It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptic overlord and his avatar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
hopfully skeptic overlord will see this i was just wondering how you can change your avatar each time the page refreshes like skeptic overlord do you have to upload you pictures to a website that gives you a link in php?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's all done with the magic of php. (See my Avatar). That's hypertext pre-processor. Here's a good example of one of these scripts if you are wanting to use one.

automaticlabs.com...

This one is pretty simple. If you wanted to spend the time you could change it to have a different image for BTS and ATS, a special image on Mondays. Notice how my signature shows my current weather conditions. (if we're not in low-bandwidth mode) It will even show the current song I'm listening to if I want it to. Your imagination is the limit.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

A word of caution. If you use one of these, make sure you size the images correctly or you end up with an avatar that's too big. If people were to abuse this then I'm sure we'd lose the ability to use a script as an avatar.

[edit on 28-7-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
ok is the ats running a mac server?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Darn.

I was hoping to find the Skeptic Signal in here.
However this is good info anyway

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wrote a simple one with Perl/CGI, it was pretty easy.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to help me test out a random avatar website I made? Let me explain, it's in the early stages of development, but the part that works is very neat.

If you're interested in having a random avatar, but don't have the php skills or a server to put them on, then send me a U2U like a good little Guinea pig... I mean beta tester. I'm looking for someone that will actually use it and doesn't mind the possiblity of finding a bug in the site.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm up for it dbates, both the PHP and the random/rotating av.

I use a quick little cgi file and will gladly share if it suits. Wrap it up with a PHP "photo gallery" script and simply draw off the user upload directory.

Let's go ...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i had a rotating avatar, it used to work but I had to point to a .php file. About 1 month ago it stopped working, not sure why. Maybe pointing to .php was a security hazzard and SO plugged it.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
you could also probably simulate it with an animated gif.

so many frames of one, so many frames of the next, and so on.

or try adjusting the delay between frames, if you have software that will let you do that.

[edit on 3/9/2006 by larry994]

top topics

join