It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to drill 11km underground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This is a bit like the rumour about the people drilling deep under the earth and recording screaming from hell, except this time it's real, and no hell (yet).

News.com.au

JAPANESE scientists are preparing to dig into the Earth up to 11,000m deep for the first time in human history to unlock the mysteries of life in an attempt to figure out how civilisation came to be and how to save it.

I didn't know where to put this but I found it interesting.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Tell them to do drilling above dulce base

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Theres a few old threads about it, but there old enough to not matter, I think its pretty cool though.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Theres a few old threads about it, but there old enough to not matter, I think its pretty cool though.

Oh, I just figured it was new because of the date on the page.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is great, good find. I don't see any other threads on it.

I don't know about drilling ot learn about civilizations, except insofar as they might be able to answer some questions about the origns of life.

This is really great, they talking about drilling into the Mantle. No One has ever drilled thru the crust, which is an absurdly thin layer upon the earth. Our ideas about the makeup and behaviour of the mantle are 'theoretical' and based on 'in-direct observations' mostly. This will be a real milestone. Its like going to the moon (ok, mibbe not to everyone). Its physcially reaching into a realm of the world that's never been touched!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well than japanese..prepar ur diamond drills.. lolz

[edit on 29-7-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
How will drilling 11KM deep unlock the mysteries of life, how civilization came about, and how to save it? 11K is very deep, probably no rock has seen the light of day down there for hundreds of millions of years. How will that tell us how civilization has come about? So many questions.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've heard the screams before, give me some time and I'll find them for you.

Pretty scary stuff but Im still undecided.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yeah I don't see the connection to civilization, short of questions about the origins of life are related because you need life for civilization.

As far as the connection to the origings of life, drilling that deep might result in a few things. One is fossils of extremely ancient life, older than whats had now. Another is that there might be really primitive, basic, lifeforms downthere, and that might answer something about how much life can tolerate and where it can form. There are, for example, bacteria that live deep, deep underground and surive on pure rock.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here we go, didn't take long.
I listened to this about a year ago.

Screams of Hell?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Screams of Hell has been PROVEN to be a hoax people

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yeah but we still like to imagine, gives us a better feeling.

reality sucks!

top topics

join