It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(submission) US District Judge's Comments on Constitutional Rights of The Millennium Bomber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
U.S. District Judge John C. Coughenour's comments on the Sentencing of Ahmed Ressam. Ahmed Ressam was arrested Dec. 14, 1999 for plotting to bomb Los Angeles International Airport. He was convicted last April in a month long jury trial. Ahmed Ressam is not an American citizen and is commonaly known as the "Millennium Bomber".

seattlepi.nwsource.com
"First, that we have the resolve in this country to deal with the subject of terrorism and people who engage in it should be prepared to sacrifice a major portion of their life in confinement.

"Secondly, though, I would like to convey the message that our system works. We did not need to use a secret military tribunal, or detain the defendant indefinitely as an enemy combatant, or deny him the right to counsel, or invoke any proceedings beyond those guaranteed by or contrary to the United States Constitution.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

People in America have a Constitution and BOR and take it forgranted. They allow it to slowly slip away, until oneday the Constitution and BOR will be only in the text books and not used in practice at all, but it will be the norm...because overtime we allowed it to happen. The best Judges in other countries (ie, the Middle East) are not even half the Judge as Mr. Coughenour. I think 22 years is getting off light, IMO. But the Constitution was upheld and justice was served. Kudos to the Judge.

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
archives.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27/7/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That Judge is correct. The system does work--if you let it. I get scared when people try to give away the rights and freedoms Americans have fought and died for in the name of "Security".

join