It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think Christianity is against science?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have noticed people saying this alot lately, that the Christian view is against science. It appears many people think that mankind should be left unrestrained in all types of experimenting, and if so the world would progress greatly. I believe God has placed limits on what man has been allowed to undertake, but at the same time He has allowed us with some freedom to show us what we are capable of(I don't mean that in a good way) and the consequences.

Scientists have done amazing things. Vaccines have been developed that have saved lives. A good thing.

On the other hand, with the invention of the atomic bomb happened, the thing I remember hearing from my history teacher was it was a good thing because it probably ended WWII sooner and saved more lives, this is debatable.

Now with alot of countries having nuclear weapons and some of those countries looking to increase their stature in the world and some simply having great hatred for others, if there is a localized or even greater nuclear war my teachers comment would be wrong.

The point I would like to make is that christians are not against scientific endeavors, but the way we go about these things and how far we go, is what we are talking about.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Any nation that was completely against science would not last long in the world if it had enemies or something the other countries wanted. So i don't think there is any chance of any country completely abandoning scientific practises regardless of how religious they are. I don't know why some are against it but realistically there isn't much of a choice unless you can convince everyone else to go back to living in the dark ages. My guess is religious folks don't like it because it encourages you to question things that they think religion has already explained well enough.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I see a littler confusion here, Christians are not against sciences as long as the issue is not about creation vs evolution.

That is when the debate starts, also young earth believers vs scientific research on the time line of earth.

I am not a Christian believer and I am against weapons of mass destruction of any kind but I back science on any other issue.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
I have noticed people saying this alot lately, that the Christian view is against science.

I think rather people are noticing that the people that are against science are christians, and that they reject science from a christian context. But obviously 'christians', as a whole, don't reject science, the vast majority of scientists are christians in the first place!

It appears many people think that mankind should be left unrestrained in all types of experimenting, and if so the world would progress greatly.

I think its a mistake to think that without christianity science will have no restriants. There are other religions that can serve the same purpose just as well. Also, Ethical Humanism is a non-religious, rational, ethical system that also puts strong limits on what is appropriate to do with science.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There is a religion out there that masquerades as science. It is evolution.
Its primary system of beliefs are all 'theory'. It props itself up with a type of dogma that it calls science.
When trying to decipher this religion you will find that all links are broken or missing. The scientific dating (timeline) methods that the religion does depend on are really assumptions.
Very little to no science involved. Just a dogma dependant on funding to survive...and controlled by that funding.

When you realize who is accusing christians of hating science, you will notice they are whom I spoke of above

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Science has never been "pose as religion" but creation has been used to link to science.

Creationist was the first one to link evolution as a religion to pursue their own views.

Evolution has never been a "religion" and creation is not a "science" and can never be one.

The applications given to science can never fit in the Ideology of creation.

top topics

join