It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Strange Sounds From Saturn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Cassini has picked up some strange noises coming from Saturn. The noises are actually radio emissions which are apparently generated along with Saturn's northern and southern lights.

www.rednova.com
Saturn is a source of intense radio emissions, which have been monitored by the Cassini spacecraft. The radio waves are closely related to the auroras near the poles of the planet. These auroras are similar to Earth's northern and southern lights. This is an audio file of radio emissions from Saturn.

The Cassini spacecraft began detecting these radio emissions in April 2002, when Cassini was 374 million kilometers (234 million miles) from the planet, using the Cassini radio and plasma wave science instrument. The radio and plasma wave instrument has now provided the first high resolution observations of these emissions, showing an amazing array of variations in frequency and time. The complex radio spectrum with rising and falling tones, is very similar to Earth's auroral radio emissions. These structures indicate that there are numerous small radio sources moving along magnetic field lines threading the auroral region.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At first I didn't think this was anything conspiracy related, and I still suspect it's unlikely but when you listen to the sound at the bottom of that article it's actually pretty creepy!

Related News Links:
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov
www.sciencedaily.com
www.eurekalert.org
www.physorg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Spooky sounds from Saturn

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Why are they strange? They sound cool but the article says that they are the same kind of noises Earth's aurora gives off.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
``

a while back, the Art Bell/coast2coast radio show,
played an audio clip from a contributer
who stated that the audio was from a microphone
that was dropped into a very deep drilling into earth
~~it was characterized as "The sounds of 'Hades': ??"~~

the Saturn noise clip,-> sounds very similar to that older audio clip
...perhaps the conspiracy (or hoaxter) has finally been revealed??

as if it really matters...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The audio is actually just how we convert radio waves to waves that our ears are capable of detecting. As subz said, too, these same phenomena happen on Earth. Stars also make radio noises, even Mr. Sun. As the article says:

amazing array of variations in frequency and time

Now, if it were orderly radio waves, such as those coming from a man made device, I'd have to wonder. As it stands, though, it looks like this is just a natural phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The sounds are pretty much like the sounds that you get from the Earths atmospheric phenomena.
Have a look, err, or a listen here for more.

I don't know if I'm surprised that they sound that similar, or a bit disappointed.

Good find tho' !

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You can actually hear the northern or southern lights...I have been in northern Maine in the early autumn when there was an intense display and there was a distinct crackling or hissing noise in the air. I have talked to several other people about this and they all agree it can be heard but you have got to really be out in the sticks to hear it. The last time I did was standing on the frozen sabbathday lake in mid winter...it was awesome once you accustomed your ears to it...no wonder the primitives thought htey were spirits.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well although it's pretty natural, those sounds are pretty eery. I have to say they sound like something straight out of a sci-fi movie.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
They sound like the soundtrack that plays in space mountain when you're waiting in line.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
These "sounds" sound to me like every sci-fi movie I've ever seen from Buck Rogers to Rocky Horror Picture Show. This is interesting but in so far as the frequencies were so manipulated can these sounds have meaning? Granted there are radio waves coming from some source, which should be studied, but is the sound relevant at all?

Time on this recording has been compressed, so that 73 seconds corresponds to 27 minutes. Since the frequencies of these emissions are well above the audio frequency range, we have shifted them downward by a factor of 44.

[...]

Time on this recording has been compressed such that 13 seconds corresponds to 27 seconds. Since the frequencies of these emissions are well above the audio frequency range, we have shifted them downward by a factor of 260.

source

[edit on 2005/7/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I agree with Grady. We need to know what was done to the radio frequencies to get these sounds. I could make the same sounds with a short wave radio sitting here on Earth. No big find.

Yes, I've heard those sounds. Sounds like NASA is trying to get more funding for a new project.

Nice find Nova.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Definitely sounds like a Sci Fi movie. Hmm, now where did those old Sci Fi movies come get there sounds from? It's odd that it sounds like an old Sci Fi movie.

Troy

[edit on 31-7-2005 by cybertroy]

new topics

top topics

join