It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has anyone successfully mutually terminated their lease?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I can't really live with my roommate. We share the bottom floor of a two story house (top story is seperated from bottom). He's a alright guy but there are several problems.

I've asked him to let me know a head of time if he's going to have a party so I can make plans to get out of the place. But he constantly lets me know 5 minutes before it starts, which is no time. He has a party every other week; sometimes another one the next day.

His parties start late, like midnight and last until about 3am. I've talked to him ni the past about keeping the noise level down and having things clear by 2am, but it's not working.

We don't dislike each other or anything, but he's young, 20 or so, not going to school, and just wants to drink, party. I'm 25 and going to school so I don't have time. I'm also trying to work my school's intellectal property division and I'm going to need some serious quiet for that ... all in all this situation isn't working otu.

So i'm wondering if anyone was able to accomplish a mutually terminated lease agreement between themselves and their landlord. If so, how did you do it?

As for myself, I have several ideas. My landlord is a pretty nice guy, so iw as thinking of saying that we both didn't like each other and would the landlord accept a re-assignation of the lease to another person (i'd find them). Now's the time to do it because its just before August, when a lot of college students move in.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I've done it once.
But I found a replacement for myself.
Landlords care about cashflow.
You think you could find someone willing to take your
place on the lease?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Im pretty sure. Hell i can probably get my roommate to help me out.

Did you find a place to live first or did you scramble to find a place after you got someone?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I already had a place..which was the incentive for me to move from the other.
I recommend not being homeless.
Are you able to come up with a deposit, and what ever other extra money the new place might require?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well, I got a variety of tricks I can use:

What I'm thinking of is getting a single on the university; you only have to pay a little bit upfront and then pay rest when the semester is over. I'm assuming it university housing is a given, so I would apply and get that then.

Then, as in now, I would go look for a place off campus. I think I'd like a place for myself but I'm not sure if I can afford the rent. I'll look for good roommates (I know what questions to ask now) and for apartments. I'm pretty sure I can find something before school starts.

So with another place in hand, I would move in there and cancel my university housing. University housing would be a back up.

Today, he just fniished his 5th get together for the 5th day in a row. He had music up till 4 am, although it was quiet. He's trying, I can see, he takes everyone outside and they chill out there. But these walls are very thin and music just comes on in... Then aruond 4am some huge fat girl came by and started kicking my roomies door. She was very drunk and probably underage. This kciking goes on for like 30 minutes until i come out and ask what th ehell is going on.

Roommate comeso ut, they argue ... apparently she wants him to leave or stop messing with someone. They bluster about calling the cops. While this is going on I look for something non-alcoholic to drink. I had just went to walmart when the banging/kickign started so ic ould get out there and get soem food. I brought two powerades and soem candy.

So while these peple are bitching I go and look for my powerade. One's missing. This is #ing bull# i say. My roommate must've thought I was talking about the situation and ejected the other fat women out of his room (wast hat awomen? i dont know). They both left and all was pretty quiet.

Except that, I had my food stolen from my fridge again. The other day I had a simple towel crunked up with black stuff and thrown away. All th etime, for the past 5 days, you've had music an dpeople milling about past 3am, some days worst than others.

I specifically got my roommate to agree that things should quiet down by 2am, but obviously our definition of quiet down is very different. I admit, thigns do quiet down, but if you want quiet when you sleep forget it. Oh god i could go on. But i just needed to let this all out.

I have to move out.

P.S. To top it all off, I can't find my lease, which appears to have gone missing. Who the # woudl steal a lease!??! I'm going to tear my room apart cleaning it and start putting up signs to check my place out. Woe and beware to the next dweller!

P.S.S. 2 : i found my lease. But not my Fruit Punch Powerade that was stolen within 30 minutes of placing it in the freezer.

[edit on 30-7-2005 by ktprktpr]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
ANother miracle has occured:

Got my pizza slices stolen.

I don't want to sound like a ninja turtle but this pisses me off.

I'm thinking I should put something with a GPS transmitter in the fridge and call the cops on em when it "walks out of" my refrigator. Maybe a pair of headphones. Or a cell phone with GPS enabled, although the cops don't do much if the item in question is under a certain amount. I wonder if the situation changes when the object is trackable and can lead to an arrest?

In other news, my roommate said he'd be able to get a couple of guys willing to take over my lease. For once I actually believe him. It would be a relief for both of us. I drove around town (good time for this # to happen) and found 13 places to move into. I'll start calling tmmrw. I'm also getting all my class work done ahead of time so i'll have several extra days off to look for a new place to live.

Any advice for the ol' K?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
well if found my own place and my roommate showed my room to two other people (with me around, of course). Now all I need to do is wait for the landlord to come back...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Thats good to hear!
I 've had my share of crappy, and unusual roomates.
I even had one roomate that changed personalities somewhere around the third
beer...Even his accent changed..Unfortunately his other personality was also a kleptomaniac..LOL

new topics

top topics

join