It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MICRO$OFT PLANNING TO RULE THE WORLD WITH SEARCH!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There have been a number of stories on Microsoft trying to do a 'Netscape' on Google.. what would a world in which Microsoft provides search look like? A search for 'linux' on msn.com give amazon and ebay as the top two results, and a microsoft site promoting migration from Linux to Windows as the fourth listing. A search on MSN India is even more amusing -- the top result is a dead link, and the second one is Linuxsucks.com
silicon.com...
search.msn.com...
www.msn.co.in...

So if theyre doing this for linux -- what's to stop them for other #?
These assholes could be determinging the search results for anything
And since MSN search is the default search for IE, how many people are aware of this #?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
wow thats pretty interesting stuff. i was never aware of this

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I am aware of it. Bill Gates wants not only to rule the computing world (which he already does), but he wants to rule the entertainment world as well. They wont stop until everything in your living room says Microsoft.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You're just noticing this? Heck, it's been going on for years on other search engines -- and it's really kind of moot. If you do a search on AOL for anything, the first things that come up are (gasp) AOL-paid listings.

And AOL is one of the top ten search engines. Try Yahoo... whoops! Somebody's buying top rankings! There are other search engines that have this same bias. They monitor this stuff on www.searchenginewatch.com -- but unless you're really into webmastering and positioning, you probably don't know it.

Here's a tidbit for you: search rankings aren't stable unless you buy the rights (expensive) to the position. Most of the search engines sell the first ten slots to advertisers. If you're on a biased engine, you just skip the first page and look on the second.

Even metasearchers aren't free from the paid listing bias.

The cure for that is teaching people how to do more sophisticated searches.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
hehe, I just read an article (in dutch) that they want to charge people for using MSN in the future. Also, they will make you download the latest version, the older ones will not be accepted.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Here's a tidbit for you: search rankings aren't stable unless you buy the rights (expensive) to the position. Most of the search engines sell the first ten slots to advertisers. If you're on a biased engine, you just skip the first page and look on the second.

That's not true, and actually against FCC regulations.

You can purchase paid returns which you'll notice in a "paid advertiser" section before normal search returns on all the major search engines... these are paid placements designed to look like search returns... but really aren't.

As far as the database of normal search results, accepting payment for placement is not kosher unless you specify that clearly (like GoTo.com did for a while).

We're number one on Google for searches under "government conspiracies" have haven't paid anyone anything (just smart site programming and a few other tricks).

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
hehe, I just read an article (in dutch) that they want to charge people for using MSN in the future. Also, they will make you download the latest version, the older ones will not be accepted.

Why am I not surprised.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Micro$oft makes me sick
i don't even like their OS because it loves to screw up now and again. I prefer linux and i got Red Hat installed on my other system

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Micro$oft makes me sick
i don't even like their OS because it loves to screw up now and again. I prefer linux and i got Red Hat installed on my other system

I would love to have many options as far as OS's are concerned. It sucks that you are basically forced to use Windows. I do a lot of Gaming and you have no choice but to use Windows. Linux ia a great alternative though. I plan on building a new machine next year - Linux only.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
best thing about linux is no blue screen of death every 5 mins. You would think mirco$oft could make a decent OS, but i most admit that win2k is pretty good

im getting a mac soon, so i can kiss good bye to evil windows

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Whatcha getting??? My personal machine is an iBook, but my company machine is, is, is (he he he) a 17inch PowerBook with 1gig of RAM (mmmwwwaahahahahahaha)

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   

best thing about linux is no blue screen of death every 5 mins. You would think mirco$oft could make a decent OS, but i most admit that win2k is pretty good

The Blue screens you talk about are a thing of the past. I use Windows XP PRO on my new machine. The machine is basically on 24/7 and not once have I gotten a blue screen or had my computer freeze. But I guess thats because of the great job I did building it
. I would love to get a MAC eventually. Maybe an ibook.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
im getting an eMac

i wanted a iMac but my parents said i would be taking the piss at that price

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This is the one I would get!

PowerBook G4

15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
1GB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/66
SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
64MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400

AirPort built-in
Bluetooth optional
DVI & S-Video out

I want I want I want!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turk 182
There have been a number of stories on Microsoft trying to do a 'Netscape' on Google.. what would a world in which Microsoft provides search look like? A search for 'linux' on msn.com give amazon and ebay as the top two results, and a microsoft site promoting migration from Linux to Windows as the fourth listing. A search on MSN India is even more amusing -- the top result is a dead link, and the second one is Linuxsucks.com
silicon.com...
search.msn.com...
www.msn.co.in...

So if theyre doing this for linux -- what's to stop them for other #?
These assholes could be determinging the search results for anything
And since MSN search is the default search for IE, how many people are aware of this #?

Thats why most people use Google.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The only benefits of Windows XP is that itis a rock-solid Operating System and it actually looks likes some work was put into it. Unfortunately it is spoilt by the amount of spyware riddled within. Can Micro$oft do anything right?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

Originally posted by Byrd

That's not true, and actually against FCC regulations.

You can purchase paid returns which you'll notice in a "paid advertiser" section before normal search returns on all the major search engines... these are paid placements designed to look like search returns... but really aren't.

As far as the database of normal search results, accepting payment for placement is not kosher unless you specify that clearly (like GoTo.com did for a while).

We're number one on Google for searches under "government conspiracies" have haven't paid anyone anything (just smart site programming and a few other tricks).

That's actually what I meant to say... just too braindead to formulate it properly. I'm having a DUH! moment, here.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrEisenhower
The only benefits of Windows XP is that itis a rock-solid Operating System and it actually looks likes some work was put into it. Unfortunately it is spoilt by the amount of spyware riddled within. Can Micro$oft do anything right?

Only spyware in WINXP that i know is WMP8 (also 9) and, if you like so, also error reporting.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

thats a fact, i searched for something the other day on google and ats was top of the list!!

new topics

top topics

join