop a skin condition if you use it for two weeks straight - If you're using it for two weeks straight though, I think it's fair to say you have other problems besides a bad skin condition...

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I've tried Kava Kava and noticed no changes or help from it. I find it useless like most "herbal" remedies.

Now, Xanax....that's an anxiety medication that works..... *wink*

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by XanaX
I've tried Kava Kava and noticed no changes or help from it. I find it useless like most "herbal" remedies.

Now, Xanax....that's an anxiety medication that works..... *wink*

Xanax, eh?

I'm finally going out to get some Kava Kava. I'm also a procrastinator.

I was proscribed Stratta (sp?) by to different doctors, but it was on the frist visit and I didn't think that was enough time. My friends think it will be a bad idea to pop those pills though. They think its going to compeltely change me, not just help my anxiety.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My anxiety is extremely bad.

I just finished High-school and still not quite sure what i'm going to do in terms of a career, so I needed a job until I figure out what in gods name i'm going to do with my life.
I had a job before, I worked for a couple of months and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It made me really depressed and I needed to be treated. I got to talk with a social worker for a couple of months and I was on four types of anti-depressants. They didn't seem to work so I quit them...And my job. (Which was only a simple part-time job!)

(All of the above happened about a year ago)

Now, today I went in for a job interview, which I thought went pretty well, so I was happy. They said they would call me in a couple of days to tell me if I got the job or not, so I went on my way with minor worries. About 5 hours later they call me and tell me i'm hired and they would like me to come in tomorrow to fill out papers and whatnot. After I got off the phone I walked down to my room and starting thinking about the job and took a serious panic attack that lasted for almost an hour. After the panic attacked passed, I just layed on my bed for hours in a state of awe and felt extremely exhausted. Now, because of that attack, there is no way i'm going to work. I'm way too scared and I'm starting to get depressed all over again. I can't even work a min. wage job. Sad.

This is a very scary situation for me.
I guess i'm going to have to get help all over again.

I was thinking maybe I should try one of these herbal remedies first.. What do you guys think?

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Useful 1diot]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Anxiety/depression drugs can be kind of scary, because sometimes they just make you numb and indifferent. That's what they did to me. My doc prescribed Librium for me when I was 11, after my dad died. It made me go completely insane. Instead of going to hang out with my friends, I just sat in my room all day. My mind was completely blank. Sure, I guess you can say I didn't feel any anxiety, but I didn't feel anything either. I only go to prescription drugs as a last resort. For my anxiety, I rely on illegal recreational drugs and alcohol, but yeah, that is bad and not reccomended. Something that really helped me with both my anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder was exercising and dieting. As far as a kava kava, a few years ago I was in Fiji, and it is customary for people to drink kava out of wooden bowls. My first impression of kava was that it tasted like crap. It made my mouth really numb, which I thought was awesome, and it made me feel a sense of peace and relaxation and just plain happiness. I am not sure about using it on a daily basis to fight chronic anxiety, I have never heard of anyone doing that. I am not sure if you build up tolerance or can be dependant on it or anything. You might want to research that before you try it. I think it is a lot better than pharmaceuticals though.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I found Xanax a big disappointment!

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Lorazepam (Ativan) is the most effective anxiolytic IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join