It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to attend Scout Services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have a real problem with this trip for our President. He has not attended a single funeral for one of our fallen soldiers yet he is making a trip to attend a memorial service for 4 fallen Boy Scout troop leaders.

This makes no sense to me. Is it because the Scouts are so pro-god and linked to the far right? I am sorry these people died, I am sorry for the people who die everyday. I have a special place in my heart though for the ones that give their lives in service to this country. I wish he did as well.

BOWLING GREEN, Va. - More than 300 Boy Scouts were sickened by the heat Wednesday while waiting for President Bush to arrive at a memorial service for four Scout leaders who were killed while pitching a tent beneath a power line.

Bush to attend Scout Memorial Service

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I heard that Bush was planning on making a speech to the Scouts at this event even before the tragic death of those four leaders. He probably decided that since he is going to be there anyway, he might as well attend the funeral (and get some PR points in the process).

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I had heard that as well. This gathering by the scouts is an event held every four years and offers a great number of events for the scouts and they have many presentations by many supporters.

I think many of you dwell too much on the religious aspect of the organization when thats not the biggest aspect of it. The Scouts give boys and girls an alternative to the more detrimental life they may lead at that age by providing structure, teaching skills which foster self respect and respect for others as well. Scouts take on civic activities that make positive contributions to their local community. I dare say none of you will stand bye and allow a muslim organization to be criticized because of its religion if its work in the community is positive. Its the same thing. This is a private non-profit organization which has a long standing tradition and record of doing positive things. If our elected officials are going to be effective at all, the religion of these groups cannot be a factor in supporting them morally. The scouts already support themselves financially which is more than we can say for many organizations.

When the goal of any president or elected offical is to positively influence youth, how could they overlook a gathering of so many in one placem without showing the support for their good work? These boys could be in a back alley robbing someone instead of learning to tie a square knot and paddle a canoe. The bad thing is, many of you see the former as perferable.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
The Scouts give boys and girls an alternative to the more detrimental life they may lead at that age by providing structure, teaching skills which foster self respect and respect for others as well. Scouts take on civic activities that make positive contributions to their local community.

Not to get off-topic, but that sounds surprisingly like the military, especially that first sentence.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Not to get off-topic, but that sounds surprisingly like the military, especially that first sentence.

That may be your opinion but I don't think it does at all. Skills and self respect are traits taught to kids to allow them to excel.

The military teach the skills needed to kill people. Thats their job. That some of those skills can be used in the private sector is a plus but the main overall goal is to kill people.

Big difference in the skill to build a fire and the skill to lay down fire.

top topics

join